Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are you all older than me?

Hi, I'm thirteen and I live in Ireland. I have been obsessed with classis cinema since I was a about three. I used to dance around to Meet Me In St. Louis and My Fair Lady! Now I love them even more because I can understand the quality of these films compared to some of the stuff made today. My friends make fun of me no end and I've done my best to introduce them to my films. But pretty much no result, they still love their romantic comedies and drag me along with them to see them. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you don't care all that much but is ther anyone on this site who is around the same age as me? Actually, what ages are you all?

I would say that most of the people on these boards are older than you by a considerable number of years. I'm older than you by a factor of 3.85.

People who can still see without glasses, have all their own teeth, and still have hair that isn't the color of wet cement are always welcome. This isn't a retirement home you know.

Regards

There are some 14 and 15 year olds on this board, but I can't remember who they are. I can't tell a person's age by what they write.

I'm in my 60s. I started liking classic movies when I was about 10. Some theaters in the early 1950s would occasionally show old classic movies. For example, I saw the first King Kong movie in 1952, also the first Tarzan movies. I first saw Gone With The Wind in 1953. I saw silent films on TV back in the '50s.

Older by a factor of 4.3 here.

I began my love of black and white movies on a 13 inch dinosaur in the 1950s, along with being reared on Kukla Fran and Ollie and all the other golden oldies. By the way, the men behind Tom Corbett and Clarabell died this week.

I remember seeing Rodan in the movie house, and King Kong on the teevee set, crying when he died. I remember the Syncopated Alarm Clock of the Late Late Show and Tara's Theme of the Million Dollar Movie.

All wonderful, warm and fuzzy memories, brought into the front of the brain again when I happen upon some dandy movies like the Torchy Blane series I am watching now.

When TCM is good, it is very, very good.

Welcome, B&WCharm...good name, by the way.

Welcome to the boards. It's not too often we get someone your age on the board so we are glad to have you.

I'm 48. I have a daughter a little older than you and while she's not on the board she does love old movies. You have company.

There's a lot of info floating around here so look around and jump in.

Hi and welcome! I'm 23, but I was into classic movies while I was still in middle/high school and I know how it is with friends poking fun. I think you'll find it's quite refreshing to be able to talk about these films with like-minded folks! :D

I am far above you in age, but I love the classic movies very much! I am so glad to see someone YOUR age on the boards! I have a 13-year-old member on MY message boards, as well. (Maybe she's 15, I can't recall!) When my nieces and nephew were all young, I got two out of the three of them interested in classic films, as well. They're not quite into the silent movies, but they did enjoy older films!

I hope you continue to enjoy these wonderful films! Stand your ground and enjoy what you believe in! So many people I work with poke fun at me too, wondering how I can enjoy films without sound, but it doesn't bother me! Perhaps I'm unique! HEHE!!!!

Thanx for posting and welcome!!!!

Larry

http://lwsroute66.proboards57.com/

Hi .It"s great that your here .I am 48 and have been into classic movies since Iwas about 6.I have a 10 year old daughter and she is just getting into it . It's very educational and you learn alot .I am very green still about alot of stuff but I love reading everybody's replys and above all learning new things . Have Fun and watch lots if you can .Inglis

> Hi, I'm thirteen and I live in Ireland. I have been

> obsessed with classics cinema since I was a about

> three. I used to dance around to Meet Me In St. Louis

> and My Fair Lady! Now I love them even more because I

> can understand the quality of these films compared to

> some of the stuff made today. My friends make fun of

> me no end and I've done my best to introduce them to

> my films. But pretty much no result, they still love

> their romantic comedies and drag me along with them

> to see them. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you

> don't care all that much but is ther anyone on this

> site who is around the same age as me? Actually, what

> ages are you all?

Yes!!!!!!!! A person almost the same age as me!!!!!! Hey I am 14 & love classic films. I used to see them when I was young , but they were Disney films, the old Godzilla films, The Wizard Of OZ, etc.. I am also telling my friends about TCM & so far the response has been very positive. It is just great there are young people out there like you & me that love classic films!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by:

Franciscokanemovie1

Hi, BWC.

I'm finally at the speed limit (55) and I've loved classic movies from my junior high school days. Of course, some of them weren't that old then. :)

Just curious, but since you're from Ireland, what is your opinion of "The Quiet Man" and it's representation of Irish village life. On another thread, we discussed the probable time frame represented in the film, but had no clue due to the timeless nature of the village of Innisfree.

Welcome to the forum.

CharlieT

Born Novenber 24th, 1957.

I grew up watching classic movies, although they were just normal movies back then because everthing was filmed in black & white.

My parents bought me the very first color television in our household and I was probably the first person to own one in our entire neighborhood. I just can't remember the year however.

Bill

Yeah, well, I didn?t want to scare the kid with my real age. Anyway, it was the awards for the theater, the plays that I used to attend, before and after the War. You should have seen ?Our American Cousin?! That was a great play!

My interest in classic films began in the early 1980s. There was a night time detective series on NBC here in the States called Remington Steele. Most of the cases were solved by the other detective Laura Holt. When Mr Steele DID solve a case, however, he often did so by referring to old classic crime detective movies. This sparked my interest in seeing them.

I'm not certain where my interest in Silents came in though. I think I started watching them more for the historical aspect than the actual storyline aspects; that came later. But now, silents are, by far, my favorites!!!!

Larry

One thing about old movies, that I began thinking of when I was a kid, is their ?antique? nature. As a kid, I like modern stuff, but I also liked antiques. I used to have an old coin collection and a stamp collection. Later in life I bought antique furniture.

When I started watching old movies, I was 8 or 9 or 10, and they?d sometimes be shown in local theaters and later on TV in the ?50s, I thought about how some of them, such as ?The Great Train Robbery? were ?antiques? at least ?50 years old!? Lol. Now that film is 103 years old.

well I'm turning 13 in month , and have been watching old movies for a little over a year now. I know exactly how you feel about friends making fun of you! my friends make fun of me all the time. One of my friends is also into old movies but she doesn't know very much and I end up teaching her a lot lol. Personally, I like the musicals and have had no trouble getting my friends to like them, not as much as me but that would be way to hard!! In fact a lot of my friends have found a new favorite movie at my house which makes me really happy. For some reason they tend to like Gene Kelly, whom is my favorite and who i know almost everything about, and they normally get a lesson on the film afterwards lol. The first movie i saw that got me into the classics was The Bandwagon, which i caught last easter on TCM. Its good to know that there are more young classic movie lovers.

Yes, bellanosey, it's GREAT to know there are young classic movie lovers! It makes a statement that these films, these stars, and this era will never die; they will always be remembered for generations!

My wife and I attend the Kansas Silent Film Festival every year in Topeka, Kansas USA. Two years ago, there were two little boys sitting a couple rows behind us watching these silent films. An old silent comedy with Laurel & Hardy was playing. There was also a Chaplin short that played. It gave me a special heart-warming feeling seeing these two young kids laughing hysterically at these comedians, who have long since been dead; yet their antics were still generating laughter for a new generation! And this is a generation exposed to computers, XBox, Gameboys, etc; however, they were not sitting in front of a Gameboy. They were being entertained by comedians without sound ... in Black & White ... gone for probably 70+ years ... and enjoying all of it!

I'm glad to see young people so enthusiastic about these older films! Long live the stars and films of yesteryear!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Archived