Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Am I alone?

I'm 23 and I until about 3 years ago I didn't really have any friends that were interested in classic films. I would have all these thoughts and opinions about movies, stars, directors, etc, but no one really to share them with so I would keep them to myself until I got on the phone with someone like my Grandmother and just talk her ear of for a while. Now though, I have been lucky enough to find friends already interested in film and some who became more interested by watching movies with me. If you look hard enough you'll find people your age interested in the classics (well, it took me until my second or third year of college. You might have a hard time for a while). I do have to say that there is one thing I miss about being the only one of my friends who liked classic films, it was sort of that unique something that was just mine. Sort of like when you find a new band or something that no one else knows about.

*Sort of like when you find a new band or something that no one else knows about*

I agree, allycat 1920 and with the rest of the posters here. While most people have seen the better known classic movies (your Casablancas and Gone With the Winds), the rest are seen as boring and dull. They're black and white! There's no CGI effects or action or nudity! And now I sound like an old lady, but it's true. Although it always makes me laugh when a character exclaims something like, "Aw, shucks!" or "Golly!" It's so old fashioned and sweet.

That's precisely why I love the classics so much. There's character development, plots, good dialogue--the list goes on and on. In a way I like being the only one of my friends so deeply in love with classic movies--it makes me feel a little more special and well-rounded. Although it's really hard to sit around and tell them why I think someone like Edward G. Robinson is such a great actor, why Olivia de Havilland was fantastic in 'The Heiress' or why I'll watch anything with Joseph Cotten in it! They just don't care! A shame, really. They're the ones missing out.

Congrats to all you young people. Yea, you're weirdos. But now you've found out you're not alone.

Don't worry though. We all are.

I'm an oldie now (52), but I remember watching these old B&W 1940's movies even as a 5 or 6 year old. They came on in the mornings when I was growing up and they were old then. Something just fascinated me about them.

I actually remember watching Cat People and being totally absorbed in it.

Having an interest in these flicks will actually give you a different insight into life, I believe- or maybe a special escape from it. Whatever.

For ME, it's an ESCAPE ... back to another time ... a time when life was simple (in retrospect). Perhaps, things may have been more complex for them in that day and age, but looking back, it was simple!

It was a time when families gathered together around the dinner table ... AS A FAMILY ... and talked ... and listened ... and communicated ... and shared ... and laughed ... and cried ... and loved!!!! You cannot share feelings and emotions with an XBox or a Gameboy! And watching these old movies is as close to travelling through a time warp as anyone can get -- back to those days!!! Back to Saturdays matinees. Back to Sunday dinners at Grandma's house!!!! :-)

Larry

http://lwsroute66.proboards57.com/

I agree 66cafe.

Yet the irony here is we're doing the same thing as the xbox and gameboy folks are. We're living through an electronic medium, not with each other. In our opinion, it is better content perhaps, but we're connecting with a non-human entity all the same.

Surely, family interaction has changed greatly over the years for most generations, and I'd agree it's generally not been for the better.

It appears we are all to blame.

I'm 44 and I've been watching old movies for awhile now, I love the classics, more than the movies that comes out now,(but i still go to the movies at least once a week). Most of my friends dont watch the old one, they dont even know who Edward G. Robinson is (what a shame since hes my favorite actor of all time). But if they dont like the good old classics, fine, its thier loss, Im not going to try to get them to like them, they dont know what they are missing, i guess big time special effects is good enough for them.

I know what you mean! I'm 26 and none of my friends like to watch the classics with me. I like them a whole lot better than most of the stuff that comes out these days. The films were just so light-hearted and fun. And it's nice to look back to when times were better, when families were still families and all that. I always get so excited to watch a "new" classic movie or to rewatch an old favorite. Wish I had friends to watch them with...lol!

I'm an oldie now (52), but I remember watching these old B&W 1940's movies even as a 5 or 6 year old. They came on in the mornings when I was growing up and they were old then. Something just fascinated me about them.

I'm 52, but am not the least bit old.

What's the matter with you?

They're black and white! There's no CGI effects or action or nudity!

I find it amazing that this kind of thing gets posted here, of all places. Yes, there's no CGI effects, but there's color going back to the early 20s (before that if you want to count hand tinting), plenty of action (watch The Public Enemy or Scarface, nearly any of Douglas Fairbanks's swashbucklers, the silent Ben Hur, or D.W. Griffith's epics), and plenty of nudity as well in the silent and pre-code films.

You know, it's really tragic that intelligent, bright young people like yourselves have to hide your appreciation for such great old movies, but understandable because you want to fit in with the "herd." In the end, I wish you all the courage to stand up and be yourselves. I've had similar experiences with my in-laws who are pretty much brain-dead when it comes to movies (or anything else for that matter). One of their favorite movies is A Night At The Roxbury - - need I say more? And they seriously don't get the joke of the Abbott and Costello "Who's On First" comedy bit (I'm not kidding). Any discussion of old movies begins and ends with "how can you like something that isn't even in color?!"

