Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun with serious subjects....

Sepiatone

Quite often, regardless of how serius the subject matter of a movie is, either me or my wife will find something amusing to make comment on, not that we don't find the film good, just the way some things strike us is all.

Like last night, while watching LOST BOUNDARIES, there was a scene, in which most of you will recall, when  the daughter, Shelly, gets angry when she discovers her brother Howard is bringing a black friend of his in college home with him over some break. (for those here who've not yet seen the film, it's about a bi-racial couple moving to an all white New England enclave and passing for white.)

Upon hearing the news, the angry sister shouts, "Of all the boys at college, my brother's bringing home a COUN!" (spelling altered to slip by the "Goderator", who's function actually, ISN'T to edit, censor or erase our posts.)

My immediate response to her outburst was----

"Well, he wanted to raise his kids to be WHITE, and it sounds as if he certainly HAS!"

Later on in the movie, during the scene in which the son is informed of his being "colored", which is found out AFTER he joined the Navy, my wife shot out with---"Looks like he'll need a bigger flap on those Navy bells."

In all actuality, this was the first time I've EVER heard of and seen the movie.  I thought it was fairly good, but I still have trouble with thinking of MEL FERRER as bi-racial.  My wife at first thought he was FRANCHOT TONE, which I could see well enough.  There IS a resemblance between the two.

Afterwards, while watching NO WAY OUT, an excellent film, my wife again( and who freely admits to having a HUGE crush on Sidney Poitier when she was young) commented on how LINDA DARNELL looked more "bi-racial" than Mell Ferrer could ever HOPE to!

We do this sort of thing a LOT while watching movies.

Sepiatone

Uh, okay let's go with the film "Crash" from the J.G. Ballard novel as directed by David Cronenberg.

I mean, having read the novel about people who meet up at crash sites and also enjoy body mutilation, well it's kind of a laugh riot is it not? 

Wrecking all those cars in search of love may be tragic, but the performances are just like comic book characters in search of a play in a Pirandello-ish type way.

Pirandello was always a bit mirthful in his conceptual art as is this film.

Uh, okay let's go with the film "Crash" from the J.G. Ballard novel as directed by David Cronenberg.

I mean, having read the novel about people who meet up at crash sites and also enjoy body mutilation, well it's kind of a laugh riot is it not? 

Wrecking all those cars in search of love may be tragic, but the performances are just like comic book characters in search of a play in a Pirandello-ish type way.

.......chirp.......chirp.......chirp.......

Afterwards, while watching NO WAY OUT, an excellent film, my wife again( and who freely admits to having a HUGE crush on Sidney Poitier when she was young) commented on how LINDA DARNELL looked more "bi-racial" than Mell Ferrer could ever HOPE to!

We do this sort of thing a LOT while watching movies.

Sepiatone

I totally agree about Linda Darnell, which is why I feel.she would've been far.more.believable.than Jeanne Crain in the previous year's PINKY. Linda was actually up for the role,.and she wanted.it desperately. But according to writer Philip Dunne, she lost.out because studio head.Darryl Zanuck wanted the actress.to be "whiter than white", and that Linda had "the touch of the adventuress", which Zanuck thought would.compromise the whitebread he wanted Pinky to be.

Yeah, I agree CG. Cronenberg's CRASH is one weird movie, alright.

Although, the two things I did like in it were the recreation of the James Dean fatal accident featuring the replica Porsche 550 Spyder...

tumblr_l1wmn8QOtp1qzstnvo1_500.png

...and that sexy scene where James Spader gets to make out with that exotic looking Canadian actress Deborah Kara Unger...

crash-1996-deborah-kara-unger-032.jpg

(...I couldn't keep my eyes off her whenever she was on screen)

I liked her best when Kevin had her as his girlfriend for a while on 'The Wonder Years'.

Well dark, while I never noticed the visual similarity between Deborah and Ava until Lawrence mentioned her portrayal of  the luscious Miss Gardner in those two movies I've never watched, you DO realize YOUR comment here kind'a sort'a suggests that you can occasionally be found wandering the streets of that Canadian city you reside in while sportin' a trench coat and sayin' "Candy, little girl?" to a certain demographic as they walk by, doncha?! 

(...geeez...and here I thought DGF liked 'em young?!!!)

LOL

;)

Well dark, while I never noticed the visual similarity between Deborah and Ava until Lawrence mentioned her portrayal of  the luscious Miss Gardner in those two movies I've never watched, you DO realize YOUR comment here kind'a sort'a suggests that you can occasionally be found wandering the streets of that Canadian city you reside in while sportin' a trench coat and sayin' "Candy, little girl?" to a certain demographic as they walk by, doncha?! 

