Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How did you all get into classic movies what is you story?

I grew-up watching "The Big Show", this aired on the weekend and my whole family would watch old movies, When I founded out about TM I joined the band wagon. I love ole movies, they capture a time long gone, they teach, they encourage, and most of all they entertain.

I'm new to this, just registered today after exploring the website a bit more. I was browsing the forums & this looked like a good place to start. FYI, I'm in my late 20's so I never had the opportunity to spend a whole day at the movies as a kid or see some of the greats when they opened. I don't remember the first film I saw, but my mom, being a music teacher, always brought home Rogers & Hammerstein & other great musicals for us to watch. I also remember then I saw The Wizard of Oz the first time (age 3 or 4) that I was terrified of The Wicked Witch of the West. I'd watch the movie, but I'd run & hide behind my dad's chair every time she'd show up, which went on until I was 10 or so. I watched a lot of my mom's favorite movies (i.e. anything with Robert Redford or Paul Newman, Casablanca, An Affair to Remember). My best friend's parents exposed me to the old westerns, which I grew to love, especially John Wayne (there'll never be another one like him). The last couple of years, I've been ill & have had a lot of down time, so I've had many a days where I'll sit & watch TCM all day. I'll watch almost anything, but my favorites now are Bogie, Lauren Bacall, John Wayne, Clark Gable, & Cary Grant movies, along with the musicals I saw as a kid.

HiLaurena727 Welcome aboard and thanks for starting with this forum .My Mom was a miusic teacher too! You are well on your way it sounds like when it comes to movies Have fun ! inglis

Welcome from a fellow Atlanta resident. Thanks for sharing your story, not a lot different from my own either. My mother wasn't a music teacher, just a big fan of R&H musicals (though her favorites and my favorites aren't the same). Again, welcome to the boards!

BTW, 66Cafe, I grew up in St. Louis (age 11 to 18) in the 70's and remember watching WTBS (Channel 17?) from Atlanta on Saturday mornings & afternoons. That's how I discovered the Bowery Boys, Abbott & Costello and ultimately classic movies when King Solomon's Mines (1950) aired one afternoon.

When I was a kid growing up in the 50's in Washington D.C. I was sickly. I spent most of my youth in bed. At that time all they had on TV to show for movies were the 30's and 40's films. That lasted into the 60's, and by then I was hooked. I always wanted to be a movie star in my fantasies, but then had a rude awakening by the time I hit twenty and the 70's movies were all sex and reality! I never did become a movie star!!!

My first favortie was Jean Harlow. I feel in love with her and was a devoted fan until I saw Garbo. For, years, in my youth they were the only two stars for me. Then, I saw Dietrich, and when I moved to San Francisco in my twenties, one of the first films I saw in a theatre was Algiers. Well, I was smitten just like everyone was the first time they saw Lamarr. It was in my thirties I started to diversify. Now, my list of favorites is as long as anyone else's!

I got into classic movies just by randomly flipping on TCM one day and actually watching a movie all the way through. It was The Awful Truth, with Irene Dunne and Cary Grant(one of my fave screwball comedies now) and since then, I've been hooked.

Growing up in New York City in the 1960's, I used to have a paper route. The Sunday New York Daily News was dropped off in an apartment building lobby at 5:00 a.m. so I used to stay up Saturday nights and watch "The Late Show" and "The Late Late Show", two programs that would play classic movies into the wee hours. (They used "The Syncopated Clock" as their musical theme.) The movies that I watched stayed with me, such as; "Julius Caesar", "Middle of the Night", "Marty" (my favorite) etc. Of course I also watched "Million Dollar Movie" which seemed to play "King Kong", "Son Of Kong" and "Mighty Joe Young"' over and over. By the way, when I saw "Gone With The Wind" as a re-issue, I yelled "Million Dollar Movie!" in the theater as "MDM" appropriated the theme music from GWTW!

I have to say how nice it is to here from you all and to hear all your stories . All of them are really interesting and I really lookforward to more in the future.It is really nice to have so many people who have the same passion for the movies as I do .I have very few friends who are into the movies so it is great that we can all share this passion together. I love the little details of some of your lives that got you started .John i Love your paper route tibit .

In a nutshell - I was born *after* my time! :-) I'm 41 presently.

Most of my childhood we only had black and white television sets so I was completely comfortable with lack of color as a rule, lol. Where we lived we got all of 3 stations, a 4th one was iffy. One of those regular stations was local country PBS. We actually had better programming then with those few channels than I do now with 900, LOL. I loved American Playhouse (I think that's what it was) and Masterpiece Theatre... and all of the OLD movies that were shown on weekends and late nights!

The firsts I remember with clarity was a showing of A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen followed immediately by a showing of Scrooge with Alastair Sim -- late night when I was 9 years old.

I've honestly preferred black & white old, classics since then and with rare exception watch anything but.

Hoo boy, savageknife!

I know you didn't ask me, but these guys were the mainstay of my yout. I remember all of Sandy's characters, Tex Antoine and the Confucius scandal, Officer Joe when he had Moe Howard on his show, Paul Winchell, Captain Jack McCarthy, and Sonny Fox of Wonderama. As well as Clowny and Diver Dan.

As I've shared here, Captain Jack helped me with a college paper on cartoons and I missed seeing Soupy Sales and Frank Nastasi by thiiiiis much (I wasn't allowed to go to NYC with my girlfriends at the time, how funny).

itsart2too2, I remember seeing Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim, once, at 11:30pm on Christmas Eve...and that was IT! Until the next showing at Christmas Eve the following year. Is it better now, with a gazillion channels and instant gratification? Yes and no.

johnpressman, are you? A press man, I mean? I used to buy printing. On The Syncopated Alarm Clock, I have downloaded it and it's amazing what memories it conjures up. The Late Show was one of my first exposures to b/w movies, which I love above all others, and I remember how I cried when King Kong died.

On the Million Dollar Movie, another story I have shared. At the time, a hundred years ago, I so loved that music that my father called channel nine, WOR, and asked them the title of their theme. Of course, I had no idea Tara's Theme was associated with GWTW until I saw it in Radio City Music Hall years later.

And TCM wonders why we don't want them to get on the reality show bandwagon.

My mom got me hooked on the classics. She grew up in Brooklyn NY and would tell me stories of the actors, little tidbits and such (she is kicking herself for not keeping the magazines Photoplay.) She started me with GWTW, so we rented the movie and I was hooked! The costumes were awesome! I love time period movies and of course Clark (ah my first love..LOL)

I love reading everyone's stories and learning about actors I haven't heard of! Learn something new everyday!

savageknife, I liked Norton Nork and Hambone. Yup, I remember Chuck with those Orphan Annie eyes.

I also liked Black Tooth and White Fang on Soupy Sales.

Now Zachary is one show I never ever watched. I also never saw the Andy Devine show, which I have read many people talk about.

I wonder if anyone taped all of those shows? I'm surprised they're not on DVD. Talk about nostalgia for Baby Boomers.

stoneyburke: I think back to childhood and wonder how I managed without more "helpings" of treasured Christmas shows/movies in particular. LOL, I guess as a kid it was part of what created that longing and big build-up to the season. Now, however... you are right... I'd lose my sanity if I couldn't catch 1800 various versions and showings of my favorites! And the added plus of having them on DVD just in case I miss the run! :-)

Wow, I didn't think anyone but me remembered Wonderama! I so wanted to be a kid on that show and get to bounce on those huge handled, ahem, balls... I wanted to tear thru that stack of beautifully wrapped and tantalizing prize boxes!!

Ah, memories.