Gawd! give me strength!!!!

Message was edited by:

CaptAmerica

Well, my kids are 23 and 19. They both love the classics. Better still, when we have screenings they invite their friends (we run everything in 16mm on a 13 ft. screen) who also get a real charge out of the older films. Some of them like the glamour; some of them like the scripts; but none of them have turned their noses up at black & white. So take heart...there's hope. Wait..I just saw a trailer for a new Adam Sandler movie. THERE'S NO HOPE! WE'RE DOOMED! WE'RE DOOMED!!!

I'm 34 and I've been a true devotee of the classics since I was in high school. It's still hard to find people my age who like the classics and a lot of times it means my wife watching TV in the bedroom while I'm watching TCM in the living room.

Sometimes I think it would be fun to have a series of "local events" where classic movie fans could get together and talk about old movies, etc. For all I know they probably exist, I just don't know about them!

By the way, this is my first post here (just been lurking for a while).

Mike

Mike:

This may be the closest thing you have to talk with people about movies. The good part is that it is always here, always open. You get people from all over the world. We have one from Laos or Thailand. Several are from Canada. One new young lady from Ireland. We are spread around pretty well. The group is well informed and usually nice even when we disagree. (There are exceptions, though.)

It seems the chances on catching old movies at theaters are slim. Some colleges and towns with lots of theaters sometimes will show them but not too often.

Welcome. Jump in the water's fine.

Chris

Message was edited by:

Me

My theory is that an appreciation for films of the past (esp. of the studio era) will always be there--much as there are still enough people to make it worthwhile to produce new recordings of the music of Mozart and Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, or go see dancers up on their toes a la the early 17th century.

And very often they are the same people who love whatever or whoever is hot in pop culture at the moment!

Ayres, I agree with you completely. Like I said in my first post I have a good group of friends now that like classic movies, I just had to find them. If there weren't enough people interested in classic films they wouldn't be coming out on DVD all the time.

I also think that for a lot of people its not so much that they wouldn't like these films but that the have pre-conceived ideas about them and/or don't know about them. For many people, its how they are introduced to classic films. I remember not liking the first old movie I saw when I was young, and I might have assumed I didn't like any of them if Rebecca and All About Eve hadn't come around at the right time (I don't remember what movie it was I didn't like, and probably now after watching enough classic movies I would like it more anyway). When people who are interested in classic films but haven't seen any yet ask me about them (I am known as he movie nut among my friends so it happens quite often) I usually start them off with Hitchcock or Howard Hawks, and then if they like that I tell them about other films once their assumptions that all classic films are the same are gone.

Thanks for the invite movieman.

I think it's great when a 16 year old in this day and age can watch a movie from the 20's, 30's and 50's and still appreciate it and the fact that they are still around to appreciate! I was watching the Rudolph Valentino series on Sunday night and in one of the commentaries for one of the films (can't remember which one off the top of my head), Robert Osborn gave a heads up that part of the film was going to be in still pictures, but not to give up on the movie because of that, but be happy that it's still there at all. I did and I actually really enjoyed that movie because of the still pictures, which left more to the imagination.

I was never that much into the silent films (I admit it) but that remark gave me a whole new lease on the oldies and that the more people there are who watch them the longer they'll be around.

Mike

That was the same reason I joined these boards. To talk about something I love like Classic films. I've seen many people come and go. but if you love classics like all of us here do. This is the place to be. So you're NOT alone...

vallo

I am about to turn 14!!!!!!!! I recently posted a thread asking the same thing so no you're not alone!!!!! I love old films and I thing it's great that they can still have an effect on the younger generation, like us, and people will come to realise that we were right all along!!!! I just made my best friend watch Gone With The Wind and she loved it!!! My friends hate when I talk about my films so I keep it to a minimum and then I come on here and talk with people who understand!!!

i'm 18 and i've been a classic movie fan for about 17 years :0) it's great to be raised with the great movies of the B&W days! anyone who's still in high school/college..i'd advise you to start a classic movie club! I started one at my high school last year and people loved it!!

-rose

> I'm an oldie now (52), but I remember watching

> these old B&W 1940's movies even as a 5 or 6 year

> old. They came on in the mornings when I was growing

> up and they were old then. Something just fascinated

> me about them.

>

> I'm 52, but am not the least bit old.

>

> What's the matter with you?

Alas and alack, CineSage jr...I agree, but the 14 and 18 yr olds here certainly will not. We are the older generation - like it or not. And it bothers me not in the least. Each age has something wonderful to offer. I have wisdom now, I would have died for then.

Archived