Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite movie?

My all-time favorite film is Chaplin's The Kid. This movie has it all: humor, drama, love, sweetness, triumph over adversity. The only film I've ever seen that had me laughing so hard I had to stop the DVD player one moment...and five minutes later had me crying.

My 14 runner-ups (classic film only - not including 'modern' cinema):

2. Casablanca

3. Doctor Zhivago

4. The Gold Rush

5. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921)

6. Captain Blood

7. My Man Godfrey

8. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

9. The African Queen

10.Yankee Doodle Dandy

11.Gone with the Wind

12.Singin' in the Rain

13.Ball of Fire

14.The Valley of Decision

15.The Charge of the Light Brigade

A lot of people may think I'm weird for saying this, but I don't care. Star Wars (1977) is my ABSOLUTE favorite movie EVER. I am a huge fan of all the Star Wars movies, but I think the original one is my favorite. I just love watching how the saga unfolds: Anakin becoming a Jedi, turning to the Dark Side, and then finally being brought back to good by his son...it's just so amazing! It has been my favorite for many a year now, and I truly believe that it will remain my favorite forever and ever.

May the Force be with you all!

I like the Star Movies also!

but favorites are Musicals

The King and I

West Side Story

Fiddler On The Roof

South Pacific

Oklahoma

Comedies Arsenic and Old Lace

Support Your Local; Sheriff

And Gun fighter

Blazing Saddles

Harvey

Some Like It Hot

Bringing Up Baby

Dramas or tear jerker's

Days of wine And Roses

It's A Wonderful Life

Missing

To name a few I'm typing for my mom!

1. INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

2. OUT OF THE PAST (1947)

3. KISS ME DEADLY (1955)

4. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

5. NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)

6. YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT (1968)

7. REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955)

8. THEM! (1954)

9. AMERICAN HOT WAX (1978)

10. DETOUR (1945)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I checked out the description of American Hot Wax, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't know that this film is about Cleveland disc jockey Alan Freed, the man who coined the phrase rock and roll. I'm from Cleveland! Shame on me. Looks like an interesting film with great music.

Sandy K

Happy to. American Hot Wax is, perhaps, the truest, most emotionally satisfying film ever made about Rock & Roll. Greil Marcus, the great rock musci and popular culture critic citied it as the best rock and roll movie ever made. When it first came out, in the spring of 1978, Pauline Kael, writing in the New Yorker, called it one of the best B movies ever (or words to that effect). But besides all that, you have one of the most wonderful performances ever put to film by the late Tim McIntyre as Alan Freed; truly, truly inspired. Plus a supporting cast that includes Fran Drescher, Larraine Newman, Jay Leno (!!), Chuck Berry (as himself), Jerry Lee Lewis (as himself), Screamin' Jay Hawkins (as himself) and on and on. As well as the gorgeous cinematography of none other than WILLIAM FRAKER. (Look him up on imdb for a rundown of his filmography). The director, Floyd Mutrux, has had a very spotty career both before and after HOT WAX. His other great film is DUSTY AND SWEETS MCGEE from 1971. He also made ALOHA BOBBY AND ROSE in '75 (quite good) and the dreadfully dumb HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS in 1980. And while the historical facts in AHW might be a little off, particularly the details surrounding Freed's problems with "payola", the feeling for the moment is completely dead-on. The music in the film, especially if you're a fan of 50s R&R and R&B is totally tops. The bad news is that the film (released by Paramount) has never been released (legitimately) on home video (DVD or VHS) because of the complicated and expensive music rights issues which, apparently were never successfully dealt with. (Although a soundtrack LP was issued). There are bootleg editions of the film available on-line, I'm sure, but I can't attest to picture and sound quality. I still have the VHS tape I made of Cinemax many years ago. I can't begin to count the number of times I've watched this thing! This movie rocks and rocks and rocks!!!!

Boy, you have some excellent, off-beat favorites! How cool is OUT OF THE PAST? One of the darkest, sleaziest thrillers I know. The best work of the wonderful Jacques Tourneur. DETOUR; the ultimate no budget crime drama. Reminds me of the ironic pulp novels of Cornell Woolrich and the like. And bless you for citing THEM! The very best of the "big bug" movies, this is no silly "burning down the house" thing. This is character driven suspense as good as it's ever been done. I want to play at your house!

Red River

It's hard to nail down one favorite but I never get tired of watching Notorious. I love the chemistry between Cary Grant & Ingrid Berman and think its one of Hitchcock's best. I also recently screened "The Searchers" on the big screen for the first time and although its not my favorite i have to say i have a whole new appreciation of its poetic beauty. Of course Casablanca ranks near the top of my list as well, along side Bringing Up Baby, Love in the Afternoon, The Philadelphia Story, Citizen Kane, Camille, Now, Voyager, GWTW, oh too many to name i just love them all...almost all anyway.

My number one favorite movie of all time has always been GONE WITH THE WIND, and my number two has long been CHARADE.

That said, these all are huge favorites as well:

Rebecca

To Catch a Thief

Arthur

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

The Misfits

How Green Was My Valley

His Kind of Woman

I Walked With A Zombie

Cat People (original)

Hondo

Angel and the Bad Man

Rio Grande

Valley of Decision (I saw that another poster listed this one---great taste!)

Jane Eyre (Orson Welles version)

All the Marx Brothers movies

Anastasia

Penelope

Pillow Talk & Lover, Come Back!

That Touch of Mink

Love in the Afternoon

Ninotchka

The Shop Around the Corner

Young Mr. Lincoln

Trouble in Paradise

Jewel Robbery

The Thin Man (all)

My Man Godfrey

Baby Face

One Way Passage

Sorry for the long list

My Favorite movie is Bringing Up Baby.

A few of my other favorites are:

Best Years of Our Lives

Enchanted Cottage

Kitty Foyle

Holiday

Glenn Miller Story

Penny Serenade

Waterloo Bridge

American In Paris

The Apartment

Since You Went Away

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Well, I guess this is something of a top ten, though there maybe more, or less than ten films named...

Seven Samurai

Vertigo

Godzilla '54

The Third Man

Casablanca

The Godfather

Raging Bull

Twelve Angry Men

Rear Window

The Searchers

Citizen Kane

The Big Sleep

Rashomon

Goodfellas

...and the list could go on, and on, and on...

I totally agree with TCMfan3901, I truly ADORE the chemistry between Ingrid & Cary in NOTORIOUS.

Along with NOTORIOUS, I watched the following movies over & over again...

LAURA

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

RANDOM HARVEST

THE ADVENTURE OF ROBIN HOOD

TOP HAT

SWING TIME

GASLIGHT

INDISCREET (1958)

THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940)

PRIDE & PREJUDICE (1940)

THE THIN MAN SERIES

MY MAN GODFREY