Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this Joe Downing?

scsu1975

I am trying to identify the actor at the left, from The Dirty Dozen. I think it's Joe Downing, who played a lot of gangsters in old Warner Bros. flicks. But he is not mentioned in the cast. A photo of Downing is also below. Any ideas?

dirty%20dozen_zpsx7cqgz5a.png

downing_zpsyvlxzgoj.jpg

Just comparing the photos, I'd say probably not; Downing's nose appears to be narrower, and cheekbones not as prominent.  Pretty similar otherwise, though.

According to imdb, his last credits were all in TV ending in 1963.  His last movie was Slaughter on Tenth Avenue in 1957, so chances are the actor in The Dirty Dozen isn't him.

If this is the only scene the actor appears in, and there's no character name, it's going to be tough to pin down.  I Googled several images of unfamiliar actors listed in the credits, but no dice.  Good luck, Tor.

Thanks for the input Belle.

As I recall, this is the only scene in The Dirty Dozen in which the actor appears, and I'm almost certain he has no lines. I'll have to check the film next time it's shown. I will also see if any of Downing's later tv work is available on youtube for comparison. He would have been around 64 for The Dirty Dozen, but he doesn't appear that old in the screen shot.

I suppose it's possible that Downing (or whomever this guy is) just did a quick walk-on, which is why there is no mention in imdb. Then again, imdb is not 100% accurate.

Wait, Rich!

Now I suppose I could be wrong here, but do you think there's even an outside chance that that could be Trini Lopez's father?!

(...yeah yeah, I know...if you had a hammer right now, you'd hammer me in the morning and the evening for this one here, huh...sorry)

;)

Wait, Rich!

Now I suppose I could be wrong here, but do you think there's even an outside chance that that could be Trini Lopez's father?!

(...yeah yeah, I know...if you had a hammer right now, you'd hammer me in the morning and the evening for this one here, huh...sorry)

;)

No. And it is not Jackie Vernon either.

No. And it is not Jackie Vernon either.

Wait! Jackie Vernon was in THE DIRTY DOZEN ???

Shecky Greene or maybe even Nipsey Russell(doubling for Jim Brown in a few shots?), but I'm pretty sure Jackie wasn't in this one, Rich.