Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not the best 50's sci-fi but...

LarryDarrow52

I still liked them.

Maybe someone can help me...

there was one where some people lived underground and there were...like...caveman mutants who lived above ground and would attack them when they came out. It was either in the future on earth or some spacemen crashed on another planet and found this situation. Sorry for being so vague.

All I really remember was these cave people (they may have had more or less eyes than normal humans) coming from atop the hills to attack. There may have even been one scene where their leader fights one of the stars one on one in a kind of duel. The other people looked normal and lived in underground structures. They may have even been dying out. I don't know. It was pretty bad (low budget affair) but I remember liking it anyway.

I'm babbling now. Anyone remember this at all?

Message was edited by:

LarryDarrow52

Man, ya gotta love the internet.

I just discovered these TCM boards and a number of long unanswered questions have been satisfied in just a few days.

Many thanks Shiloh.

I think you're right. World Without End. That sounds like it.

Next question - is it on DVD or tape somewhere?

This would be a great week-end theme for TCM to do. 1950's sci-fi.

That and a Andy Hardy festival week-end and I'm lovin' life.

Yea, you're right, I'm a cornball.

Glad to have made your day...Well the good news is if you look on Amazon.com you will find your movie at least on VHS..However it is very expensive and that's the bad news.

I have been trading movies with people for just this reason...Currently I'm looking for The Legend of Lizzy Borden (the European version)..Happen to have a copy around by any chance?? HA!!!

Nice talking with you!

Well, I don't think that "World Without End" is all that bad. I've seen it several times over the years and it's quite entertaining. It's a step up from a lot of the sci-fi films of the 50's. After all, it was in color and had a better-than-average cast. I think the male star was Hugh Beaumont (not sure of that) and the female star was the beautiful Nancy Gates, a favorite of mine.

Terrence.

Hi Terrence,

'Twas Hugh Marlowe (not "Beaver"'s father, Hugh Beaumont)... Rod Taylor provides some beefcake too (before he was attacked by The Birds). The movie's selling point at the time was that it was in CinemaScope.

Enjoy!

I'm glad to hear that you liked it so much. Maybe it was better than I remembered it. The sets and make-up I remember to be rather amateurish (low budget), but I could be wrong. I would still enjoy seeing it again.

Apparently there's an 'under the radar' network of movie traders. Unfortunately, I have no library. I'm at the mercy of TV programming right now. Perhaps someday, I'll be able to build up a collection, but not in the near future.

Here is another oldie I haven't seen since childhood -

Half Human - I think it was a Japanese made version of the Yeti myth. I did discover that it was once available on VHS, by a direct mail 'oldies' firm. Anyone remember this one?

Thanks for setting me straight on the two Hughs, Jack. That's an easy mistake for me to make, since I'm fond of both of these actors. And it certainly doesn't hurt that both are mighty easy on the eyes!

Terrence.

• 1 month later...

I?ve never seen this movie in CinemaScope, but I?d sure love to. There?s one scene in a big meeting room that shows a bevy of babes lined up along one wall -- but in ?fullscreen? we only get to see about three of them!

In addition to the lovely Nancy Gates, we?re also treated to the charms of Miss Shawn Smith. Shawn is an amazing actress because she looks so different in each of her movies. She was brunette, business-like, and dressed in a very unsexy jumpsuit in It! The Terror from Beyond Space. She was blonde, business-like, and dressed in a shirt-and-pants set that slowly deteriorated in the harsh environment of The Land Unknown.

But the best scenes in World Without End happen when the good guys go after the mutants with a bazooka! When my buddies and I watched that scene a few years ago, we ended up cheerin? and hootin? like jocks at a football game.

And by the time Huge Marlow squares off for a one-on-one knife fight with the mutant leader named Noga (and whips his nogahide, yes sir!), the audience is a real good mood.

Bruce

Archived