Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
inglis

How did you all get into classic movies what is you story?

People have a tendency to ramble off in another direction in the middle of a thread, don't take it personally! :-) I've been guilty of the same in my short time here. I started watching old war films and comedies, mostly Hope-Crosby road films, late at night with my dad starting when I was about nine or ten. After he died, I left the oldies behind and just watched newer movies. Years later my eldest brother got me hooked on AMC (may that network rest in peace). The last few years I've become bored and disillusioned with newer films, and find myself drawn toward the classics more than ever. An escape from the real world, I guess. Never in my youth would I have believed that someday I'd actually enjoy watching a tearjerker or (gasp) a musical. With age comes wisdom. Thank you TCM.

I got started loving classic movies when I was about 11 years old, our cable company had the Los Angeles channels and they played a lot of classic movies. I just couldn't wait till Friday and Saturday nights so I could stay up later and watch old flicks. My first recollection of a movie that really made an impression was Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, I just loved it and have been a Jimmy Stewart fan ever since. Also Sullivan's Travels, Hold Back the Dawn and Random Harvest hold a special place in my heart.

Universal Classic Monsters & Cagney, Robinson, & Bogart.

Had I never been exposed to these names/collections, I would have never become the classics freak that I am today. These films opened so many doors for me as not only a movie fan, but a student of the classics. Now, I've got a serious addiction to building my classics library as big as I possibly can.

Alfred Hitchcock played a big part in converting me to classic cinema as well.

I was never exposed to classic movies prior to college. I got my first taste of it in my first film history class. Casablanca. Enough said right. I just fell in love with Bogie. So I started watching some of his films, which led to falling for other great stars such as Leslie Howard and Paul Henreid. Then I discovered TCM. The star of the month was Clark Gable. Which led to Gone with the Wind, Jean Harlow, William Powell, Myrna Loy...loved them all. Need I say more. I was hooked and gained an appreciation and passion for the Hollywood Golden Age. I'm 24 years old and I get made fun of all the time, but I dont care. These movies have brought myself closer to my grandparents and other family members that now I have something in common with. Lots of stories and history come up and I'm always eager to listen and learn.

I second what patful had to say. . .these threads can become like dinner party conversations, one thought leads to another and then people are off on tangents. Don't take it personally, and most posters stick to the topic. In response to your original question, I'm a few years older than you, inglis, and grew up in NYC during the late 1950's, and 60's, when the local TV stations did not pollute the airwaves with the garbage that passes for programming today, but would show great films from the 1930's and 40's, especially from Warner Brothers, MGM, and Universal. One station, WOR, had a nightly showing of what they called the "Million Dollar Movie." They showed the same film every night all week, and depending upon which movie it was, I would watch it two or three or four times. I remember my mother coming into my room one night and exclaiming, "What, you're watching Boys Town again!" Anyway, during those "formative" years, I fell in love with Cagney, Bogart, Tracy, Grant, and had my first pre-puberty crushes on Ann Sheridan (that one has lasted a whole lifetime!), Lombard, Blondell, Hepburn, and a host of other great screen stars. In later years (pre-VCRs and of course TCM), I paid dozens of visits to the revival theaters both in New York and later Los Angeles, which held month-long festivals of classic films, which enabled me to see such greats as Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, and a host of screwball comedies and film noirs (my two favorite genres) on the full screen, the way movies audiences enjoyed them when they were first released. I've been a classic movie lover since I was a teenager, and thanks to TCM, and the many posters here, I'm thrilled to know that the classic films will never die. Sorry, this got so wordy, but that's another trend you'll find on these threads. Some of us (I'm guilty) don't know how to be brief! Welcome to the boards!

I got started watching old movies when I was kid. Every Thanksgiving time we would watch Wizard of Oz and every Christmas we would watch It's A Wonderful Life. It was tradition. Then as I became older I would watch more and more of the older ones because I became increasingly disapointed in newer ones. One day I rented a bunch of old movies and fell in love with Jimmy Stewart and Alfred Hitchcock. From there I decided I was spending to much money renting all the time to watch the same old movies so I started buying them and that ahs grown into a pretty large collection.

