Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Magnificent 7 music

Gee, I'd never thought of Ravel in connection with The Magnificent Seven. Bernstein was Julliard graduate so certainly would have had exposure to the great composers, but I don't hear the french tones of Ravel in this piece. However, some have paralleled the Magnificent Seven score with Jerome Moross' similar theme music for The Big Country.

Well, Elmer Bernstein studied with Aaron Copland (who used to live a couple of miles from me when I was growing up in Westchester County, NY), which ought to tell you where Bernstein's sense of what constitutes indigenous American music came from. And, while THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN may be the epitome of Bernstein's Western idiom (something he developed and defined for film as surely as he did symphonic jazz for films such as THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM and A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE), he wrote a string of Western scores, becoming, essentially, John Wayne's composer of choice for films such as THE COMANCHEROS, THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER, BIG JAKE and TRUE GRIT.

Copland was, of course, a tremendous influence on Moross, too, whose THE BIG COUNTRY, THE JAYHAWKERS and THE PROUD REBEL really set the standard as to how to score a Western.

It's interesting, isn't it, that the greatest composers of Western music were all Jews from New York City.

I agree about Ravel. Bernstein's music for 'The Magnificent Seven' always reminded me of Ravel's orchestration of Mussorgsky's 'Pictures At An Exhibition', if only in style and power, the influence is apparent.

The CD of Elmer Bernstein conducting The Scottish National Orchestra playing the full Orchestral arrangement of the 'Magnificent Seven' music is truly excellent. Go buy it, and play it with the sound cranked all the way up, and tell me I'm wrong.

Regards

Thanks to all for the replies.

So...my guess is there is no *known* influence for the Mag 7 composition, right?

Does seem as if it's similar to The Big Country.

Metry Road, I live in NO area for a while many years ago. I have friends from "Metry" that moved to Denver later. And I had family that just moved out due to the Katrina devastation. Hope all is well in your area after Katrina.

Thanks for the Ravel connection as well.

The Jewish influence in developing the American ideals as depicted in film is interesting, and just a little ironic, I guess. Many times it is the immigrants who see their new country with *fresh eyes* as well.

Message was edited by:

LarryDarrow52

The CD of Elmer Bernstein conducting The Scottish National Orchestra playing the full Orchestral arrangement of the 'Magnificent Seven' music is truly excellent. Go buy it, and play it with the sound cranked all the way up, and tell me I'm wrong.

Buy it if you can find it. The CD, along with its companion recording of Bernstein's THE GREAT ESCAPE, was withdrawn by RCA shortly after it was issued because the discs used photos of Steve McQueen without permission of, and payments to, the McQueen estate. RCA decided that re-pressing the discs was too much trouble, and just ordered the recalled CD's destroyed.

Fortunately, I was able to buy both when they first appeared (and had Elmer autograph them for me before he died).

Happy face is a colon followed by a close parenthesis without a space in between. :)

Winking face is a semicolon followed by a close parenthesis - no space. ;)

These are the only ones I've tried. Experiment and maybe you can find some others.

CharlieT

:( = colon followd by open parenthesis

Still haven't found open mouth smiley face.

Message was edited by:

CharlieT