Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Famous lines from movies

Holy flaming nitrate!

It is now January the oneth, 2007... and, one week after the fact, NO ONE has posted the correct answer to my poser of December 25, to wit:

"If you'll take the advice of a very old butler, sir... you should take the next boat train to Paris, and there you shall fall in love with the very first girl you see."

Who said that, and in what movie?

The answer is: Jose Ferrer, in "Deep in my Heart" (1954).

In 1954, Ferrer was only 45 years of age. But, in playing the lead role of composer Sigmund Romberg, in "Deep in my Heart" he has a scene where he is explaining to his guests the plot of a new show he is working on. In a brilliant, brilliant scene, Ferrer plays ALL the parts, including that of the "very old butler."

In case you've never seen "Deep in my Heart," be advised that IMHO it is the BEST biopic ever, even including "The Jolson Story."

Okay, posters... Take it away!

Dan N.

Well, Dan, dear, if I may point out -- the title of this thread is "Famous" lines from movies. I'm just not very good at memorizing every line of dialog from every film I've ever seen.

To me, a "famous" line from a movie would be "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn," or "E.T. phone home," and possibly something like "I'm a bad boy," from every Abbott & Costello movie ever made.

I don't think I've heard anyone quoting any lines from "Deep in My Heart" for many years, now. I've seen that movie, and I don't remember those particular lines being spoken. I researched this quote, but I couldn't find it.

Maybe if you change the title of this thread from "Famous" to "Obscure Lines from (Possibly Obscure) Movies" you'll get more players, and I don't mean that sarcastically. When people come onto this thread, they probably expect they are going to know the lines, since the line should be "famous." If you cued them from the outset that this is going to be more of a challenge, you'd get a more appropriate audience. I think I know old movies pretty well, and I rarely recognize the quotes most recently given here. (I think you're lucky to have such a prodigious memory.)

Regards, Judith

Judith, you make a good point about the word "Famous" in the title of this thread. And you know, if there were no such thing as the Internet, we could play the "famous lines" game all day long.

Who said: "You can see now?" Who said: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," and who said "Well, nobody's perfect?" All these lines are so famous, they would be answered in an instant.

But there is a humongous repository of "Memorable quotes" in the IMDb, a frequent source for puzzlers on this thread. You can look up most any line and find it there. And I ask you: Where is the sport in THAT?

Or you can google the line, and probably find it there. Again, I ask: Where is the fun in that?

When I post a "famous line" poser to this thread, I always check to make sure the line is NOT shown in the Memorable Quotes section of IMDb... because that would make it too easy. Even so, a few weeks ago, I posted an obscure line to this thread (from "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?"), and Bill McCrary had no trouble divining the correct answer, simply by using deductive reasoning. Remember, with every incorrect guess, you get a new hint. And that brings you closer to the correct answer.

I think the lines we pose should be "pithy" -- that is to say, they should have some special significance about them that suggests the correct film title. Don't quote lines such as "I love you," or "I'll see you later." Those are in every movie that comes down the pike.

But when you find a quote that is meaningful in itself, and also provides a clue, however obscure, to the title of the film, I think that should be considered fair game for this thread.

Maybe you'd like us to all pose questions like "Here's looking at you, kid"... and then everyone would be an expert.

Cheers,

Dan N.

I was thinking about the same thing. But "Jos? Ferrer" really through me. I was thinking William Powell as Godfrey or Alan Mowbray (Topper Takes a Trip) or even John Gielgud as Hobson in 1981's Arthur.

My brother-in-law is always "running" movie lines for me to guess. BUT they're newer films like "Dodgeball or Elf. It drives me NUTS.......I'd try harder if they were classic films.

Peace.....

vallo

No, No - it wouldn't be much fun if it were too easy. Frankly, I don't find IMDb all that helpful for locating quotes. They pick up some really weird words as keywords. Try searching "boat train." I just mean you shouldn't get so frustrated when answers don't spring up. Your selections *are* difficult ones. I'm thinking that many posters are attracted to the thread because of the name, and then back off when they see what tough questions you ask.

My suggestion was to change the name of the thread, which I think is a bit misleading as it stands. Just as there's a thread called "Trivia Quiz for Beginniners," perhaps there should be degrees of movie quote difficulty as well. That way, the real pros can home in on your challenges. I'm not one of those - I have to stay on the Donald Duck slope of quotation trivia. Now, if you want to know what any three actors have in common, I'm there!

You fooled me with this one - I didn't even look at it til now.

Let's see:

They all have public places named after them?

They are all on postage stamps?

They all worked with Hitchcock?

2/3 of the group were Canadian?

They all had a glass eye? (Well, at least Cronyn did - that's the only thing I know for sure about these three gentlemen.)

OK, Bill. Note that I said "I'm there," not "I can solve them." A little nudge, please?

I guess you noticed/realized by now - it was Dan's challenge, not mine (I haven't put one up on the sites yet). I'm about as lost as anyone on this one, and Dan's deleted his comments.

Help!

Bill

Or are we supposed to give up and start a fresh one (or did it move to another thread - I haven't checked them yet today)?

>...I must correct what you wrote. It's "Made it, Ma! Top 'o the world!"

I agree that filmlover's version is the correct repetition of the Cagney quote.

Now I would like to post two of my favorite quotes. Scheduling dictates that I

won't be able to return to this site until Friday, Jan.19. I'll see then if I've drawn

any answers. Here goes:

#1. "Now, Henry, you a rich man. And a rich man can' t afford to go broke. You

go on up there to New York, and get you some money."

#2. "Selling your soul is one thing. But your copyrights? How COULD you?

--cmvgor, aka flickerfan

Hi, cmygor, sorry, we have to answer inglis' other quote first before new ones can be added:

"The Greeks believed that man was immortal as long as his name was remembered on earth . These were two good seamen"

Frankly, I have no idea, inglis. I will take a guess it is a war film..."In Which We Serve"?