Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oh, Canada

LawrenceA

I just read that Canada is the most educated nation in the world, with half of its citizens having a college education.

Canada also consumes the most macaroni and cheese.

Coincidence?

There is too much emphasis on a college degree (whatever that is now) in America.  This is one area where I totally disagree with Obama.  There are too many colleges offering degrees in junk and this includes technical colleges, community colleges and the highest rated state and private universities.

The government needs to focus on supporting education that leads to jobs and productivy.  This does not mean that liberal arts and so forth cannot be a part of an education.

Free community college is absurd.  It will just encourage more people to hang out on "college" campuses instead of getting a real job.  Will encourage community and four year colleges and universities to further expand their offerings of useless majors.  Thereby expanding their enrollments resulting in more administrative positions.

There are huge numbers of college graduates who earn very low salaries because they have degrees in useless subjects.

• Like 1

I just read that Canada is the most educated nation in the world, with half of its citizens having a college education.

Coincidence?

Yes, I have unemployed friends who now teach what I would call bird sources in universities.  One teaches a writing course and he says most of his students are illiterate.  These institutions have never been richer and the new mandate is never to fail anyone.   Wouldn't want to cut off the money supply from mom and dad.

Personally I never liked mac and cheese but I had British parents.  Mince and tatties.

• Like 1

Coincidence?

Hmmm...let's see here, Lawrence.

Presently the Canadian economy seems a bit in shambles, and with an exchange rate today of 1 Canadian Dollar equaling only about 72 cents American, right?!

And so, yeah, maybe there IS a "coincidence" here after all.

'Cause I understand people who find it necessary to cut back on eating expenses, and no matter their level of higher education, WILL often eat a lot of macaroni and cheese because it's a rather cheap means to supply their bodies with the requisite amount of carbohydrates and proteins to stay in reasonable health.

(...sorry my Canadian friends...I didn't mean to rub this in...much) ;)

LOL

I understand people who find it necessary to cut back on eating expenses, and no matter their level of higher education, WILL often eat a lot of macaroni and cheese because it's a rather cheap means to supply their bodies with the requisite amount of carbohydrates and proteins to stay in reasonable health.

(...sorry my Canadian friends...I didn't mean to rub this in...much)

Like the Barenaked Ladies sing, even when we don't have to eat Kraft Dinner, we do.

Like the Barenaked Ladies sing, even when we don't have to eat Kraft Dinner, we do.

So, are you sayin' Canadians haven't developed a more "sophisticated palate" after all this time, dark?

(...or does this sort'a thing just come with that whole "overly polite" thing o' yours up there too???) ;)

So, are you sayin' Canadians haven't developed a more "sophisticated palate" after all this time, dark?

(...or does this sort'a thing just come with that whole "overly polite" thing o' yours up there too???)

It's not overly polite - it's just right polite.

• Like 1

It's not overly polite - it's just right polite.

Well, just for "argument sake" here, I'm "judging" YOUR "polite factor" with that, say, of your average NEW YORKER!!!

(...and so, YEAH, I still say YOU folks up that way ARE "overly polite", dude!!!)

LOL 

;)

Well, just for "argument sake" here, I'm "judging" YOUR "polite factor" with that, say, of your average NEW YORKER!!!

(...and so, YEAH, I still say YOU folks up that way ARE "overly polite", dude!!!)

It certainly isn't that your average new yorker is overly rude, that's for sure.

It certainly isn't that your average new yorker is overly rude, that's for sure.

Well, I suppose this kind'a thing IS always just a matter of "perspective", now isn't it.

(...and lets remember here, not all New Yorkers are as rude as that big freakin' blowhard runnin' for POTUS, ya know!) ;)

Hmmm...let's see here, Lawrence.

Presently the Canadian economy seems a bit in shambles, and with an exchange rate today of 1 Canadian Dollar equaling only about 72 cents American, right?!

And so, yeah, maybe there IS a "coincidence" here after all.

'Cause I understand people who find it necessary to cut back on eating expenses, and no matter their level of higher education, WILL often eat a lot of macaroni and cheese because it's a rather cheap means to supply their bodies with the requisite amount of carbohydrates and proteins to stay in reasonable health.

(...sorry my Canadian friends...I didn't mean to rub this in...much) ;)

LOL

Load up on macaroni and cheese regularly, and your arteries will be harder than the ice pack in the Yukon in January.

Mince and tatties.

I had to look that up. Figured it would be pickled sheep's eyes served with goat bladder or some other English-type "delicacy". Nope, just ground beef and mashed potatoes. I have that occasionally, but I call it ground beef and mashed potatoes, not some cutesy name that sounds like a bad vaudeville comedy act.

:D

• Like 2

Well heck! If this thread is now gonna segue into musical numbers either about Canada or by Canadians, then allow me to post one courtesy of a gentleman often described as being a "national treasure" of that beautiful country north of us.

I'm going to select the following not only because it was always one of my favorite songs by the gentleman, but also because it has an Arizona connection to it. You see and as the story goes, Gordon Lightfoot wrote this song while traveling through the Grand Canyon State and taking note of the name given to Arizona State Route 74, and he supposedly said to himself that it would make a great title for a song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa9XVvMtBVk 

• Like 2

Well heck! If this thread is now gonna segue into musical numbers either about Canada or by Canadians, then allow me to post one courtesy of a gentleman often described as being a "national treasure" of that beautiful country north of us.

Dargo, my intent was to segue into musical numbers about Canada, NOT by Canadians -- that was your segue!