(...geeez...and here I thought DGF liked 'em young?!!!)

LOL

She definitely looked old enough. The episodes really did play up her sex appeal. A lot.

But, you're right - 16 and up has always been appreciated by me. I was raised in a dirty, dirty family of Catholic types - my uncles always said stuff like "if they're big enough, they're old enough". I come from a long line of pervs, ay.

She definitely looked old enough. The episodes really did play up her sex appeal. A lot.

Hey! Whatever you're into, dark ol' buddy. It's no skin off MY nose, ya know.

(...just remember that thing they say about "16 gettin' ya 20", though!) ;)

LOL

16's okay up here.

Just as long as you're not her teacher or something.

Well, with the ENTIRE population of your country being less than just the state of California's, I suppose having a smaller "pool" to draw from might account for that, huh?! ;)

Well, with the ENTIRE population of your country being less than just the state of California's, I suppose having a smaller "pool" to draw from might account for that, huh?!

Nah, that's not it. 36 million plus is plenty.

We're just a whole lot less prone to hysteria up here. We're not all messed up with puritan memory-grams and bible-belt conditioning.  We embrace science even. What a remarkable country we have! What a fabulous people we are!

I laugh at serious movies a lot, while still loving the movie and taking the movie seriously, if you can believe that.

Well, gettin' back to the original topic here(and away from the relative maturity levels of Canadian women vs American women)...  ;)

Your post here LP reminded me of a movie I always thought was unintentionally funny...Oliver Stone's "cartoon" of a film titled "JFK".

Yep, I remember actually laughing at some of the scenes in it, and especially at some of the WAY over the top performances in it.

(...not to mention that I ALSO usually laugh at ANYBODY who suggests that anyone other than Oswald was responsible for that dark day in Dallas...but that's another subject entirely, of course...and I'm sure Sepia would appreciate it if his thread doesn't sidetrack into that tired old discussion) 

Nah, that's not it. 36 million plus is plenty.

We're just a whole lot less prone to hysteria up here. We're not all messed up with puritan memory-grams and bible-belt conditioning.  We embrace science even. What a remarkable country we have! What a fabulous people we are!

I ain't gonna argue with you about this, dark. And ya know WHY? 'Cause I AGREE with ya on this!

Yep, it's like I always say, "I REALLY like Canadians, 'cause they're a lot like us Americans, but thankfully THEY don't seem to be as freakin' cocksure about themselves and their opinions as we YANKS often seem to be."

(...with of course YOU often bein' the exception that proves my rule here!!!)

LOL

;)

You've misunderstood from the sounds of it.

We're plenty sure - always have been. We just tend to be polite - keep it to ourselves. Wouldn't want to provoke too much envy in you guys - that could be dangerous.

"ENVY", you say, ol' buddy???

Well, do me a favor here(yeah, that's "favor" without that superfluous-u there), and look out your window. Now, you see all that white and cold stuff piled up out your abode there?

Well, at least from THIS quarter here, I can ASSURE you that I'll hold absolutely NO "envious" sensibilities in MY heart as long as YOU poor folks up that way have to live almost HALF the freakin' year in THAT kind'a weather!

(...c'mon now, I'm sure I've told you about all the times Northwest Airlines would send this L.A. boy here to Minneapolis in January, and how every time I'd deplane and then step out of the MSP terminal to get on my shuttle bus to the hotel I thought to myself somethin' like, "HOW in the HELL do you people around here LIVE in this crappy weather half the freakin' year, HUH?!"...AND heck dude, Minneapolis is even SOUTH of the freakin' 49th PARALLEL...nope, ya can't play tennis outdoors and ride motorsicles all year long up that away, now can YA?!... well, I suppose ya COULD, if ya don't mind freezin' your butt off, anyway!!!)

LOL

We're just a whole lot less prone to hysteria up here.

No; it's just a different set of things that drive Canadians to hysterics. Tell them, for example, that Canada needs less government management of the health-care sector and watch what happens. ;)

I like to joke that the #1 national sport of Canadians is hockey; the #2 national sport is America-bashing.

Especially since no Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup in how long?

Well, I myself don't really think of Quebec as being very Canadian - more of a foreign nation in our midst - so I'll discount any Cups of the Montreal Canadiens.

So that would be 26 years, I believe.

The NHL hates it when a Canadian teams wins - it hurts their mission to try to get Americans to care about the sport - so there's a "secret" and nefarious understanding with certain on-ice officials who work playoff games to influence the outcome to the detriment of a Canadian team with a highly problematic call every so often (just often enough).