Now I have passed my love for the classics on to my children. They just love some of the old ones like Bringing Up Baby and now My Fair Lady and Breakfast At Tiffany's and Harvey :)

Classics Fan

> I am wondering what it must have been like for you

> guys when you first got on board and wanted to

> connect to people . My forum was posted so I could

> hear how you all got into the classics so Sandy what

> is your story .I am here because I have been a stay

> at home Mom and raising two beautiful children and I

> love movies and wanted to see what this was all

> about. I am 48 years old and have missed just

> chatting to people I don't quite know what to make

> of your discussion here on this post but one would

> think its kind of mean spirited since my post is

> about how you got into movies and itseems that you

> are aware of it but just not answering to it .So if

> there is a reason for your rudeness I would like to

> know

inglis, I posted about Stephanie Zimbalist in a stage version of The Philadelphia Story in response to Larry's post about how watching Zimbalist's tv series Remington Steel got him interested in classic film. So, it was not completely off-topic, just a little side trip.

Please don't think that I was purposely trying to de-rail this wonderful thread that you started. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

I've been on these boards for a long time and I try very hard to never post anything that is mean-spirited or rude. I feel badly that you took my post as such.

I got involved in classic film because my mother grew up in the 1930's and 40's and she liked Shirley Temple. One of the local tv stations would show Shirley Temple movies on Sundays. We also had a book called Life Goes to the Movies that had lots of photos of classic stars and movies that I used to look at all the time. And I always watched the annual showing of THE WIZARD OF OZ on tv.

Sandy K

I hope I didn't start a war here or anything. Having served as a moderator on another board for a long time, plus administrator of my own message board, I know that topics are going to naturally veer a little to the left or the right from time to time, which is no big deal to me. That happens in face-to-face conversation too as a conversation ensues, when someone says, "Oh, yeah, that reminds me ..." It happens some on MY message boards at the Diner too, but I don't worry about it TOO much, because after a few postings, it generally goes back to the original topic.

Sorry if I sparked a debate. :-(

Larry

http://lwsroute66.proboards57.com/

Message was edited by:

66Cafe

Larry, as far as I'm concerned, it was just a misunderstanding and I look forward to reading more of inglis' posts! As well as yours and everybody else's on these boards...

:)

Sandy K

Message was edited by:

sandykaypax

Hi Sandy .Thankyou for your reply I was just having a bad day so I was really wanting to hear about how you guys got started and it seemed that my thread was going in another direction I Thank you for your patience here as I am just new and didn't quite know what was happening.I will hopefully catch on better as time goes by. Gee does that sound like a song from a movie LOL Inglis

I'm not, per se, new; I've been lurking and reading here for quite some time; it's just been more recently that I've actually started posting here. I don't like the thought of being caught in the middle of a war, so I'm glad that this didn't turn into one! :-) I've been in the middle before and it's no fun! LOL And I always try to keep things on an even keel on MY boards too, so I try to respect the same on other boards.

Glad that we're getting along harmoniously! HEHE!!!! :-)

Larry

Hi Rick Thank -you and I enjoyed reading your story very much .It must have been great growing up in the 50's .Our house was built in1946 and when you walk into it, it is total 50's I have a beautiful 1954 consul stereo(the bass on it is incredible) and the rest of the house is 50's and 60's it could be a movie set You need not be sorry for being wordy.It was a pleasure to here from you

> Who was in The mummy ? and thankyou for your story

> Rainee

Boris Karloff was in it. We used to say all the lines in unison for most of the movie. Drove my mother crazy.

I'm in the Balt/DC area and there are hardly any local movie broadcasts at all. The few times when one is on they certainly don't go back very far. Maybe for Christmas but that's all.

