Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's This Actress?

Guest Suglia, Damon

Guest Suglia, Damon

I watched the movie "Double Indemnity" last night starring Edward G. Robin sonn andred Mcmurray. Who played the female lead and red'slove interest in this movie?

Guest mongo

Damon I suggest you get in the groove and discover actress Barbara Stanwyck. She is one of America's most admired movie stars. You can watch a good deal of her films this month on TCM since she is the star of the month for April. Starting tonight and every Monday thereafter many of her classic films will be shown. You won't be sorry.

Guest No-Good-Nick

Definitely look into this actress. I'd barely heard of her before this month, and now I think she's one hot number. Here's something a little interesting about the film Double Indemnity: Has anyone noticed how prominent of a "car motif" there is in that flick? For instance, the location of the murder, Walter's alibi, the "signal", that moment of suspense, as well as a huge number of automobile-based metaphors throughout the speech! Perhaps a subliminal push for the automotive industry? I dunno. If anyone knows about this, I'd love to hear what ya think. Just a little observation, on a great noir film. (Not to mention, another gem of the late Billy Wilder)

• 7 months later...
Guest Pointe, Tara of Grosse

Damien that actress was Barbara Stanwyck, its a great film noir movie and she was nominated for an oscar for it but did not win. Probably her best performance.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that one of my best performances was in 'Sorry, Wrong Number' (1948) where I played a hysterical bedridden neurotic and Burt Lancaster (in one of his earliest film roles) played my murderous husband. A suspenseful example of film noir, that is often underrated by critics.

One of my favourite movies is The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers. I just finished watching the dvd of Lady Of Burlesque. I think the cast just wasn't strong enough and she couldn't save it, but I want to watch it again to give it another chance. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from seeing any movie featuring the great Stanwyck.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently emailed TCM to consider showing the Stanwyck film,"Remember The Night"....this is your quintessential "holiday" film that is ignored year after year. Fred MacMurray, Beulah Bondi, and Elizabeth Pattersen round out the cast. A homey holiday film.

Babs, hate to disagree with you on "Sorry, Wrong Number" but I thought you were fab-u-lous as Clifton Webb's gutsy, earthy wife in l950's "Titanic." Especially at the end where she can't find her son, Norman, in her lifeboat and she screams: "Norman!" I always break down when I watch this scene. I also remember seeing that movie in a real big theater and afterwards I asked my Mama how could I make my 5-year-old mouth look as glossy and wet as Babs. My Mama's anwswer wasn't very poetic. She said: "Smear on the vaseline!" But you know, the old gal was right. "Titanic" is your masterpiece!

My first choice would have to be "Double Indemnity" since she was the ultimate cold blooded **** on wheels. It was a stunning performance!

Of course she was no slouch in "Titanic", "Stella Dallas", "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers", "The Lady Eve", "My Reputation", "Sorry, Wrong Number", "Lady of Burlesque" and so many others. Of course her TV triumph was "The Thorn Birds" in which she was brilliant. That Stanwyck is something else!