Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

can anyone help me identifiy a movie?

A long long time ago when I was a little girl, I snuck into the livingroom and watched a movie from behind the couch while my grandmother was babysitting me. My grandmother has sinced passed and for years and years I have tried to figure out what movie it was. The whole movie is still very clear in my head. I will try to discribe it and see if anyone out there in tv land can help me find the name of this movie.

Basically this movie is about a widowed woman whos daughter died sliding down a banister. The movie starts off with her singing her daughter a lullabye, the scene flashes from the daughter to the mother and back to the daughter who ends up being a skelaton. She keeps her daughter who passed in a secret nursery at the back of her closet. Any ways she throw this big christmas party for an orphanage and falls in love with a little girl and her brother. She sort of gets custody of these kids. The little girl does a lot of exploring in this big house and find an attic full of magicians props ( belonging to the ladies late husband) The little girl then discovers the nursery and the little girls remains and freaks out (who can blame her) and gets the idea in her head that this lady is acting out Hanzle and Gretal. The movie ends with the little girl locking the lady in a closet and setting the house on fire.

So does this movie sound familiar to anyone?

Dogtiredwoof

I can't tell you the name of the film. But, I would like to watch it.

I found it delightful that you would hide behind the couch as a child to watch films. I used to hide behind a chair in the formal living room and watch late night films on the TV in the library/family room. Also, in our area, there was an afternoon (black/white) horror film on every day. My sister and I would pile pillows around our small bodies on the couch, cover our heads with old blankets containing holes and watch the films through the holes. Oh how we would scream!

Thanks for the memory!

The name of your movie is called "Who slew Auntie Roo"..It sounds great and I'm going to look for it right now as I trade movies with alot of people....A good friend told me the name when I described the movie to him....Have a nice Day!!

You guys can't know how wonderful learning the name of this movie is. I think I called everyone I know and told them my long lost movie has a name! LOL I don't think many of them cared. Some of them are happy to find out I am not insane and been making up the movie for that last 20-some year! I am going to search Amazon.com or ebay right now to get my paws on it. I think I will make all those people I called come and watch it with me. When I did call my mom and told her the name and who was in it she said " that makes sense because Shelly Winters was one of your grandmothers favorites" Man grandma would have LOVED TCM!

Dogtiredwoof

(I might even let my kids watch from the front of the couch!)

• 5 months later...

"Who Slew Auntie Roo" is a terrific film. It is my favorite of the movies made by Curtis Harrington. "What's the Matter With Helen?" has a great performance by Debbie Reynolds (as you've never seen her before) but I think it is more a neo-noir film than a horror movie.

If I had a movie theater, I would run a double feature of "Who Slew Auntie Roo" and "The Company of Wolves."