P.S. I've been enjoying your website. I love all those old pictures.

Our local PBS channels show movies, but none of the others. The independent channels used to, but they became Fox, WB, etc. and stopped presenting movies even in the late hours. When the Independents did show them, they were constantly interrupted with commercials. It was pretty unbearable...

Yep, I can remember that too. KPLR-TV Channel 11 in St Louis used to have the Saturday Night Shocker on each Saturday at 10:30pm and they would play the old horror movies with Karloff, Price, Lugosi, Cushing, Lee etc etc. That was some of my earliest exposure to classic films, also. Then, I think WB took over KPLR. Boy, I sure do miss those days! :-)

Larry

I was looking for material to put on an iPod for my son-in-law serving in Iraq. The stuff that does the most for his morale are the old movies he's never seen. So I stumbled onto the TCM via EyeTV to iTunes video method to fill up a 60gb iPod with about 150 hours of TV programming that looks pretty good when played on an ordinary TV set with Apple's cable. Every few months we swap iPods.

I really think TCM ought to look into developing a service of this kind, sort of like netflix, but with video iPods that could hold some mix of HD versions of a dozen or so movies (or SD versions of many more.) I'd pay $25/month for a service like that.

Every Sunday afternoon, one of the local channels (can't remember which) played old movies--MGM musicals and Doris Day-Rock Hudson movies and the like. I used to watch them between church services as a kid, along with those "That's Entertainment" specials and of course, the yearly broadcasts of "Wizard of Oz" and "It's a Wonderful Life." My grandma took us to the re-release of GWTW in around 1978 or so and I loved it as much as she did. (I rented it in college and made all my friends watch it. They loved it too.) On the rare occasions when old movies came on HBO, I watched them and used to stop by Grandma's late at night and watch whatever she was watching on the late movies. I just wish that TCM had come to our area while she was still alive. She would have loved it.

I agree with you that TCM should get aboard this podcast trend. I really admire the guys and gals over there serving their country, and if old movies boosts their morale, the least TCM, or anyone, can do is to make this stuff available. That would be my idea of a care package.

Hey 66 cafe I grew up in St.Louis ( I live in Dallas now) . I remember at one time they called it the Creature Feature. I believe it was followed by a St. Louis staple the Three Stooges.

Yes, it was followed by 1 1/2 to 2 hours of Three Stooges, which usually went off around 1:30 or 2:00am. I remember that too. I think John Byner's Bizarre is what was on BEFORE the Saturday Night Shocker and the Three Stooges were AFTER it.

I don't recollect the Creature Feature though, but that doesn't mean anything anyway, LOL!! ;-)

Larry

My dad gave me a bio of Marilyn Monroe and I could have cared less. With nothing else to read one summer, I plucked it off the shelf and read it. I became obsessed with the blonde bombshell and rented all her movies. In my obsession with MM, I became obsessed with that era and began renting '50s films. Then I discovered TCM and watched only '50s films that aired but I kept hearing about this miraculous actress named Greta Garbo. One summer, they dedicated one night of the week to the Divine One and I decided to see what all the fuss was about. I began with her silents and when I heard her voice for the first time in Anna Christie, I was hooked. I became a Pre-Code junkie, watching Shearer, Gable, Dietrich, Stanwyck, Crawford, Garbo and all the others. I began reading all the books about the old glamour of Hollywood and bios of the stars. Ever since, I've been a fan of silents, pre-codes, '40s war films, musicals and of course the '50s. I'm afraid I get lost somewhere after 1959 ( a GREAT year for films). And my everlasting obsession is with Garbo and the films from '29 - '34.

both of my parents loved alfred hitchcock, so it was psycho and the birds. my dad is a 3 stooges freak so i watched a lot of those too. then i watched rebel without a cause and fell in love with james dean. i saw the sound of music a dozen times also. since then i got married and started getting more interested in oldies; so now i am officially hooked. right now i'm obsessed with doris day movies, but paul newman is my favorite