Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ninotchka remade as Silk Stockings

gwtwbooklover

By utilizing the database for the first time my suspiscions were confirmed! They remade Ninotchka into the musical Silk Stockings. Silk Stockings has got to be, to me mind you, one of the most boring movies made-hate it. As I was getting ready for work Ninotchka was on and I thought this sounds just like Silk Stockings in parts and when I saw the summary for Stockings and Cyd Charisse plays Ninotchka it is TRUE! I can't believe it. I guess everybody else knew it but me. I like the actors in Silk Stockings but that movie is awful wonder how it did at the box office? It might have been a big movie for all I know like Anchors Away which when Robert Osborne said it was a big, big hit you could have knocked me over with a feather. I didn't like it either. I would have preferred to watch Singing in the Rain.

Yes, Silk Stockings was a remake of Ninotchka, but you have to remember the times. It was the time of the big MGM Musicals, and they were cranking them out. Personally, I liked Silk Stockings for what it was, and I loved Janis Page. Cyd needed starring vehicles, and this was just one of the many they put her in. She did a great job. As she grew older, and I saw her interviewed on many shows, I realized she was a classy lady with tremendous composure and style. Loved Cyd. But, Silk Stockings was a poor imitation of Ninotchka.

Actually, the MGM musicals were in great decline when Silk Stockings was released in 1957. The cut-backs had started a few years earlier, and soon the musical production staff would be in a tailspin. They tried 3-D (Kiss Me Kate) and Cinemascope (It's Always Fair Weather, Silk Stockings among others). The Freed Unit, which once was given carte blanche was now tightly budgeted. Brigadoon, which Vincent Minnelli had planned to film on location, was ordered to shoot the entire movie on the lot to save money. The Pasternak and Freed Units used to make up to four movies a year (each!), were now down to one a piece. So it was cheaper to remake a product that MGM already owned.

In the context of the times, I think what's interesting about Silk Stockings is it was released when the U.S. was reeling against communism. The Hollywood blacklists were in effect and the country felt as if it were in direct competition with the Soviet Union. Silk Stockings was released two months after the death of McCarthy. And here was a movie that made fun of the Soviet Union and confirmed the American dream.

As a musical, it's flawed. But "All of You" is one of the sexiest songs ever written ("I love the looks of you, the lure of you, I'd love to make a tour of you...") and Miss Charisse is exquisite.

Wow! You really know your stuff! It will be great reading your comments! I will welcome your clarifications on my inaccuracies. I have a lot of knowlege, but it is mostly superficial, except for Garbo! But, I still learn more about her everyday!

Everyone sharing their knowledge makes this a great message board. I've only been here a little over a month and have learned so much already from all that I've read here. I'm truly humbled by some of the participants here. And I'm glad that you've joined us. Welcome!

I like Silk Stockings better, too--but then I adore Fred Astaire (and Cyd and Janis Paige) and I've never cared for Garbo much (I know--sacrilege!)

Before it was a movie, Silk Stockings was a Broadway musical (1955), starring Don Ameche and Hildegarde Neff. It's pretty hard to imagine Alexander Graham Bell putting over "All of You" the way Astaire does, though {melt}.

I agree with you about Astaire!!! I loved him in everything he did. He and Ginger tore up the floor! But, my favorite of all times is You Were Never Lovelier with Fred dancing with Rita Hayworth (Gilda)! Wow! She was never lovelier than in that movie. Now, back to Silk Stockings, I love it when Cyd is taking out all of the clothes she has hidden around the room and dances with the silk stockings! Great scene!

You're so right, GarboManiac (and what a good sport you are about my post!). "I'm Old-Fashioned" from You Were Never Lovelier is such a beautiful dance. I love the way she (I know, I know, with the voice of Nan Wynn) sings the song to him beforehand, and that affectionate look on his face while she does so. Then he holds her close and sort of rocks forward and back to begin the dance. Talk about sexy!

Have you ever seen the Jerome Robbins ballet that was built around the number?

Message was edited by:

Ayres