Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
johnnyweekes70

Summer Under the Stars

I never saw this thread before and just finished reading all of it. In relation to one message re: Richard Widmark, I agree he is so underrated, it's a terrible shame! I understand the FOX business tho, Wonder bread doesn't sell their bread recipe to Roman Meal. Much as I love TCM, FOX has a pretty good station altho they intermix old and new a lot (by new I mean 80's and up). I had FOX in my old apartment with cable, but when I moved here, I switched to Dish and they don't offer FOX in my package. (I'd have to pay an extra $20.00 p/mo, not worth it.)

I doubt I've ever seen a R. Dix movie, so I guess I'll have to give it a shot, but, I have a hard time watching John Waynes' early, early 30's cowboys. They're just too, too sappy for me. The gunfights are hilarious, and the obligatory kiss of the girl at the end after one meeting early in the pic is too laughable. Thank God he met John Ford, although I do like the re-casting of Bond, (can't remember the names, but the little red haired guy, and others) in all of them, and they carried on into the better movies like 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon' and 'Red River'.

Red Haired guy in Red River, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon--- Harry Carey jr.!!!

> Marnie is one of my all time favorites Hitchcock's.

"Marnie"--- EKKKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!

Now, remember I am NO film connoisseur! I watch film for stars, and Connery is big. I think it is his only Hitchcock film. Plus, everyone is rich, and I love films about the rich. So, call it superficial, but that's what I like. That is why Treasure of the Sierra Madre didn't do much for me, but I watched it because it had Bogie, Huston, and even Tim Holt!

I prefer Diane Baker (Irish) to Tippi Hedron. See Ms Baker in "Mirage",an excellent Hitchcockian ( Dmytryk directed) knock-off, starring Gregory Peck, Walter Abel, and Walter Matthau.

Thank you for rescehduling Doris Day, like others I just love her films. But still I have to wonder the logic in cutting her when there are four actors who had days last year in Summer Under The Stars. Yes, I remember all too well that Katherine Hepburn, John Wayne, Cary Grant and Humphry Bogart all had days the last go around. So why wasn't their day taken away instead, I have nothing against these actors, well in all honesty I've never been a huge fan of Waynes movies, and am not too fond of Bogart period, but anyway, wouldn't it had made more sense to take one of their days away since they had a day last year, just my opinion on this. Also, because of the addition of Duvall we now have four men in a row being featured, not that I'm being a stickler here, but this does look like the actresses got slated here, because of the change in schedule.

I have been a long time fan of Ms. Baker. She was in Anne Frank and The Best of Everything (I think that is the title), plus countless TV appearances.

> I have been a long time fan of Ms. Baker. She was in

> Anne Frank and The Best of Everything (I think that

> is the title), plus countless TV appearances.

She also played Joan Crawford's daughter in "Straightjacket" !!

Well, TCMFan, it could just be a question of viewability. Bogart, Hepburn, Grant and Wayne are all BIG box office! Not that Doris isn't, but put up against any of those heavyweights, she would lose, and did. I'm sure there is money involved somewhere in this process, and when it comes the money, only the BIG STARS survive.

Just a guess.

> "All Through the Night", an excellent comedy-drama

> comes in about three hours !Bogie, Demarest, McHugh,

> Wally Ford,and Jackie C. Gleason battleing Nazi's

> Veidt, Lorre, and Judith Anderson.Phil Silvers,

> Barton MacLane, Edward Brophy and James Burke as a

> bewildered Irish Police Inspector also appear. Kaaren

> Verne (Lorre's real life wife,at the time) is the

> female lead!!

It's one of my favorite films, too! But -- Kaaren Verne and Peter Lorre were not married at the time they worked on "All Through the Night".

They started dating during the shoot, then moved in together. Peter was still married to, but separated from, his first wife, Celia Lovsky, at the time. Peter and Karen didn't marry until 1945.

There will be a new DVD of "All Through the Night" included in the box-set "Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection 2", coming out in October 2006. Vincent Sherman (the film's director) and Eric Lax (Bogart biographer) provide audio commentary. Should be very interesting!

Cheryl

Well, I think the person you want to thank is TCMProgrammer, not me.

But, yes, lol, finding that they ran four men in a row is being a little bit of a stickler.

As far as eliminating one of the five, I will quote from Robert Osborne's lead-in in the Now Playing magazine: "We'll also be including the five stars who've been on our list every year we've held these festivals: Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne. (An all-star salute without that quintet? Impossible.)"

I am very surprised by the response of Day fans. Some seem downright angry. Aren't they supposed to remain perky and sweet?

