Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If She weren't dead what actress do you think would stoll have a career?

I think Barbara Stanwyck, Ginger Rogers, and Joan Blondell would have careers. These three actress were often understated (Sorry Wrong Number the obvious exception for Stanwyck) and that is popular today. And just for kicks I think the guy that would still have a career today would be Bogart (for the same reason).

I agree with Katharine Hepburn having a career and Elenore Parker Betty Davis for sure ,Vivien Leigh, Greer Garson .There are more for sure I just can't name them all.Good Post bythe way.

I don't know about Katharine Hepburn! Her Parkensin's would no doubt be more apparent now. I hated to see her in that condition on screen.

On Golden Pond (1981) is the last film I saw her in and it was apparent then. She did win an Oscar for that film however. Her forth, if I'm not mistaken.

Bill

Vivien Leigh's acting career would've just ended a couple of years ago because she had said she wanted to act onstage and onscreen until she was in her 80s. I don't know about Greer Garson because her heart trouble had slowed her down, but Bette Davis would probably still doing her movies now at the age of 98 had not she died ;)

sorry I did not realize we were talking about all the health problems I was just saying if they were around today and in our time( Young) they would,didn't think my answers were going to be picked apart and I guess I misunderstood the question .

Thankyou I felt like I was being ganged up on here as there was somebody else who had an answer like mine but mine seemed to draw more attention .I appreciate your kindness

Inglis

• 2 weeks later...

Actually at the time of Natalie Wood's death, there was new hope for her career. The buzz was that her work on Brainstorm was the best she'd done in a while and she was optimistic about what lay before her. I think you're right: she had many good movies ahead that was tragically cut short by her death.

Thelma Ritter - she would be everyone's sensible, caustic, mother/assistant/neighbor.

Here's a related question: In light of the complaints about the lack of good, appropriate roles that our age 40+ actresses make today, if the actresses mentioned in this thread who played independent, career-minded women in the 30s and 40s were around today, would there be decent roles for them?

It would be interesting to see (and hear) what Judy Garland would be doing in 2006.

Would her career now resemble Streisand's (a concert every so often, an occasional supporting role in a major film? Would she have guested on "Will & Grace"?)

Speaking of Miss Judy, just in time to honor her 84th birthday (on June 10th), the Savoy Jazz label is about to release a magnificent compact disc titled "Great Day: Rare Recordings From The Judy Garland Show." If you're a fan, this is one indispensable collection with Garland providing knock out renditions of Steve Allen's "This Could Be The Start Of Something," "A Lot of Livin' To Do," Cole Porter's "I Love You" and what might be the definitive, most poignant and haunting rendition of "Poor Butterfly" I've ever heard. For a performer who was supposedly at the end of her rope during this period, her instrument is flawless and she's totally commanding and vibrant on every number. Definitely pick up a copy or two the moment this one is released!

• 3 months later...

A fascinating question!

I'd vote for IRENE DUNNE and AGNES MOOREHEAD.

However, it remains to be seen if these ladies would be interested in the garbage that Hollywood is making these days. These classy actresses valued their craft and wouldn't waste it on what Hollywood considers "box office" these days.