Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
inglis

How did you all get into classic movies what is you story?

I can remember my Dad buying a Eatons Viking B W Tv back in the early sixties

and thinking it was a good picture as we had this old thing from the fifties before,so this was a step up and seeing The Beatles on Ed Sullivan was bonus. We bought a flat screen 3 years ago and the picture is excellent and I really enjoy watchingBW classics on it I find the picture alot sharper It is amazing how television has progressed and these ones that hang on your wall plasma I think they are called .What next .

Reading your entry reminds me of what I'm always saying to my kids,"Back when I was little we only had one TV and we all had to share".Of course they can't fathom that idea because most houses have a TV in every room, ours is a three TV home since they over used the fourth one and it konked out.

I started at the "deep end",so to speak-when I was around 15,I saw a picture of Mary Pickford in some book that I was reading,and developed an instant crush on her,for years! I used to sketch back then,and the best portrait that I ever did was a copy of a photo portrait of her,from some book.

Of course,for years her pictures were unavailable to the general public,so I read all about her and Lillian Gish,and satisfied myself with getting into classic movies that were available.Then Norma Shearer became my favorite.

Now a lot of Mary Pickford's,and Lillian Gish's films are available,and I'm just wallowing in the ones that I've been able to acquire. But that long stretch "in the wilderness" when I turned to any classic movie I could watch,began with Mary Pickford's picture in a book!

I got into classic movies through the music of that era, because there is a radio station here that plays what's called the "Great American Songbook" of c.1930-60. I started with musicals and followed my nose to the other genres.

I especially like the look of classic film, but I haven't studied types of film or lenses or filters so I don't know what made those films look the way they did.

I especially like the look of classic film, but I haven't studied types of film or lenses or filters so I don't know what made those films look the way they did.

Me too! The only thing that I do know,is that the earlier black-and-white films used nitrate film,which gave them that luminous "silvery" look that I love so well-hence the term "silver screen". I believe,unless I'm mistaken,that the nitrate film actually had some small quantity of silver in it.

Ohhh. Neat!

The good thing about the rise of digital film is that you can alter the images on the computer, so maybe in the coming years we'll see a rebirth of the misty look.

I got into classic films, I think, by watching - get this - one-half of Dark Victory on the morning movie when I was home sick from school. I went to school the next day and my mother told me what happened in the movie. Dark Victory remainns one of my favorite films to this day.

Then the next thing I remember is falling in love with Tyrone Power. Fast forward several decades later and I'm still in love with him and because of him have seen probably thousands of great films and written about film.

The people I loved as a child, the movies I loved as a child, I still love. With TCM I have been able to see more and more movies over the years and gain admiration for dozens and dozens of stars.

Hey, a Winnipeger!

I'm new here, haven't gotten around to posting and I thought this would be the thread to introduce me to this board.

It's hard to pinpoint the origin of my love of classical movies, it started from a love of movies. It was one of my many interests in general, one thing I knew from a certain age- I grew wary of mainstream box office hits and searched for something raw, indepth, stimulation and substance.

I've always been curious of the classics and I loved pop culture. But I never got the luck of getting a classical movie channel, to get the ball rolling. However, I did see a trailer of a new movie that sparked something and paved the way to classical movies. That movie was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Simply delightful! And from that it ignited a passion to see more movies, out of boredom last summer and running out of good tv shows to watch. Channel surfing one day saved me on December last year, my first TCM movie was Saratoga with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow and from then on I was gone. TCM is now probably the only channel I've been watching for the past eight months.

My obsession with Classic movies originates with my fondness for the music of Frank Sinatra. In an attempt to introduce us to good music my mother purchased a Frank Sinatra/Tommy Dorsey C.D. I was so taken with the song "I'll take Tallullah" that I decided I must see the film in which it is featured: "Ship Ahoy!" In my attempts to locate this movie I had soon rented every musical at the local video store-I was hooked. The jump to classic movies was natural.

daddysprimadonna, I thought I was a young one!

I was 19, a bartender in college, came home late and watched "Foolish Heart". I was hooked on movies and on Dana Andrews. (my 1st thread was this week on him!) Could not get enough. Started a hobby of sorts. Watched a movie, picked leading lady or man, read their biography and watched more movies based on this. My father brought me up on older music like jazz and big band. My friends all call me an "old soul". I had my daughter 4 years ago and have continued the tradition. I wish I would have discovered this younger so I could discuss with my grandparents in addition to my parents. I want to know what it was like to grow up "With more stars than in the heavens" as MGM would say.

hello everybody, my name is stefan and i recently came upon this website last week. i'll be nineteeen in about 2 months... and practically none of my friends watch these movies. when i was younger i'd watch a lot of tv, and i'd always skip over the black and white movies cause i thought they were stupid. but one day last year or so i came upon TCM and for some reason i didn't turn it off. their star of the month was Cary Grant, and bringing up baby was on. i had no clue who cary grant was, or katharine hepburn (or anybody else for that matter. sad... i know). but since then i've been watching TCm alllllllll the time. my family thinks i'm crazy... and so do my friends haha.

and recently i discovered a movie place near here that has a huge classic movies section (other than blockbuster which barely has any classic movies). in two visits to this place i've rented 9 movies... and that was within 2 days. needless to say, i'm addicted. and i'm trying to get all of my friends to realize how amazing the old movies are through movie marathons and what not.

"Bringing Up Baby" is a great one to start for comedy. I was your age also when I started and boy will the women love you if you like the classics. Which I will add a few tips. Movies are classics, not old movies. "Weekend at Bernie's" is an OLD movie. When a man makes love in a movie he is (usually!) at "first base" or a little more if lucky. But you have most likely figured it out because you were smart enough to stop at TCM!

