Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DON'T BET ON WOMEN and 80 years of MoMA

PrinceSaliano

One could surmise from the intro that MoMA may have many Fox gems that could be made available to TCM...perhaps WILD COMPANY, THE SPIDER, WICKED, WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS, DEVIL'S LOTTERY, MYSTERY RANCH, A PASSPORT TO HELL, THE SILENT WITNESS, THE TRIAL OF VIVIENNE WARE, THE WOMAN IN ROOM 13, HOT PEPPER, INFERNAL MACHINE, IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE, THE WARRIOR'S HUSBAND, I AM SUZANNE!, MURDER IN TRINIDAD, THE GREAT HOTEL MURDER and, most especially, TRICK FOR TRICK which definitely exists at MoMA and was briefly scheduled for the William Cameron Menzies tribute.

• Like 2

I've heard that MOMA has a beautiful pristine print of "Merely Mary Ann" with Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell.

It would be wonderful if TCM could get MOMA, The George Eastman House, UCLA Film Archives

and Library Of Congress to come visit and bring some of their rarities to TCM. The few times they have

been on TCM we had the pleasure of viewing such gems as "The Valiant", "The Trespasser"  and

"Delicious". This would be the only way we'll ever get to view the film rarities from the Fox and Universal vaults. Even the TCM film festivals don't show these rare films.

• Like 1

I am glad they aired it. But honestly I thought it was not a very good film. I am sure there are better "gems" to be shared. 

"Honestly"?

The OP states "Fox gems that could be made available to TCM" but aren't.

What title are you glad they aired but didn't think was very good?

I am glad they aired it. But honestly I thought it was not a very good film. I am sure there are better "gems" to be shared. 

"Honestly"?

You quoted me in the first part of your response...and yes, that's honestly how I feel. Not every film that has been rescued from the vault or given some sort of restoration is going to be a major crowd-pleaser. Obviously, the people who undertook the efforts to rescue the film and give it a new chance with today's audiences believed in its value, but unfortunately that does not mean everyone else will be just as crazy about it.

It goes back to the discussion that not everything made in 1930-whenever is actually a classic. Age does not guarantee classic status.

And the same is true of film preservation. While preservation itself is a noble act, not everything being preserved necessarily is something that should be preserved. The reality is there are some who may not find it that good, interesting or worth maintaining. Not everything that has been polished and put on a display table at a second-hand store will sell. Some of it, no matter how cleaned up, is still junk nobody wants.

I am not saying DON'T BE ON WOMEN is a piece of junk. This is just a slight analogy. But do I think the film was/is very good? No, not really. I've enjoyed much better things with the same stars from the same period of Hollywood. 

I thought that Don't Bet On Women was quite enjoyable as a minor comedy of the period. Edmund Lowe's comedy technique may be a bit of a pain, but, on the other hand, the film benefited by the delightful work of the other principal players (Jeanette MacDonald, Roland Young, Una Merkel).

I'm glad that MoMA put in the effort to restore this film. Fans of Jeanette MacDonald (there are still a few of those around, I'm sure) will be interested in seeing their favourite do well in the only film of her career in which she didn't sing, yet another reminder of how good the lady was in these kind of sophisticated suggestive early '30s comedy affairs. No wonder the lady was a favourite of Lubitsch (as well as star of Mamoulian's marvelous Love Me Tonight).

• Like 1