Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just read over this year's Summer Under the Stars line-up and I'm hugely impressed, particularly with the inclusion of Carole Lombard and Richard Dix, which the tcmprogrammer alluded to a few months ago. Lady by Choice arose in a discussion yesterday and, lo, there it is (except the synopsis has Karl Malden as the film's star!). It might change; I found it earlier but I can't access it now. I've been having problems with the site all day and couldn't log on for hours. Either way, what I saw was superb: Ann Sothern, Claire Trevor, Angela Lansbury and even Joseph Cotten!

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=EST&oid=8/1/2006

Notables:

Angela Lansbury - The Manchurian Candidate (1962)!

The Marx Brothers

Susan Hayward

Gregory Peck

Humphrey Bogart

Robert Duvall (replaced Doris Day)

Burt Lancaster

Claire Trevor - Hard, Fast, and Beautiful (1951)!

Jane Powell

John Garfield

Katharine Hepburn

Rock Hudson - Written on the Wind (1956)

Walter Matthau

Lana Turner

Richard Dix!

Joseph Cotten - Love Letters (1945)

Carole Lombard - Hands Across the Table (1935) & We're Not Dressing (1934)

Bela Lugosi

Audrey Hepburn

Lee Marvin - Seven Men From Now (1956)

David Niven

Rita Hayworth - The Loves of Carmen (1948)

Van Johnson

Ann Sothern

James Stewart

Cary Grant

John Wayne - Stagecoach (1939)

Hedy Lamarr

Ingrid Bergman - For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943)

Sidney Poitier - For Love of Ivy (1968)

Barbara Stanwyck

Wow!

Message was edited by:

path40a

Hi All -

I, too, was having trouble getting to the page tonight. But I replaced "turnerclassicmovies.com" with "tcm.com" in the address window pane and got whisked right in! (Left all the other stuff intact that follows the ".com".)

I think the website is transitioning to the new domain name and so certain areas may go "offline" periodically or all together and reappear with the new domain address in its place.

I am glad the Joseph Cotten fans got their wish fulfilled. It is a well-deserved recognition for the actor.

But I could have done without another Doris Day-day.

Kyle In Hollywood

Gee Path,

I can't believe you didn't mention "Love In The Afternoon" on Audrey Hepburn's day. It hasn't been on TCM for a long time - if at all - that I can remember. Maybe it ran during that month Billy Wilder was saluted but not since then, right?

I only mention it as you fantasized about showing it during your SOTM salute to Gary Cooper in the Programming Challenge so I know you are a fan.

(As for me, I don't buy the romance between the two stars for a second!)

Kyle In Hollywood

Thank you, TCM for scheduling a Joseph Cotten day! I was one of the people begging for this. I'm so excited to see that Love Letters is on the schedule. Thank you!

I'm also interested to see 'Pretty Maids in a Row' on Rock Hudson day. That's supposed to be pretty...uh, sleazy? Or so I've heard.

Also looking forward to Van Johnson (he's another underrated one in my book. They're not showing it, but I loved him in The Caine Mutiny), Angela Lansbury (an odd choice since I always think of her as "Murder She Wrote". I'm showing my age, I guess!), Barbara Stanwyck and Rita Hayworth. And I always welcome the chance to see "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin, especially I accidentally erased my letterbox copy from the last time TCM showed it.

There's a lot of good stuff there. Right now I'm just excited about "Love Letters"! Thanks again, TCM!

> Angela Lansbury

> (an odd choice since I always think of her as "Murder

> She Wrote". I'm showing my age, I guess!),

If you haven't seen Manchurian Candidate, sugarpuss, you are going to see an Angela Lansbury who will scare the crap out of you.

> I'm also interested to see 'Pretty Maids in a Row' on

> Rock Hudson day. That's supposed to be pretty...uh,

> sleazy? Or so I've heard.

And Pretty Maids in a Row is a surprising choice. I saw it years ago and you are quite right about it.

