Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Know I wasn't around for the golden age of film but... (Cont. in post)

I've seen enough classics to fuel the fire behind one of my strongest beliefs. And that is that the majority of film makers and actors today don't know what the hell they are doing! They seem to think that the more special effects, sex, and senseless violence there is in film the better it is. I can't stand it!!! the whole business has become a monotonous cycle of stupid plot lines, bad scripts, two cent actors with big heads and no talent, and numerous disgraceful remakes and sequels. It makes me wonder if the old hollywood greats ever feel like turning in their graves! Why can't hollywood get back to the basics and make movies worth watching again?!!!

It's because the men and women running the studios (and responsible for the bottom lines of their studios) are forever chasing the 18-25 young male demographic. This demographic is supposed to only be interested in movies with lots of explosions, violence, some sex but blowing things up is better. They are less interested in the storyline as long as there are lots of CGI, fast cuts and the action seems non-stop. For years this demographic has controlled the majority of films that get released because they quite often see a film on the opening weekend and if they like it, see it more than once.

It is only recently that the chinks in the armor of this demographic are finally starting to show. That demographic has many other entertainment options available now than even five years ago so movies on an opening weekend night might not be their top choice or even in their top three. Many big budgeted Hollywood movies are held back so as to secure the most advantegeous opening date in the summer. Plus these hoped for blockbusters open on thousands of screens across the country. This makes it very hard for the smaller budgeted, more story oriented films to compete for business and many of them are discovered on DVD after their initial release.

Will Hollywood see the light before they join the music industry in the group better known as "We saw the coming technologies but we thought our customers would never desert us and we could continue to sell them bad product because we could"?

It should be interesting to watch.

On the other hand, for every bad so called blockbuster that gets all the press, there still are great, smaller plot driven films made. "ThankYou for Not Smoking", "History of Violence", Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, Mrs. Henderson, Calendar Girls, The Incredibles, The Squid and the Whale, The Proposition, The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, LA Confidential to name a few.

The often require you look a little harder for them because they don't get the press but they are out there.

"On the other hand, for every bad so called blockbuster that gets all the press, there still are great, smaller plot driven films made. "ThankYou for Not Smoking", "History of Violence", Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, Mrs. Henderson, Calendar Girls, The Incredibles, The Squid and the Whale, The Proposition, The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, LA Confidential to name a few.

Thank you for pointing this out. We vote with our wallets. The more money these quality films make, the more Hollywood will make them. So I hope that all the people complaining about the lack of quality films are making a concerted effort to go see the few goods ones -- and during the first weekend. It's the box office receipts of the first weekend that makes a difference to the brass.

I go out to the movies every week, and only a few weeks out of the year do I have a problem finding something worthwhile at the cinema.

I've noticed that there seem to be more family films being released than there were 5-10 years ago. I don't have any data to back that up, just something that I've noticed. I think that's a good thing. I wonder if that is related to the success of movies like the Harry Potter series and animated films like TOY STORY and SHREK.

Sandy K

I've noticed that there seem to be more family films being released than there were 5-10 years ago. I don't have any data to back that up, just something that I've noticed. I think that's a good thing. I wonder if that is related to the success of movies like the Harry Potter series and animated films like TOY STORY and SHREK.

And unfortunately, the toys and marketing items that go with them...I wonder--if marketing had been around in the thirties, like today, would there have been Scarlett dolls , bedspreads and a "Tara" Dream Home and maybe a Prissie doll that says, "I don't know nothin' bout birthin' no babies!" over and over when you push her button? And a Tom Powers action figure with real shoot 'em up action!

I know there were Shirley Temple dolls, but nothing like the marketing that goes on today.