Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite movie?

It is very hard for me to narrow it down to just one. Plus my choice would probably change every once and a while. However, I really liked a couple movies that were shown on TCM recently. I really enjoyed 'The Red Shoes" with the colorful ballet scenes, odd characters, and the unreal dreamy aspect of it. I thought it would be like the Hollywood musicals that I usually enjoy but if differed from them in many ways. I also liked 'Two Women' with Sophia Loren. I never saw her in anything before other than the comedy 'Houseboat' with Cary Grant and a couple pieces of other things. Now I can appreciate her acting, not just her beauty and I will have to look out for other things she has done. It was a foreign film and my straining to read the subtitles was worth it as it was also with 'La Stada' with Anthony Quinn. I also enjoyed 'Adventura' with Ninon Sevilla and a couple other foreign films shown during the films of Mexico special shown on TCM awhile back. There are so many good noirs, musicals, westerns, epics, etc. that it is hard to narrow it down to just one but it is fun to look back and attempt to do so. I

Now I'm glad that I can't sleep. For some reason I keep forgetting about Sophia Loren, she is so incredibly beautiful and equally talented.I love "Houseboat", not only because of her but because of my man, Cary Grant.You can't go wrong with that one.

Well, hello George. I just can't get into Two Women cause it is so real and horrible. I know it is all about charater and building strength on tragedy, but I much prefer something ligher. I do like the Red Shoes, but gee, that is so sad, too. Do you like anything light?

In terms of lighter things, I enjoy the classic musicals with Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Cyd Charisse, Rita Hayworth, Howard Keel, Ann Miller, Kathryn Grayson, Dick Powell, Ginger Rogers, etc. 'Singing In The Rain' was on earlier today and the 'Broadway Rhythm-Gotta Dance' dreamlike dance sequence near the end is one of the best. I also enjoy Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd silent movies, especially the music that is played during their films. I also remember seeing some enjoyable Joe E. Brown movies some months ago. I also appreciate movies that are darker in nature in terms of subject matter because they also can move me, take me to a different place, are an escape, etc. Not only dark noirs, brutal westerns, but also horror. I like "Dracula' and 'The Wolf Man'. I really liked 'Mr. Buddwing' with James Garner which was on yesterday. When I heard some of the dialogue, I looked deeper into the meaining of what was said and what it meant, like when they were shooting dice. It made me think and made me question things which many uplifting movies don't make me do.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, Jack. I guess I am going to have to break down and watch Brief Encounter. I do like several English films, but I have usually just steered my choices toward old Hollywood. There are so many films, it is hard to see them all!

You won't be disappointed, GM. It's one of those 'two hanky' movies!

There are quite a few foreign movies I relish, but since my memory cells are not what they used to be....Jules et Jim, Cinema Paradiso, Z, La Cage Aux Folles, to name a few.

Yes, it is hard to see all the films that are wonderful. Someday, when I retire....some..day.

But do catch Brief Encounter.

dolores

Thanks, I will definitely try! It is one of Jack's favorites. He touts it all the time, as so many other people do. I love tear jerkers, too. I have never been big on foreign films. So, it will be a stretch for me to go out of my way. But, for the FORUM! I must make the sacrifice!!

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite movie is All About Eve but are closely followed by other Bette Davis films because she was a damn good actress. She didn't play how people wanted the character played but how she felt it should be played and that is why her performances were great cause she played them how she though they were.

Favorite of all time: Yellow Submarine

Silent: The Passion of Joan of Arc

Thirties: A Night at the Opera/Grand Illusion

Forties: Casablanca/Ivan the Terrible

Fifties: North by Northwest/A Man Escaped

Sixties: (Foreign Language) The Leopard

Seventies: Murder on the Orient Express/The Confession

Eighties: Brazil/Fanny and Alexander

Nineties: Richard III/Time Regained

2000: The Pianist/Russian Ark

Live Musical: Help!

Science Fiction: 2001: A space Odyssey

Romance: Splash

Obscenely successful blockbuster: The Godfather

too many to pick just one.

older:

My Man Godfrey

Ninotchka

Tovarich

Gaslight

Dark Victory

Now, Voyager

Goodbye, Mr Chips

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

Yankee Doodle Dandy

newer:

Lawrence of Arabia

Fiddler on the Roof

I agree - far too many. Here are my top picks:

BEST OF THE GOLDEN OLDIES

Goodbye Mr. Chips (Robert Donat version)

Gone With The Wind

Union Pacific

The Women

Red Dust

Grand Hotel

The Prisoner of Zenda (Ronald Colman version)

Marie Antoinette (Norma Shearer version)

Lost Horizon (Ronald Colman version)

Camille

The Letter

The Little Foxes

Now Voyager

How Green Was My Valley

The Song of Bernadette

Jezebel

The Good Earth

Wife Vs Secretary

Anna Karenina

BEST MUSICALS

That Midnight Kiss

Silk Stockings

High Society

Singin' In The Rain

My Fair Lady

Maytime

The Great Waltz

Nancy Goes To Rio

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Holiday in Mexico

A Date With Judy

Meet Me In St. Louis

The Great Ziegfeld

The Toast of New Orleans

Rose Marie (Eddy/MacDonald version)

The Merry Widow (MacDonald/Chevalier version)

Born to Dance

Irving Berlin's This is The Army

Rosalie

Anchors Aweigh

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

You Were Never Lovelier

The Sound of Music

Funny Girl

BEST OF HITCHCOCK

Notorious

Rebecca

Vertigo

North By Northwest

Rear Window

Dial M For Murder

Spellbound

Lifeboat

The Paradine Case

Foreign Correspondent

Stage Fright

The Birds

Psycho

Marnie (don't hate me for this one)

BEST EPICS

Lawrence of Arabia

Ben-Hur

Doctor Zhivago

Cleopatra (Claudette Colbert version - Liz version okay too)

The Crusades

The Sign of the Cross

The Ten Commandments

The Fall of the Roman Empire

Quo Vadis

Spartacus

BEST OF BOND

Goldfinger

A View to a Kill

Octopussy

Thunderball

For Your Eyes Only

The Spy Who Loved Me

Live & Let Die

OF NO LESS IMPORTANCE

Juarez

Suez

Lillian Russell

Niagara

Sunset Blvd.

How To Marry A Millionaire

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Night of the Iguana

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Towering Inferno

The Godfather 1 and 2

NEWER 'CLASSICS'

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom

Steel Magnolias

E.T.

Amadeus

A Passage to India

Remains of the Day

Sense and Sensibility

Howards End

Gosford Park

Moulin Rouge

i forgot Doctor Zhivago and Amadeus :)

i've never considered Yankee Doodle Dandy to be a musical. all the singing/dancing numbers are parts of shows he's performing *within* the film. the films characters just don't burst into song to convey a feeling or emotion like a normal musical.

-

one day i think Big Fish will be a classic.

Hello everyone. I'm a bit new here. Here go my favorites off hand:

all Chaplin

Mr. Deeds Goes To Town

Night of the Hunter

Pepe Le Moko

all Marx Brothers

The Gunfighter

M

It Happened One Night

Thin Man series

Philadelphia Story

Ball of Fire

Blackboard Jungle

12 Angry Men

Way Out West

The Misfits

Okay, I'll try this one. My favorite movie ever is Rear Window, and that is largely due to it starring the most beautiful actress ever: Grace Kelly. Jimmy Stewart was pretty good too. I love watching it for the beautiful way every scene is lit and framed, and all the little details are just perfect.