> > "All Through the Night", an excellent comedy-drama

> > comes in about three hours !Bogie, Demarest,

> McHugh,

> > Wally Ford,and Jackie C. Gleason battleing Nazi's

> > Veidt, Lorre, and Judith Anderson.Phil Silvers,

> > Barton MacLane, Edward Brophy and James Burke as a

> > bewildered Irish Police Inspector also appear.

> Kaaren

> > Verne (Lorre's real life wife,at the time) is the

> > female lead!!

>

> It's one of my favorite films, too! But -- Kaaren

> Verne and Peter Lorre were not married at the time

> they worked on "All Through the Night".

>

> They started dating during the shoot, then moved in

> together. Peter was still married to, but separated

> from, his first wife, Celia Lovsky, at the time.

> Peter and Karen didn't marry until 1945.

>

> There will be a new DVD of "All Through the Night"

> included in the box-set "Humphrey Bogart: The

> Signature Collection 2", coming out in October 2006.

> Vincent Sherman (the film's director) and Eric Lax

> (Bogart biographer) provide audio commentary.

> Should be very interesting!

> Cheryl

Please remember that I am an old, old man that writes posts from my (fast-fading ) memory,meaning that I (generally) don't look thing up. Can't wait for Signature Collection # 2--- THANKS for the Info !!

There's something odd going on. I know they released a Bogart Collection in Europe and I have seen a Bogart Collection of it here (even in the Warner Bros store at their studio in Burbank) which looked like a Signature Collection box and it was way higher in cost that the others.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TG48S/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_3/102-4267618-0799358?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

And now I see that the Vol. 2 Signature Collection is coming out on October 3rd. However, if you go to Amazon, they are listing a Bogart Signature Collection Vol. 1 to come out the same day as Vol. 2 and priced the same as Vol. 2.

Vol. 1: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIXLUW/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_1/102-4267618-0799358?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

Vol. 2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIXLVQ/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_2/102-4267618-0799358?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

Confusing to say the least.

Wow! I guess a lot of folks turned off their 'puters to watch 'Godfather' last night. I watched for the first time since 1972 and '74 when they first came out, never even saw a t.v. run, not because I didn't like it, just hate to see movies cut up for t.v. TCM did a great job with the language, it's funny that codes allow Sonny and the bridesmaid to 'do their thing' against the door, and shoot Sonny up like Swiss cheese, but God forbid kids hear "F--k" on the airwaves. That word is 'heck' to most kids over 12 nowadays. At 15 if I had said 'fricking' I would have had my mouth washed out, dad's belt, and bed with no dinner. (That was 45 years ago folks.) Anyway, thank God Vito died and Michael took over, now you could understand his comments. Brando got an award for that!!??!! In the first place he didn't need the cotton in his mouth, he always talked that way, from 'On the Waterfront' to 'Sayonara' to 'Godfarher', the man couldn't SPEAK Clearly!

Now today we get Mr. one emotion (anger) Lancaster. Put him in a bag with Kirk Douglas and shake it up and you couldn't tell what parts were pulled out. Neither one of them could act any way but angry, even in love scenes they gave orders. Their parts should have been restricted to master sergeants. You folks are stuck with me today, sorry, do you remember Burt in Field of Dreams, he played (and was) an old man (sweet old country doctor), but he still talked like my son's D.I. The Sgt. in '...Eternity' was perfect for him, he didn't have to act, not that he could. C'mon, I'm ready for all challenges!

I actually think Burt Lancaster had a much broader range than just barking orders. For instance in "The Rose Tattoo" he's charmingly goofy while in "Birdman of Alcatraz" he turns from a hardened convict to a gentle prisoner. I think the movies they're showing on TCM today are good examples of his range ("Trapeze" is pretty great, as is "A Child is Waiting", while a good majority of them do showcase his "tough guy" personality) But to each his own, I guess.

The only problem I had with Duvall day is the repeats: "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Capt. Newman MD" were both shown Friday and "Lawman" will be repeated tonight. The one thing I love about Summer Under the Stars is that there are no repeated movies throughout the month! I would have preferred them to reshow "Network" even though that movie is a constant staple on TCM as well. I'm not too upset about Doris Day, even though she is one of my favorites! TCM does plenty of day long tributes to her throughout the year, so it's not like she's being ignored.

But besides all that I am loving this years Summer Under the Stars. I can't wait for Rock Hudson day to see "The Last Sunset", "Written on the Wind" and "Pretty Maids All In A Row" and of course, Joseph Cotten day for "Love Letters". This is a great month for new movies!