Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What would you like to see on TCM?

Caine Mutiny! Fiddler on the Roof! More Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn vehicles please! Hardly ever see these two ladies on TCM lately. They are arguably two of the best actresses of all time, they should get a lot more play. Really enjoyed Audrey Hepburn day.

Brad

> "More Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn vehicles

> please! Hardly ever see these two ladies on TCM

> lately."

>

> But, but, but the entire month of May was devoted to

> Miss Davis. It was swell though!

Darn it all, I didn't have cable yet in May. And why in the world would Miss Davis not have a day during Summer under the Stars? Oh well, I'll just try to remain patient :-)

Brad

Too bad, Mr. Ranger. May was definitely a great Bette Davis month. As I recall, two days of every week were devoted to her flicks. And they premiered the new documentary on her life (that was included in the volume II DVD set of her work).

But take heart, there's plenty of Bette coming on TCM:

20,000 years in Sing Sing - September 11

Juarez - September 22

Now, Voyager - September 25

Jezebel - October 5

The Letter - October 5

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte - October 5, 10, 14

The Little Foxes - October 8

Pocketful of Miracles - October 21

> Too bad, Mr. Ranger. May was definitely a great

> Bette Davis month. As I recall, two days of every

> week were devoted to her flicks. And they premiered

> the new documentary on her life (that was included in

> the volume II DVD set of her work).

>

> But take heart, there's plenty of Bette coming on

> TCM:

>

> 20,000 years in Sing Sing - September 11

> Juarez - September 22

> Now, Voyager - September 25

> Jezebel - October 5

> The Letter - October 5

> Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte - October 5, 10,

> 14

> The Little Foxes - October 8

> Pocketful of Miracles - October 21

Thank you, I will look forward to those. Out of that bunch, Jezebel and Now, Voyager are the only ones I've seen.

"I will look forward to those. Out of that bunch, Jezebel and Now, Voyager are the only ones I've seen."

Be sure to see The Little Foxes; that's one of Bette Davis' greatest roles. It's based on Lillian Hellman's excellent play, and there are some knock-out supporting performances by Herbert Marshall, Patricia Collinge and Teresa Wright.

> "I will look forward to those. Out of that bunch,

> Jezebel and Now, Voyager are the only ones I've

> seen."

>

> Be sure to see The Little Foxes; that's one of

> Bette Davis' greatest roles. It's based on Lillian

> Hellman's excellent play, and there are some

> knock-out supporting performances by Herbert

> Marshall, Patricia Collinge and Teresa Wright.

Thanks, I'll be sure to catch that. BTW, I liked being called Mr. Ranger :-)

That's a first for me.

I would like to see more of the musicals from the 1930's and 1940's, especially the movies of Busby Berkeley. He really had a talent for the designs he made in films. Next would be the movies of Jeannette McDonald and Nelson Eddy. The very first of their movies that I watched was Naughty Marietta. I loved it so much and I purchased it online. That was the first time that I had seen them, but it wont be the last time.

I'll tell you what I'd like to see on TCM. A series consisting of some of the great Poverty Row "B" films from Monogram Studios. Films like "Decoy" (1946), "Violence" (1947), "The Strange Mr. Gregory" (1945) and many, many more (including any number of Bowery Boys picutres--NOT the inferior "East Side Kids" titles which TCM routinely trots out.) C'mon, let's get on the stick. Turner actually owns the Monogram titles, so why won't they satisfy the desires of fans of these great films? Great as the tried and classics may be, how many times must we see "Meet Me In St. Louis" or "Casablanca." Freshen the pot, you guys, and start playing more of the obscure little pictures.

Welcome, Dewey1960.

I just took some time to read about "Decoy" and the two other films you mentioned. They sound very interesting, especially "Decoy" - any star who can elicit a comparison to Richard Widmark in "Kiss of Death" is fine with me. Agreed - more 'Poverty Row'-type films, as long as the prints are in good condition, of course, and more diamonds in the rough [as much as the TCM budget can allow].

