Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What would you like to see on TCM?

marcncleo

More three-strip Technicolor films. TCM does not air much of these great films, only about 20 to 25 a month. I'd like to see about 50 three-strip films a month, including some we haven't seen in a long time (like Warner's first Technicolor film God's Country and the Woman, Bette Davis' sole Technicolor performance in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, etc.), and since three-strip Technicolor is VASTLY superior to Eastmancolor films which air much more than three-strip (there are about 70 scheduled this month), why not show more of them since they are the REAL color classics?

cjrogan - I thought you would like to know that they aired an old Technicolor short yesterday in a "One Reel Wonder" segment. It was on after "You Were Never Lovlier." It was called "Hollywood Wonderland" and was from the early 40's. It was a musical tour of a Hollywood studio (presumably Warners). So it seems TCM is listening to your requests for these Technicolor shorts, unless it was just a coincidence. Keep a lookout for more.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some great news to say: just before My Dream Is Yours Came On, I managed to catch Hollywood Wonderland this time. I was recording Romance on the High Seas and was going to record My Dream is Yours, and it came on. It's 15 minutes long, so why not use it as regular fillers. Did anyone else catch this? The colors are BEAUTIFUL, and it may surprise many people that most of the numbers that they use are from the mid 1930s. I would like TCM to stop using that "Face the Fear", "It's Not Real" commercial for Halloween with those annoying flashy graphics and the young people.

The whole Jack Carson series yesterday was great. However in my opinion, I wouldn't want to air so many of these with the exact same cast back-to-back. It was confusing and detracting to the continuity. I mean, I know they're musicals, but still..

I would like TCM to show some silent movies during prime time. On Halloween Eve I watched the Lon Chaney festival and enjoyed it very much. I live on the east coast and Sunday nights at midnight don't make it for me. I also enjoy William Powell movies. He is so droll. I know he is laughing at us laughing at him. Many people say they enjoy the short subjects. I do too. Even if I'm not watching the feature film I turn to TCM just to see if there is an interesting short subject. I am rarely disappointed.

to me this is more than just sad, it's a heartache. Who is in possesion of all those mst3k lost seasons and why are they so selfish? Do the creators malevolently hoard them for their own enjoyment? Do they show them for friends and family on Christmas Eve? Are they availiable in some obscure midnight movie video catalog? Biggest question: WHY DID I NOT TAPE THEM WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE?

• 8 months later...

On the AMC subjecdt, I woould also like to remark:

In my area, AMC was the only channel where I could truely enjoy movies, without comm. or interruptions, then: seems when Bob Dorian left, all went to pot.- I no longer watch AMC, period, but thank goodness for TCM-please Mr. Turner, don't let that happen to TCM.

I am 74 and enjoy all the oldies, plus many more current, but want more Fred Astaire, 30-40-50-60-70-80- yes he even still made movies into the 80's-of course not dancing, but oh such great movies- SHOW MORE PLEASE

I'd love to see more thiller/horor films or anything with stars from the 40's and beyond. In fact any decent movie but please not more silents. Their appeal escapes me, If it's to show how it was done back then I've a better example: Show the TV live presenations from 50's. Ah, now there's a new thought!

I wish TCM could get a hold of some of the "B" films from Universal-International from the late 1940s and the 1950s. I recall seeing "City Across the River" about the Amboy Dukes which had a very young Tony Curtis and also Thelma Ritter in it on a double bill with "Girls in the Night" both potboilers about delinquents.

Another movie which TCM does show on occassion is "Wicked Woman" with Beverly Michaels is a real hoot.

Mongo

I would like to see a fest of some of the more obscure two-reel comedies from the 20's and 30's. There is a veritable wealth of great two-reelers that have survived the age, but rarely get broadcast anywhere. We've seen many of the wonderful Chaplin and Lloyd shorts, but what about two-reelers featuring lesser-known stars like Charley Chase, Loiuse Fazenda, Harry Langdon, Max Linder, Monte Banks, Edgar Kennedy, etc? The two-reelers I have seen from these stars are hilarious and are sadly underappreciated.

Also, a fest of two-reelers from more established names like W.C. Fields and Laurel and Hardy, or even some of the early animated shorts (Felix The Cat, Betty Boop, etc.) would be a welcome addition to the TCM canon.

Finally, being a fan of Foreign cinema, I also wouldn't mind seeing a night dedicated to films of the French New Wave. Having said that, TCM gets respect for giving us a lovely balance of films from all over the cinematic spectrum........

keith, you're so on the mark on about those ignored comedians of old. There were other geniuses besides Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd. I'm with you all the way on this. I'd like to add--once more--that I wish Republic movies from the late 30s and 40s were shown. You never see them anywhere. today's moviegoers have never heard of those fabulous republic serials, those Judy Canova musical comedies, the Hit Parade series, etc. You wonder what the obstacle is? You can't even find most of their greatest serials--like Spy Smasher, G-Men Vs. the Black Dragon, King of the Texas Rangers--on DVD. Wouldn't it be great if TCM could have a whole month of weekend Republic entertainment--showing a few episodes from a serial, then a Republic musical, then a western with Johnny Mack Brown/Bob Steele, etc.?

Greta Garbo and Clark Gable only made one movie together Susan Lennox: Rise and Fall. This movie is very rarely shown on TCM. I'd love to see this one once again! And of course, I would love to see shorts from the other studios.

I would like to see some of the classic Russian films, particularly those of Sergei Eisenstein and Alexandr Ptushko.

I would especially like to see Ptushko's film classic, "The Stone Flower" (Kamennyi Tsvetok), the first Russian full-length color film.

• 10 months later...

TRUE HEART SUSIE - silent with LILLIAN GISH

VAGABOND KING - early sound JEANETTE MacDONALD -

the restored TECHNICOLOR version p-l-e--a-s-e

any GRACE MOORE films

MORE films starring DEANNA DURBIN. Thank you!

Hello Five Off Our 1. I Read Your Post And Agree With You 100%. I To Used Too Watch AMC, From The Start. This Of Course Was Before TCM. I Was So Disapointed In There New Format, I Contacted Them In New York. When I Told Them How Disapointed I was With There Channel, There Reply Was That They Took Many Surveys, And 90% Of There Viewers Loved The New AMC. Go Figure LOL.I Just Thought You Would Like To Hear What AMC Said About There New Format.And As You Stated In Your Post "Please TCM Don't Make The Same Mistake. I Hope You Will Read This Reply, And Tell Me What You Thought Of It. Sincerly XXMASS.

Well Said, Brackenhe!!! You made me giggle with that one. I used to watch AMC a long time ago but they showed the same movies over and over till I gagged. Then I went to TBS and TNT but they were not what I was seeking so finally hit on TCM and have been here ever since. AMC has NOTHING to compare to TCM. And I would like to see just about anything on TCM except for movies that have Fred McMurray in them. Can't stand that guy for some reason. See you on the boards!.........Sue

Archived