Katherine Hepburn is my all time favorite. Please watch "Women of the Year", "Pat and Mike" and of course "Look Who's Coming To Dinner".

I am a huge Dana Andrews fan so I will also suggest "Best Years of Our Lives" and "Foolish Heart". "Laura" of course.

I think you will find that the classics will teach you so much, without the violence and profanity ridden movies of your generation. They make some good new films, which I will almost guarantee, are remakes.

Don't blame Blockbuster too much. We cannot get our movies as easy (or fast enough) on DVD and they do not do VHS anymore. I have to do the same. A good "Mom and Pop" store will have a good supply.

Twenty years ago my friends thought me odd too. Leave them to their "Friends" re-runs.

Now, can I get you hooked on the music??

Message was edited by:

susanno

SusannO

Message was edited by:

SusannO

It is great to see all your stories, it was slowing down a bit so it is nice to see new people here and to read how you got started in the classics .There are some really good stories here for those of you who have not read them go back as they are really interesting .

SusannO, same here :) I love old jazz music,especially the stuff from the Twenties(you know, all that music that had the xylophone in it,that kind of stuff. There's a great internet radio site that has a few stations that play that kind of stuff,as well as jazz from the Thirties,novelty numbers from that era,big Band,cabaret-including some German cabaret stuff,etc-great stations. The site is Live 365,I'll look up the name of some of the particular stations later if you like :) )

I wish I'd grown up then,also-seeing a movie from Hollywood's Golden era in one of the classic "movie palaces" had to be an experience to which nothing today could compare,especially the present-day generic "cineplex" movie experience. I could even imagine getting dressed up(with hat and gloves,LOL) to go see a movie back then,and it being an "event". Not everytime,but for some of them. I wish that there was still such a thing!

I'm not so very very young,but I don't mind allowing people to think that I amwink.gif

Gosh we are alike. I, too, love hats and gloves. Women do not care how they look the way they used to. My mother never left the house without lipstick. I am very lucky by my mom. She was a classic beauty, should have gone to Hollywood. Won many pageants, etc. She was happy but poor so she modeled for clothes. I kept her beautiful purses, collars, etc. AND her greatest gift...she sent away for hundreds of movie star autographs the studios would mail out. She even kept a ledger of who responded!

By the way, I am not bragging above...I look just like my Dad!!

You are not bragging ,you are telling about things close to your heart and as well some really cool stuff about your Mom . When I was little my Mom would always have me in white gloves at easter and a new hat to wear to church . My Mom also wore hats and gloves and always carried a purse with such class .There is alot missing with today's society.

Not at my house, my 4-year old sported her white gloves this Easter! It is sad because these harmless little pastimes are really about caring for yourself and also I think it respects our elders. I am ok with things like the "new" fad of casual church but I look at that as OK, my daughter can wear a "Polo" style DRESS, not cut off jeans and tank tops!

They say history repeats itself but our children are growing up with a lack of manners and self-esteem.

Let's get back on track..

You said you liked Norma Shearer. One of my all-time favorites. "The Women" is such a hoot yet I really believe it is so much like that with women. "Marie Antoinette" is another all-time favorite. She could carry of a period piece because she knew how to wear the clothes. Bette Davis is someone else who knew how to wear clothes instead of the clothes wearing her. (I am certain a quote I heard once)

Scarlet was beautiful but Julie finally in her white dress pleading to Preston. That dress we all wanted her to wear so badly. The some goes for "Now, Voyager". Look how she wore those clothes. Any favorites?

> Women do not care how they look the way they used to.

You are SO right...they go out wearing any old thing, looking like God-knows-what! My husband always wonders why I insist on going places like the grocery store clean, well-groomed and wearing makeup...

In keeping with the thread...I can't remember how I became obsessed with classic movies...I'll have to think about that...

I love reading and keeping up with this thread! It is so fascinating to see how everyone got interested in the old movies! I think that the BEST part is seeing SO MANY YOUNG PEOPLE into the old films! That is truly wonderful! :-)

Isn't Hollywood going to learn? Are they not reading this thread? This is the material we want back, people! Bring back the quality, not the quantity!!!! Bring back back the movies with substance! Bring back the movies with drama and acting -- NOT CGI and SFX!!!!

Larry

http://lwsroute66.proboards57.com/

Hey Larry it is always good to see your comments on here I like this thread too I am surprised it took off so well as I was just new and I didn't think anybody would be interested . Inglis

i totally agree with you. one of the reasons why i love these classics so much is because they all have a story line, and a point. of course there are modern movies that do the same thing, but it seems there are a lot of modern movies with no point at all. or even looking at the actors... oy i'm not even gonna get into that. i'll just say this, i find few modern actors and actresses that even compaire to the older actors and actresses.

-stefan

I'm 40 years old here. And it all started with network showings of the Wizard of Oz. Being sick at home from time to time also allowed me the opportunity to watch old movies on a local UHF station. DARK PASSAGE comes to mind on one of those days. Always watched the Ten Commandments, Mary Poppins, Sound of Music and Gone with the Wind when they were on too. I found also that many characters had decent manners and had a social respect for one another. Does "art reflect life?" Maybe it did and still does. Movies today display the informality of living nowadays. Call it good, call it bad, but I feel like today's cinema has more influence over audiences today. Whereas in the past, I feel the movies really were an extension of everyday values. That's why I cling to the older movies more than today's cinematic efforts.