Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What would you like to see on TCM?

I would like to see TCM focus on getting all the old movies from the 20's and 30's into their library. A prime example is all those 50 or so Clara Bow movies, I think TCM has shown 2 of them. They need to forget about getting the modern movies that we can all see on DVD or other cable channels and put their money into getting those movies that no one gets to see anymore.

"There are probably less than a handful of movies each decade starting in 1960 that are worth watching at all." - arrakis

I highly disagree.

Just because there are several bad movies these days (as with any other decade) doesn't mean that it's a bad time for movies. I, personally, feel that the 70's produced TONS of great movies. The 80's produced a few. The 90's actually produced several. And there are good movies these days as well. Movie genres are too scattered now though so it's hard to keep up with everything.

To be quite honest, I don't even understand why some "classic" movies are classic...

Anyway, I'd like to see more movies (particularly the ones from the 60's and 70's) based around espionage.

Message was edited by:

Ipcress

Dear Ipcress

I see by the number of posts you have submitted, that you are a newcomer to the TCM message boards. There is one thing you must learn immediately before you have a nervous breakdown.

Without fail, newbies are thrown into confusion over the definition of the word 'Classic' as used on these message boards. This is followed by long frantic posts by the newbie trying to explain to us all the true meaning of the word 'Classic' as they understand it (I did this myself until it finaly sunk in).

Forget it ! ! ! !

'Classic' movies in the context of the TCM message boards simply refers to a time period. i.e. pre 1960's movies. sometimes called the 'Classic age' or 'Golden age'. It has no deeper meaning than that.

Get over it, and get used to it.

By the way I agree with your post, there have been many excellent movies produced after the so-called 'Classic' period (you and I would call them 'Classics').

Regards

I agree somewhat with you. The so called classic channels are losing faith in our true gems attractiveness. There is no way movies like "Working Girl" 1988 should be on classics channels. You can see it any day on the traditional channels.

There are so many gems of Yul Brenner,Broderick Crawford and many more "classic actors that have been in the vault wasting away. My interpretation of the classics are those from the 70's on back that probably most of our children born after 1980 have never seen except for the remake versions. When is the last time "Autumn Leaves" with Joan Crawford with a beautiful title song by Nat King Cole has been seen by anyone?

• 5 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind if they played any classic movies that hasn't been on TCM Canada since April, and which aren't available at my local library. So if they had more movies by Fassbinder, Mizoguchi, Visconti, Rossellini, Celine and Julie Go Boating, I'd be pleased.

They haven't had "Sweet Smell of Success," "My Darling Clementine," "Kind Hearts and Coronets," "Red River," "Intolerance," "Modern Times," "City Lights," "Barry Lyndon," "The Lady Eve," "Shadow of a Doubt," "West Side Story," "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," "Great Expectations," "The Bride of Frankenstein," "All Quiet on the Western Front," "Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia," "Chimes at Midnight," and "The Best Years of Our Lives" on recently. Since I haven't seen any of them it would be nice if they did.

Since the subject just happened to surface in another thread, I would like to see The Creeping Flesh with Peter Cushing. In contrast, I wish to see Emma again, with Marie Dressler.

TCM is the best network on the air, but they're beginning to be repetitive with so many films, and show others so scarcely! They should rotate some of these out and show some of the ones buried deep in the archives!

And STOP showing films from the 1980s and 1990s! They're NOT classics!

Larry

http://lwsroute66.proboards57.com/

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but I'm dying to see the first released Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.

I've kept a lookout on TCM for a couple of films I'd like to see -which I have or haven't already seen- and there's no sign of them. As soon as I get lazy from this checking a grand film comes on.

But yeah, LOTR Trilogy, Ben-Hur, Boom Town, The Champ, The Seven Faces Of Dr Lao, and A Yank At Eton is what I can think of for the moment.

I would like to see classic interviews.ESPN has them,LIFETIME has had the old biograhies and interviews.I think something along the lines of both biographies and old interviews from classic stars compiled from the different interviews they have provided over the years would be a welcome addition to THE BEST CLASSIC CHANNEL on TV today.

I would like to see classic interviews.>>

Cinemabuff,

You're in luck. They're coming in either Sept or October. Dick Cavett's interviews from the late 1960s/1970s with classic film stars.

I'd like to see some of the less played titles get more playtime.

I haven't seen Eleanor Powell's Born to Dance or Rosalie in a REALLY long time. I also haven't seen Mario Lanza in That Midnight Kiss or Jane Powell in Holiday in Mexico for quite some time. MORE LANZA AND POWELL AND KATHRYN GRAYSON!!! Some Norma Shearer would be most welcome - The Barretts of Wimpole Street, Smilin' Through, Marie Antoinette, Romeo & Juliet, Idiot's Delight, Her Cardboard Lover, Riptide, The Divorcee.

"I haven't seen Eleanor Powell's Born to Dance or Rosalie in a REALLY long time. I also haven't seen Mario Lanza in That Midnight Kiss or Jane Powell in Holiday in Mexico for quite some time. MORE LANZA AND POWELL AND KATHRYN GRAYSON!!! Some Norma Shearer would be most welcome - The Barretts of Wimpole Street, Smilin' Through, Marie Antoinette, Romeo & Juliet, Idiot's Delight, Her Cardboard Lover, Riptide, The Divorcee."

I'm happy to report that a few Eleanor Powell movies will be screened over the next months, starting with Lady Be Good next Thursday. Unfortunately however, neither Born to Dance nor Rosalie are among them. I'm hoping TCM will devote November 21 to Miss Powell, as it's her birthday. We should find out any day now...

That Midnight Kiss will be broadcast on September 5. Holiday in Mexico was on only last week. I'm so sorry you missed it! Marie Antoinette will be broadcast on October 22 and 25, in conjunction with the DVD release that month. Idiot's Delight and Riptide were just played a couple of months ago. That was a great day on TCM!