Incredible, talk about "movie heaven." What an incredible list, TCM Programmer. It's as good as...as...the TCM Programming Challenges on the other thread, and that is going some! (I especially got a kick out of the Summer Under the Stars list because it was only two days ago when I posted my Challenge list and had in it tributes to Sidney Poitier and Ingrid Bergman. I know it is just a coincidence but it feels great that they are on in August.)

Any month that has days devoted to Bogart, Stanwyck, Lombard, Garfield, etc., etc., is okay with me! And tell me where else can we get exposed to those early films of Richard Dix? I will be curious to see them because whenever I hear the name I always flashback to some joke in Blazing Saddles using his name. (No, not the Randolph Scott joke.)

Among the highlights for me are Racket Busters (Bogart), Brute Force (Lancaster), Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse and Murder My Sweet (both Trevor), The John Garfield Story documentary (I didn't even know there was one!), Cimarron (Dix), Love in the Afternoon (Hepburn directed by Billy Wilder!), the Maisie films (Sothern), Ecstasy (Lamaar's breakthrough!), Stromboli & Europa '51 & For Whom the Bell Tolls & Saratoga Trunk (all Bergman), Defiant Ones (Poitier) and the entire day of Stanwyck!

*If you haven't seen Manchurian Candidate, sugarpuss, you are going to see an Angela Lansbury who will scare the crap out of you.*

I've seen it in the past, in high school--which was quite a long time ago. I remember everyone yelling, "Oh my God, Jessica Fletcher is really nuts!" Ha. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Other movies I'm looking forward to watching are 'The Last Sunset' (Rock Hudson), I Thank a Fool (Susan Hayward), The Great Sinner (Gregory Peck), and the majority of Carole Lombard day since I haven't seen many of her movies. It's just a fantastic schedule and even though it's a couple of months away, I can't wait for August. I better go stock up on dvd's when they're on sale!

Thanks for the link to the August schedule, path. I?m very glad to see all the Carole Lombard titles being included, especially Swing High, Swing Low, which hasn?t been aired in a very long time. Love Letters is a great addition to Joseph Cotten day, featuring one of his most appealing performances opposite a fragile Jennifer Jones and always memorable Gladys Cooper. It's a soaper, but a rather good one. I was also delighted to see that Angela Lansbury is being given the ?Private Screenings? treatment to start off the month with a bang!

• 2 months later...

More info:

Robert Duvall has replaced Doris Day on August 6th.

Twenty of the actors/actresses have never been saluted before (during Summer Under the Stars), and there will be 26 TCM premieres throughout the month.

So this is where you guys also hang-out! I've always generally stuck

to "General Disc."-(no pun intended)

& again, to both Mongo & path, THANX!

I was a bit letdown by this yrs selected group of: "Summer Under the Stars," though I know, they try & cover most, but the likes of Richard Dix???

It was strange to not see *Gable though, again

& it must be a rule of somekind-(remember, he's also among my fav. actors) But, *Bogie, is literally everywhere?

I just posted an article on whom they seem to leave out in the cold, in favor of about half a dozen on "Stars of the Month" & neglected, to include: Steve MQueen-(1930-80)

*Lionel Barrymore & even John, shoulda' been included in both areas, by this date!

Good-going to path & mongo & the rest though

See ya'

> More info:

>

> Robert Duvall has replaced Doris Day on August 6th.

>

> Twenty of the actors/actresses have never been

> saluted before (during Summer Under the Stars), and

> there will be 26 TCM premieres throughout the month.

Good.While her films with Rock Hudson are one of my guilty pleasures, I don't think I could take a whole day of her.

Movielover,

Most of Widmark's films are owned by 20th Century Fox and they have their own movie channel, FMC.

However, there may be some head way being made as TCM recently aired "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

Unfortunately, with Fox having their own movie channel, they may not be as willing as other studios to lease films to TCM on an on-going basis.

"I was a bit letdown by this yrs selected group of: "Summer Under the Stars," though I know, they try & cover most, but the likes of Richard Dix???

"

Well, actually I'm looking for to his day next month because I'm a fan and I know there's at least another one on this site.