Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frank Finlay 1926-2016

LawrenceA

Oscar-nominated actor Frank Finlay has died. A respected stage actor, he made his film debut in PRIVATE POTTER in 1962. He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in 1965 for his role as Iago opposite Laurence Olivier in OTHELLO. Among his other notable films were THE SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN, THE MOLLY MAGUIRES, CROMWELL, GUMSHOE, Porthos in the highly successful THE THREE MUSKETEERS and THE FOUR MUSKETEERS, Van Helsing opposite Louis Jourdan in COUNT DRACULA, THE WILD GEESE, MURDER BY DECREE, and the cult favorite LIFEFORCE. In all, he amassed some 137 film and television credits in a career that lasted over 40 years.

He was awarded a CBE in 1984.

• Like 4

Finlay was quite villainous as a modern-day slave trader tracked down by private detective John Shaft (Richard Roundtree) in "Shaft in Africa" (1973). The film's director, John Guillermin, died on September 27, 2015.

shaft-in-africa-richard-roundtree-frank-

• Like 1

There are two TVM's that Frank Finlay was excellent in:

The Adventures of Don Quixote (1973) where he was Sancho Panza to Rex Harrison's Quixote and as the lead in The Death of Adolf Hitler (1975).

He's awfully good as Marley's Ghost in the 1984 TV edition of "A Christmas Carol" starring George C. Scott. It's become my favorite version of the Dickens tale, and now I'm sorry I didn't take the time to watch it again last Christmas.

carol_george_c%20scott_Frank_Finlay.jpg

• Like 2