Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
inglis

How did you all get into classic movies what is you story?

wonderful story it brought a tear to my eye My Mom is gone now but that is how it was with us and I have my own family now and we try to have a family night (Fridays) and watch a movie do popcorn .Thank you for sharing it was really nice

My mom used to watch the late-night movies on the limited channels available in the 70's, and I grew up watching readily-available films such as "Gone With The Wind" and "It's a Wonderful Life" with her. That was probably the start of my love for classics. My beautiful mother passed away in '88. I didn't think much about the classics until '96 when I happened to watch "Norma Jean & Marilyn", an HBO film about Marilyn Monroe's life. After watching that, I started buying Marilyn's films as well as many other classic movie actors' films. It has snowballed into (10 yrs later) a wonderful hobby. There are absolutely no more better films than the classics!

Your mom sounded a lot like my mom that is what we used to do .My Mother passed in2001and I have so many memories of her and how much she loved the movies.I thank you for sharing that with all of us.

I really enjoyed your story and about your parents both being at workand you and your brother would come home and have 12Cents each on the table and you were off to the movies.Wow! to see a movie for that amount times have changed haven't they and to grow up in that time .

hey normandie 7 great to here from you and welcome it's great to hear from the United Kingdom.

hey normandie 7 great to here from you and welcome it's great to hear from the United Kingdom.

Inglis and Cinemabuff64: Yes, it was a great way to spend 3 or 4 childhood years. And during that time many memories associated with movies resulted. Everyone in my generation knows where they were and what they were doing on December 7, 1941. I was leaving the Allegheny movie theater and first heard the news about Pearl Harbor in the lobby. This thread has reminded me that I have always meant to go to the Philadelphia newspaper archives to find out what movie was playing.

CCerini.Though I hadn't been born for the time of Pearl Harbor, I can only imagine the utter shock, kind of like 9/11 for my kids and Nixon's resignation for my generation, not to mention The hostages of 1980,The boycotted Olympics of 1980.I know that the last few I mentioned do not compare to Pearl Harbor or 9/11 but they do classify as out of the ordinary.

It all comes back to the same thing, the classics are a way of basking in the familiar, the more black and white the better,the more soothing background music the better.We can, with TCM and DVDs, reminisce at any given moment.WAY BACK THEN IT WAS AN EAGERLY AWAITED EVENT! ONLY TO BE SHARED WITH THE ONES YOU CHERISH.A ritual that bonded any and all who chose to participate.Each movie is a treasured memory.

>

> Speaking of TV shows - how about Soupy Sales Show

> with White Fang, Leo the Lion and the corny jokes (At

> the door: Good afternoon sir, I'm Brown from the Sun.

> Soupy: And I'm pale from the lack of it).

My husband saw the Soupy Sales DVD collection at Best Buy the other day. He almost bought it but didn't know if I wanted to see it. I thought it was a very funny show with adult humor sprinkled in that I didn't always get back then.

My dad wouldn't get a color TV until 1971. My grandmother gave me hers when she moved and it went in my room. Dad kept coming in to watch something on it until I told him to go buy his own. I knew some of the classic movies I was watching where in color but I was used to them in B&W. BTW dad got a color set within a week.

I grew up with parents that were into the Big Band and Swing Era. Harry James, Glenn Miller, etc...My mom met and had a drink with Harry James at a nightclub one time and I remember hearing this story and loving it. My parents loved all things music, acting, movies, dance, and Hollywood!! My parents were both born in 1926. My mother lived in Kentwood, Louisiana and in 1939 they let school out so all the kids could see "The Wizard of Oz"! Totally cool, right! Anyway, my dad passed away in 1992 and left a big void, but when my mother passed in 2002 this left an even greater void in my life. Now they were both gone. At the time I was home and I couldn't sleep well so I would flip through the movie channels and one day I found TCM and Robert Mitchum. From that moment on I have been hooked on the black & white classic movies. It reminds me of my parents and how they dressed up to go to nightclubs and dance and had so much fun together. Watching these movies actually soothes my heart and brings great comfort to me. It may sound crazy but it is true. I just sit back and escape into the movie as if I am one of the players! Mitchum reminds me of my dad very much-handsome and cool! A real ladies man. All of the women remind me of my mom. I love the black & white movies so much. I love TCM!!! And Robert Osborne is my dreamboat! So there is my story, hope you like it! Mitchumbabe

Hi Mitchumbabe

It is true movies do give you comfort when you have lost a loved one and they do help feel the void so it is not crazy . In your case both your parents are gone .I can totally understand your reasoning and the comfort which you get from watching old movies .Nice to hear from you and a really good story .

