Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Iowa Caucus Eve: Clinton & Cruz Pray for Bad Weather

darkblue

Been doing some reading and watching on how Iowa caucus system  works.  It is totally worthless and the least democratic or fair of any system devised, other than the smoke filled back rooms of the old days.

Even with a vastly larger population, they have far fewer participants that small state primaries.

If they were not first in the nation, they would be totally ignored and classified as what they are - irrelevant, incompetant and immaterial.

Trump should have boycotted Iowa entirely.  Now that would have been a refreshing statement.

Anything new with this today? Did they caucus all over themselves yet? Or did it snow on their cauci?

Not sure, but I think some of them don't happen until tonight.  So you get off work, get a babysitter for the kids, drive to one of the actual caucus locations, listen to spokespeople make presentations, "vote," then "vote," then "vote," until somebody decides there is a "winner" or two or three or whatever.

Dumbest process I ever heard of.

• Like 3

All I know is that after tonight I won't have to hear the words "Iowa Caucus" again for four more years. 

What we need are national primaries over six or nine weeks with all 50 states participating.   If you choose a senator this year you go first; then the 2018 states not in the first batch go next, then the rest.  Each primary would be spread over the entire country so they'd have to be reckoned with.  The herd would still be thinned out but I think those left would be truly representative of the whole.  Conventions no longer have much say in the choice as they did 50 or so years ago. 

All I know is that after tonight I won't have to hear the words "Iowa Caucus" again for four more years. 

What we need are national primaries over six or nine weeks with all 50 states participating.   If you choose a senator this year you go first; then the 2018 states not in the first batch go next, then the rest.  Each primary would be spread over the entire country so they'd have to be reckoned with.  The herd would still be thinned out but I think those left would be truly representative of the whole.  Conventions no longer have much say in the choice as they did 50 or so years ago. 

Isn't that sort of like what we have now?  Only 6 months or so before conventions.  There would have to be some method of having only about six primaries on one day, then six on another, then six more, etc. to get all into 6-9 weeks.

My thoughts are to have five or six regions with primary on same day in each region.  The states would rotate which goes first in each region every four years.  One that goes first this year, goes to end of list for next Presidential primary.

Trump lost!  No matter how you slice and dice it, Trump lost.  In his philosophy, second place is losing.  He's a loser!

I guess Romney lost the GOP primary since he didn't 'win' Iowa either.     Trump did just as expected.    The GOP has changed how the primaries are run this year.   Read up and learn something.

Not that I make a habit out of coming to the defense

of Jeb!, but he actually finished in sixth place with

2.8% of the vote. Last night, before all the votes

were counted, he was down with all the other 1.8

percenters, but then the Bush name worked its

magic and he shot up to 2.8%. Still pretty bad

for a guy who had a $100 million war chest. I'm

enjoying every minute of his public humiliation. :)

LMREO. A last minute surge! Fishy.

Still only one delegate!

I guess Romney lost the GOP primary since he didn't 'win' Iowa either.     Trump did just as expected.    The GOP has changed how the primaries are run this year.   Read up and learn something.

Trump was supposed to WIN Iowa????  The polls and his supporters said so.  He lost.

Incidentally, Iowa has caucus system, not primary and I believe it is essentially the same as in the past.

Regardless, Trump knew the rules and still said he was going to win by placing first.  

First comments on media are that Trump was not as well organized as others and that skipping the debate was a factor in his losing votes.  You would think a great business tycoon would have the best organization of any group.

Rubio did well because he is the Republican considered most likely to defeat Clinton by the majority of Republican vorters.

C

Cruz was well-organized in Iowa and was expected to do well. Rubio is the one who raised eyebrows.

C

Cruz was well-organized in Iowa and was expected to do well. Rubio is the one who raised eyebrows.

Cruz is also a religious nut case and that is why he did well in Iowa and beat Trump.    Rubio clearly showed he is the establishment candidate at least in Iowa.     But I was surprised by his strong showing (I.e. I assumed the establishment vote would be more spread out over the other establishment candidates). 

Trump was supposed to WIN Iowa????  The polls and his supporters said so.  He lost.

Incidentally, Iowa has caucus system, not primary and I believe it is essentially the same as in the past.

Regardless, Trump knew the rules and still said he was going to win by placing first.  

First comments on media are that Trump was not as well organized as others and that skipping the debate was a factor in his losing votes.  You would think a great business tycoon would have the best organization of any group.

Rubio did well because he is the Republican considered most likely to defeat Clinton by the majority of Republican vorters.

Only in your mind and in the minds of some fools in the media was Trump supposed to WIN Iowa.   Folks in the know assumed Cruz would beat out Trump since Cruz is a religious nut case and Trump is not (e.g. 3 marriages).   

Either way Iowa doesn't matter much based on the outcomes of past primaries.   Just ask Huckaboo and Ricky.