Thanks, wordmaster. I would also like to add: TCM is, without a doubt the premier cable move network. Consistently excellent programming with wonderful sidebar features and guests make it an absolute haven for those who tastes lean toward the classical. That said, I would like to reiterate the fact that TCM, because of its lofty place in the hearts and minds of classic film purists, has nothing short of an obligation to screen the lesser known gems lurking in Hollywood's film vaults. My own personal predeliction for so-called Poverty Row "B" noir films is but one example of an area sadly lacking in TCM's current programming arena. I urge Turner to not become complacent with respect to the "untried and untested" but rather happily embrace the oppotunity to expand its already inspired horizons.

i personal would like to see a couple of movies

> the harvey girls

> charlie chan

> more of the west side boys

there all what i grew up watching and i loved everyone of them still and i think you guys would like them if you haven't already seen them. oh and a nother one to see is MOM AND PA KETTLE great movies funny too. so check them out some time you guys might enjoy them like i do

> i personal would like to see a couple of movies

> > the harvey girls

> charlie chan

> > more of the west side boys

> there all what i grew up watching and i loved

> everyone of them still and i think you guys would

> like them if you haven't already seen them. oh and a

> nother one to see is MOM AND PA KETTLE great

> movies funny too. so check them out some time you

> guys might enjoy them like i do

There's a whole thread about Ma and Pa Kettle somewhere you might want to check out, I can't think right now where you'd find it. I'm sure someone on here knows where to direct you.

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see more of those hard to find film noirs such as: 5 AGAINEST THE HOUSE, ABANDONED (1949), APPOINTMENT WITH DANGER, BABYFACE NELSON, THE BIG CARNIVAL, BLACK TUESDAY, CAGED, CHICAGO DEADLINE, DARK CITY(1950), DESERT FURY, IVY, I WOULDN'T BE IN YOUR SHOES, MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS, PUSHOVER, TAKE ONE FALSE STEP, UNDERTOW(1949), WITNESS TO MURDER, and THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW.

None of those movies mentioned are available on DVD and haven't been on TCM in years or at all.

In general, there are a lot of leading men and ladies that we seem to see in the same two, five, or eight films over and over again on TCM, but whose other, say, sixty or seventy films we never see--at least not until the actor is featured as star of the month. Katherine Hepburn is definitely one of them. So is Bette Davis.

I can understand why TCM would want to stick mostly to what it considers each star's "best" films, but it can be frustrating for die-hards like me who want to see ALL of Katherine Hepburn's films, not just *The Philadelphia Story* and other standards that I've already seen fifteen times.

> Also, maybe some old Academy Award footage? For

> example, I'd like to see (or sleep through) Greer

> Garson's famously long and boring acceptance speech.

>

>

> Apologies if this is a stupid idea.

I think that's a great idea! That would be fun to see between movies ocassionally. It'd be great fun to see Sally Field's infamous "you like me, you really like me"

Brad

"Also, maybe some old Academy Award footage? For example, I'd like to see (or sleep through) Greer Garson's famously long and boring acceptance speech."

I think that's a great idea too. I'd love to see the Greer Garson speech that we've all so much about, but I wonder if the footage exists. The Academy Awards weren't televised until March 19, 1953. I imagine anything before that would depend on newsreel footage. We've probably all seen footage from the 1939 awards, and Bette Davis in her dowdy print dress (for Jezebel?), but I wonder how much footage exists for the other awards presentations...

I've always wanted to see these shows, too, and it is my understanding that most of these were filmed (even the pre-TV broadcast ones) and exist somewhere. There must be some complex "rights" issue that keeps them buried.

Ahh, the stuff we will never see because someone wants to get some money out of it before we can...

> In general, there are a lot of leading men and ladies

> that we seem to see in the same two, five, or eight

> films over and over again on TCM, but whose other,

> say, sixty or seventy films we never see--at least

> not until the actor is featured as star of the month.

> Katherine Hepburn is definitely one of them. So is

> Bette Davis.

>

> I can understand why TCM would want to stick mostly

> to what it considers each star's "best" films, but it

> can be frustrating for die-hards like me who want to

> see ALL of Katherine Hepburn's films, not just *The

> Philadelphia Story* and other standards that I've

> already seen fifteen times.

So true - there are so very many potboiler/assemblyline type films that even the biggest stars made, and not all of them are terrible

Along those same lines, I'd like to suggest that we be shown golden age films from other genres that we see very little of on TCM. For example, horror and science fiction. They did make such films in the 30s and 40s, before they became so wildly popular in the 1950s. I used to see them on TV when I was a girl - generally they were saved for late night, or as fillers when something went wrong with a live broadcast or when a ball game was rained out. Those movies are very entertaining, even if they aren't Art with a capital "A." Who remembers John Zacherle on local TV (before he becam an FM rock DJ)? He showed some of those old, lurid films on his weird program - most seemed to feature Boris Karloff or Peter Lorre, and there were plenty of them. Just the thing for a cold, stormy night.