Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I love Doris day .What a class act .She was in this movie with James Gagney ,she was portraying a singer Ruth Etting . I grew up with her movies she is one of my favorites .

Gotta say I love Doris Day too. It's interesting to watch her early Warner Bros. films and see the evolution of her "image." In Romance on the High Seas she plays a character with a heart of gold, yet unrefined somewhat in terms of social graces, who knew her way around the block, so to speak. Even in her next films she portrayed women trying to make it whether it be as a singer, actress, or broadway star. Such a different image from the eventual Pillow Talk years where she presented a more seasoned, "higher-class," pure in virtue sort of image.

I don't like Doris Day! She just milked the huge censorship laws imposed in the fifties by smiling and being all innocent and delicate! And as for her being as American as the flag, I bet you the whole world was screaming in silence to bring back the strong women! But I'm not American so I'm just guessing!!!!

BlackandWhiteCharm,

If you've not seen "Love Me or Leave Me", "The Man Who Knew Too Much" or any of Doris Day's other strong female roles than you should.

She was much more than the fluffy, innocent woman milking the censorship laws than you might realize.

She may be famous for those lighthearted romps with Rock Hudson but she brought a great deal more to the table of cinema than just those roles.

You can use the TCM database to find out more Day and her other roles or imdb.com will have a completer listing as well.

And welcome to the boards!

Izcutter & TOOMANYNOTES

I have not seen all of Doris Days movies! Maybe she did play strong women sometimes. But the general portrayal of Doris is the innocent, delicate home maker. I don't think she is very unique but this is one persons opinion! And my only resource is to bet and guess because I am only thirteen and I certainly was not around in the fifties! No offence meant by my previous post!

BlackandWhiteCharm,

No offense taken. I hope you will have the opportunity to check out some of Day's other films. I think she has a day this August during Summer Under the Stars though I am not sure which films they are showing.

Anyways, she made some very good dramatic films that tend to get overshadowed by her films with Rock Hudson.

Either way, welcome aboard and I look forward to more of your posts!

I love Doris Day in Calamity Jane. It's another of her films where she didn't play an innocent virgin, but a tomboy cowgirl who held her own with the men. It's a fun movie with great songs (and this is from a girl who's not too big on musicals!)

I used to not like Doris Day either. I think it was after seeing "The Man Who Knew Too Much" that I changed my mind. I always thought that she played the innocent virgin type, but I was wrong. Now I love her. She's one of my favorite actresses. And although she's most remembered for the "sex comedies" she made with Rock Hudson, I prefer the two movies she made with James Garner ('The Thrill of It All' and the remake of 'My Favorite Wife', 'Move Over, Darling')

The movies TCM is showing for Summer Under the Stars are:

Love Me or Leave Me

Billy Rose's Jumbo

It's a Great Feeling

Romance on the High Seas

The Glass Bottom Boat

That Touch of Mink

Lover Come Back

The Thrill of it All

My Dream is Yours

The Tunnel of Love

It Happened to Jane

Julie

I have always liked Doris Day not so much for dramatic or comedic abilities, rather just for star quality and her singing. Not to take anything away from Mitzi Gaynor, but I wonder what "South Pacific" would have been like with Doris as Nellie Forbush. She was the first choice.

Doris Day is among my all-time favorites!. She is still underrated, basically because she could do it all and make it look so easy. Plus she was a knockout. That didn't hurt, either. My wonderful partner, John and I had occasion to stay at her hotel in Carmel, California several years ago. An absolutely beautiful place and totally pet friendly, as you might expect. Around the bar were posters of her films and the hotel itself had a warm inviting feeling just as you'd expect from an establishment owned by Ms. Day.

I wrote her a card with a picture of a boy and his dog on the front. I asked the manager to forward it to her. He said she was usually around and that she was definitely hands on concerning the hotel. Unfortunately, she wasn't around while we were there. Less than a week later back in NYC, I got a beautiful note from Ms. Day stating she was sorry she'd missed us and thanking us for stayng at her hotel!! The last sentence read "... loved your card, by the way!" I framed that card with a still from " Jumbo" and I proudly show it off to everyone. Ms. Day was and IS one of our greatest stars. If you haven't seen some of her lesser known films, search them out! She was a NATURALLY brilliant actress-no "acting" there! She DEFINITELY should have been nominated for "Love Me Or Leave Me" and "The Man Who Knew Too Much." Class all the way!

Hi Mark!

Doris Day WAS Nellie Forbush. Josh Logan was upset, according to what he wrote in his bio, when Doris wouldn't sing at a party as a sort of "audition." Audition!? She was a MAJOR star and it was obvious from the get-go that she was PERFECT for Nellie. An absolute cryin' shame. She would have elevated " South Pacific " to a wonderful film instead of the so-so treavelogue that it is... It would also have helped if Logan hadn't directed the film. but that's another story...