Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whom else likes or remembers: *WALLACE BEERY?

spencerl964

(*-always OSCAR indication) I'm posting/writing this poll actually! & that is what I'm calling this (1) A POLL of the longtime gone & ACADEMY winner: *WALLACE BEERY-(1885-1949) There are (2) major reasons. He's my fathers all-time favorite motion picture star! & there is hardly anything on the internet, concerning this actor? Maybe, because he went so-long ago? But the greatest comedian ever born in this country: W.C. Fields, died (3) yrs. before him. But comedy holds-up better then most film genre & W.C. is a one of a kind! Thing is, knowing how film-history knowledgable this crowd is & TCM often plays: *BEERY'S pix. as well. So I'm sure there are a few of his fans out-there? & he's also interred in a story I wrote entitled: ("Where the Golden Age GIANTS Rest!">"Forest Lawn" in Glendale, CA.) Ironically so is his sometime on-screen partner: *MARIE DRESSLER-(1869-1934) & sooo-many others-(You can find that post/just look for above forementioned title?) L.B. Mayer was not very-fond of *Mr. BEERY, but his pictures made $$$ Especially when teamed with *DRESSLER! But I am gonna list his only (2) ACADEMY noms. & one victory. 1931-32. & though it was a tie? Actually *BEERY officially was (1 to 2 votes) behind co-winner: *FREDRIC MARCH in "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde." But under A.M.P.A.S. rules of the day, it counted as a tie? Most don't know that *WALLACE & his brother Noah Beery, also worked in silent era? Noah, pretty-much quit when sound arrived. *WALLACE however was in both: "Last of Mohicans" (1920 version) & "The Lost World" (1925 & yes, it had dinosaurs.) Below are my picks as his best/film/performance & his OSCAR nods:

ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATIONS AND OR WINS-(NOTE: the term OSCAR did not start for a few years)

1929-30 "The Big House" (M-G-M) (Best Actor Nomination & this is the victory he should have had!?/The granddaddy of all prison films)

1931-32 *"THE CHAMP" (M-G-M) (As noted; tied for the GOLD! With *FREDRIC MARCH-1897-1975)

My candidate as the finest film he appeared in:

*"GRAND HOTEL" (1932) close call with '33's "Dinner at Eight!" (The latter of which, is very bizarre in that, it didn't earn (1) single ACADEMY nom? & It's a comedy-drama)

My Pick as his greatest work as an actor/performance:

1934's "Viva Villa!" (M-G-M/David 0. Selznick)

It's well known, especially by TCM viewers that *BEERY actually detested children. & frequent co-star: Jackie Cooper-(1922-) is always asked about him. & he tells the truth. How after the take, he pushed him away. He did that with other kids as well. I almost 4-got, 1934's version by M-G-M of course of: "Treasure Island." I always rank *BEERY'S Long John Silver as the best! Most go for: Robert Newton in the role!?

Anyway, I wrote this item as I said at the top. My father & his all-timer/but I can never find any material on the man? It's a wee-bit bizarre. But I'm positive you guys/gals on here, at least know whom the actor was? & probably there are a few like my father & even like him as a favorite!? By the way, when in that enormous park in Glendale. I never did find *BEERY'S plot & of course his house is gone?

I always liked the old codger although I heard he wasn't very pleasant to work with.

With a mug like his he beat the odds and became a leading actor in many fine films. My favorites are his starring roles with Mickey Rooney; Jackie Cooper; Marie Dressler and Marjorie Main.

It's hard to believe he was once married to Gloria Swanson although I gather he could turn on the charm.

He definately deserves to be remembered.

Mongo

I've always been a fan of Mr. Beery's - my favorite of his is "Grand Hotel" - he was great as the captain of industry type - he played the part very well, and had a similar role in "Dinner at Eight." I also enjoyed "Min and Bill," in which he co-starred with the great Marie Dressler. I have yet to see "Tugboat Annie," but heard that they were great together in that too.

I don't much like Wallace Beery, but I thought he was very good in GRAND HOTEL, DINNER AT EIGHT and THE BIG HOUSE.

The interplay between "Dan" and "Kitty Packard" in GRAND HOTEL is priceless. I also thought he played the inmate who couldn't read in THE BIG HOUSE well too.

It might be true, nedlato, but I've never heard anything about it in all I've seen and read about Queen Mary. I'll have to look into it.

Once again I must begin with: "Hope this logs this time?" To alix1929 you assisted me before on this matter. Do you know what is going-on NOW!? With just entering these boards/forums.? Let me know please at: spencer

64@ij.net PLEASE!

About *WALLACE BEERY & this "Queen Mary," jazz. I don't know what you guys are speaking of? I must be honest. Do you meen an M-G-M film or real-life?

Because *BEERY died of a heart attack in 1949. Age of 63.

You can find him listed in a massive story I wrote: "Where the Golden Age GIANTS Rest!" He's interred with most of 'em. though I never found his grave.

"Forest Lawn" the one in Glendale CA. not Hollywood Hills though. Ironically in Great Maus. where even "*THe King: GABLE," is laid to rest, nxt. to Carole Lombard too! But his co-star: *MARIE DRESSLER is interred inside as well.

Queen Mary the real-ship as I look at my massive calif. map here above desk. It's down-coast, near: Long Beach.

You had me so-intrigued about-it, I looked up his films in Maltin book. Seeing if he made a film about that ship.

I was watching one of those Queen Mary ghost story shows and someone mentioned an actor dying aboard the ship, but the corpse was somehow smuggled to a hotel room so as not to cause a scandal. For some stupid reason I thought it was Mr. Beery. I'm truly sorry for causing any trouble. I shouldn't watch those things anyway!

You just can't beat good old Wallace Beery, though I'd sure like to try. But seriously, I... well, dawgawnit! I really would like to beat him! He's dead? Really? I didn't even know he was sick. Oh. The salmon moose, eh? Too bad. Hmmm, how's Greer Garson these days?

• 3 years later...

Yes, he his my favorite, I have films like, flesh, tugboat annie, the mighty barnum,hell divers, this man's navy, thunder afloat, many more, I have a picture of his grave, and some material about how he killed one of the three stooges, ted healy, and other infor. keith edwards