My parents were alot like yours dancing music they were from Scotland and were teenagers during WW2,they were both movie buffs but my mom was like the queen of knowledge when it came to the old movies and stars so when I was young we watched all kinds of movies together .She told me all kinds of info on anymovie we watched together .Madame X was one of the first ones I saw.and it just grew from there . My Dad is still around but my Mom died in 2001 and there was a huge void just as you said and I find that when I watch the old movies it is like she is still with me and I get a lot from that .Thanks for asking .Inglis

Inglis

Thanks for your story, it was wonderful. Madame X is a great movie! I have to wonder what it must have been like in the days of our parents "going out on the town"? I think it had to be magical, everyone all dolled up and the men were so galant and noble. I think I'd fall out if anyone ever called me a "doll" or a "dame" I'd be sooo excited! I am glad your dad is still here with you. Continue to make great memories with him. My dad served in WW II, he was in the Navy. OK, so my favorite actor is Robert Mitchum, who is yours? Although, I am also partial to Bogart, Gable, Tyrone Power, Jimmy Stewart, & Montgomery Clift( he was a dollface!). Mitchumbabe

About two years ago I rented Robin Hood (1938) and I really enjoyed it. Then, last year for spring break, we needed some movies for our road trip. I was flipping through the tv guide and found that robin hood was on on tcm. I ran to record it. I watched it again, and I was stuck. Honestly, the reason I got into tcm was that I fell in love with Errol Flynn and just wanted to see more of his movies. (I guess it helped a little bit that spring break is in March and Flynn was April?s star of the month. HeHeHe) But then of course you see other people in his movies, say Olivia, and you like them and watch their movies, then you like their siblings, say Joan, and then like the people in their movies, and finally you are hooked. I have been a faithful member of tcm for over a year now and have been a part of this board since January. I must admit it is one of the best things that has happened to me!

Inglis:

Madame X was on the other night and I cried my eyes out, like I do every time I see it. Your stories are very touching.Classics definitely strengthened the bonds of every family back in the day.I'm not much for modern technology but thank God for cable TV and TCM so we can appreciate all the classics and reminisce, not to mention the fact that we can pass it all down to our children.

Hi cinemabuff .I missed it I just caught the last part where she is dying and it doesn't matter if you miss the whole movies you can just catch that part and it makes you cry .Mitchumbabe sorry I did not reply rightaway I have been having prob;ems getting on to this thread My favorite actors some of them John Wayne Dana Andrews James Stewart Clark Gable .there is a thread somewhere that asks this question look for it if you can as it is really ggod and you get to see what everybody else is into it is so nice to hear from all of you and that we are all enjoying this

When my husband and I were dating we had a night planned to see "Citizen Kane." Something came up and he had to work. He insisted I go anyway. I didn't really want to but decided I would go. I was really unprepared as I only had two tissues. It really moved me. I've been hooked ever since. Since my hubby was already a classic movie fan it was easy to keep it going. 24 years later we still watch old movies together.

hello my name is gigi and i work in the entertainment industry..i saw your post and wanted to say that im a big fan of the late actor mr. orson wells..what a director..and actor in the old studio system. He stood up against those and his career may have suffered but at least he left a legacy of footage behind. I assume he was married to ms. rita hayward in his life? They should have had a child..i've been afan of tcm since the 1990's..as well as amc..except those annoying commercials....well keep the faith and keep watching tcm..

As a kid, I would look forward to the weekends where the local networks would run B&W films in the morning hours. The line up was mostly westerns and gangster films with an occasional film noir in the mix. I was hooked, particularly with the gangster films that included Cagney and/or Bogart. In the early 90's, I started watching foreign films at the local movie theater and became very interested in classic world films as well. I've watched TCM since the beginning and I couldn't be happier with the programming over the years. Keep up the great work TCM, you've done a great job in expanding the horizons of classic film lovers as well bringing in new younger generations of fans.

It seems that this thread will have longevity.I never tire of reading each and every story.I'm glad that your marriage has lasted.I seemed to do better on my own when I was younger, but now that I am stable I can't find the right one.I know what I deserve and I won't settle for less.Compatibility is a big factor in any lengthy relationship and it seems you have just that.

As for old movies, I'll always be addicted to them.

Vintage films on TV really were an event at one time, especially in the late sixties when stations started going to full color, and for a while anyway, shunned the black-and-white titles. Classics were hard to come by for some of us in the smaller, rural markets.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Slightly off-topic, have you noticed that the picture is clearer and shows a "crisper" image when watching a B&W movie on a color TV set, than when watching one on a B&W TV set?

A color TV set has a higher resolution with more pixels etc, so the picture doesn't seem as "fuzzy". I actually prefer watching them on the color TV set, because the film has better quality, in my opinion.

Larry

http://lwsroute66.proboards57.com/