Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Famous lines from movies

relax sez:

"Charles Coburn in the movie with Jean Arthur about the store guy posing as a worker.???.. the dummy was in the protest parade."

And relax is RIGHT!!! "The Devil and Miss Jones" (1941) is the movie, and Coburn plays the richest man in the world, grumbling that protesters have hoisted an effigy of him.

You go, relax! Hey, I like your screen name!

Dan N.

"Ooooooooh... I love these... and why in the world , I, the female Woody Allen [You know like has his hangups] picked relax for a screen name ... eludes me at this time... do another one!!!!!!!!"

Thanks, relax. Here's an easy one for you.

"Elizabeth! Money isn't everything. You could LEARN to love me!"

Who said that, and in what film?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

> Maybe Bartlett was thinking Dan Akroyd in Trading

> Places and got mixed up.

>

> CharlieT

Thanks for the lifeline CharlieT you are a kind and decent Board Member!........ Yeah, Yeah that's the ticket Dan Akroyd! What else could it be? Yeah that's the ticket!...Yeah Yeah "Trading Places" that's the ticket!!!

Bartlett

What movie is the phrase 'blonde on a bum trip' from?

I could SWEAR it's from a Busby Berkeley musical, because I wrote it down along with other quotes* from Golddiggers of 1933 and 1935, 42nd St, and Dames, which TCM showed a couple months ago. Also I watched 'I Want to Live' around the same time, but I've watched all these again and can't find it.

At any rate, it must be from some movie shown on TCM within the same few days as their Busby Berkeley series.

I am not referring to the time Candy Darling says it Andy Warhol's Women in Revolt ('more like, bum on a blonde trip'), nor to the 1960's exploitation movie with this name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

*'What does he use? I'll smoke it too.'

'Cheap and vulgar!!!'

'I'm free, white, and 21 -- I want to dance and I'm GOING to dance!'

>

> Meanwhile, can we get back to the "famous line" in

> this thread?

>

Meanwhile, can we get back to reading the messages in the first place?

I specifically stated in my post that I was not referring to the movie you mention.

Though I might be interested to know how a movie from the 30s could quote a movie from 1968.

I think I've got it.

Kim Basinger is named Elizabeth in NINE AND A HALF WEEKS. So I guess it's Mickey Rourke asking her to love him.

Sorry, no. Wrong Elizabeth.

Maybe it will help you trivia buffs if I tell you that this is the FUNNIEST line in the entire film.

"Elizabeth! Money isn't everything. You could LEARN to love me!"

Who said that, and in what movie?

Dan N.

well if i can jump in...

i know this is wrong, but i figured nobody has replied and there are no new hints...

soooo

is it from "what's new **** cat?"

the woody allen flic....

i am really stumped, i could think of a about 10 movies where this line could fit, but

i can't seem to be able to put my finger on the decade.

so there's is a shot in the dark.

thanks Dan.

Karith:)

The Devil and Miss Jones.... Mr Merrick, Charles Coburn to Elizabeth, Spring Byington. She does not think she could love a man who is rich!!!!!!!!!

Silly girl!!

Absolutely correct, keywest!!

In context, that line -- "Elizabeth! Money isn't everything... you could LEARN to love me!" -- is the funniest line in the movie, and one of the funniest lines ever. Because that sort of talk is usually spoken by a POOR man. But here, it is used by the richest man in the world. Funny stuff.

Now it's your turn, keywest.

Dan N.