Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

February Birthday Choices If Not 31 Days of Oscar Programming

GregoryPeckfan

Hello, this is my first official post to begin a new thread instead of answering one that already exists.

I have a February birthday and I noticed a post about people in their 90's who have birthdays this month.  One of my favourite actors of all time is Clark Gable, born on Feb.1st who with the 31 Days of Oscar schedule never has a birthday tribute.

My question is this;

If you were in charge of programming on TCM and were to have a birthday tribute during the daytime every day in February, which actors and actresses would you choose to honour?

• Like 4

I would definitely honour Ann Sheridan. Last February would have been her 100th birthday. TCM tried to make up for it a few months later by doing a primetime spotlight, then during the Summer of Darkness noir series they showed WOMAN ON THE RUN. It was nice but she still should have had a regular birthday tribute. Her day is February 21st.

11aa5d20537775d678b687ef1598d941.jpg

It's not fair that February birthdays are overlooked for many great stars every year on TCM. An adequate compromise would be to limit 31 Days of Oscar to primetime and free up the morning slots for birthdays and black history month.

• Like 3

May I wish you a most Happy Birthday, GPF in advance!

Now I could pick a big star as done by TopBilled, since anyone as great as the Oomph Girl definitely deserves to be honored, but going in the other direction I would pick, drumroll please.

Kathleen Freeman!

Sure she was a character actress but of the extraordinaire kind and she was everywhere, both in tv and movies.

She lent her comic talents to big films like "The Seven Year Itch" even though this was her billing:

The Seven Year Itch 
Woman at Vegetarian Restaurant (uncredited)

She was also a favorite of Jerry Lewis in his films, but was in many others and I would honor her since she is never honored. Put all her films on the day of February 17 and you will have a fun day I can assure you.

• Like 2

I never thought about it but after reading the posts in this thread I realized that all the stars who had February birthdays don't receive a birthday tribute because of 31 Days Of Oscar. What a shame!

I agree with several of the posters that TCM's 31 Days Of Oscar is getting old and tired. If they want to continue let them put the Oscar movies in prime time during the month and leave the daytime hours for regular film programming, tribute, dedications, etc.

• Like 5

I would definitely honour Ann Sheridan. Last February would have been her 100th birthday. TCM tried to make up for it a few months later by doing a primetime spotlight, then during the Summer of Darkness noir series they showed WOMAN ON THE RUN. It was nice but she still should have had a regular birthday tribute. Her day is February 21st.

It's not fair that February birthdays are overlooked for many great stars every year on TCM. An adequate compromise would be to limit 31 Days of Oscar to primetime and free up the morning slots for birthdays and black history month.

Good idea to have February birthday tributes of at least 3 or 4 films on that actor's birthday.   Of course with some actors like Gable one could combine Oscar nominated and winning films with the star's birthday,  but in others cases there might not be many films.

With Sheridan TCM could have scheduled Kings Row and Angel with Dirty Faces but I'm not sure she in any other nominated films (Dodge City perhaps?).  

• Like 1

Now I could pick a big star as done by TopBilled, since anyone as great as the Oomph Girl definitely deserves to be honored, but going in the other direction I would pick, drumroll please.

Kathleen Freeman!

I believe Annie Was a Wonder was Oscar-nominated.

The Magnetic Monster, however, was not, so TCM couldn't show that on her birthday. :)

• Like 1

With Sheridan TCM could have scheduled Kings Row and Angel with Dirty Faces but I'm not sure she in any other nominated films (Dodge City perhaps?).  

DODGE CITY earned no Oscar nominations.

These Ann Sheridan films did-- THE CRUSADES, for cinematography (she has a bit part); BLACK LEGION, for screenplay (she's fourth-billed); THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS, for best song (she has a cameo); and GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE, for art direction (she's the female lead).

• Like 1

I think your suggestion of limiting 31 Days of Oscar to primetime is an excellent idea. I was glued to Movies! today before work.

• Like 3

Joan Bennett. The problem with a potential SOTM for her is that she made films for a variety of studios, so gathering the rights to them at the same time presents a problem. It wouldn't be as difficult to do a birthday tribute some February, however.

• Like 4

Joan Bennett. The problem with a potential SOTM for her is that she made films for a variety of studios, so gathering the rights to them at the same time presents a problem. It wouldn't be as difficult to do a birthday tribute some February, however.

Gathering rights is always a problem, especially here in Canada.  But I believe TCM has the rights to enough of Joan's movies to do a birthday tribute-even if a movie has to be a cameo like when she played herself in a panel in It Can Happen to You. 

Last month's SOTM Fred MacMurray is a great example of how there is a lot of leeway in how to divvy up each week's installment for SOTM when the actor or actress has a huge number of movie titles available.

• Like 2

I never thought about it but after reading the posts in this thread I realized that all the stars who had February birthdays don't receive a birthday tribute because of 31 Days Of Oscar. What a shame!

I agree with several of the posters that TCM's 31 Days Of Oscar is getting old and tired. If they want to continue let them put the Oscar movies in prime time during the month and leave the daytime hours for regular film programming, tribute, dedications, etc.

Well I imagine it is to us long-time viewers but you are able to see the management's impetus is to court a younger viewing audience (who else would succumb to a Wine Club theme of movies) and that leaves us old timer's out of luck.  As someone who could watch many classics over and over (CASABLANCA) for example I am certain there are others who won't or wouldn't even fathom why they should care.  I am afraid I am one of a disappearing class of movie fans.

Well I imagine it is to us long-time viewers but you are able to see the management's impetus is to court a younger viewing audience (who else would succumb to a Wine Club theme of movies) and that leaves us old timer's out of luck.  As someone who could watch many classics over and over (CASABLANCA) for example I am certain there are others who won't or wouldn't even fathom why they should care.  I am afraid I am one of a disappearing class of movie fans.

Do you honestly believe TCM doesn't care about a certain segment of its viewing audience? I am not sure if TCM operates that way. I think they are trying court all demographic groups.

• Like 1

I guess this is one of times when I can say that it is better here in Canada in terms of era of movies on particular channels.  Up here we have a channel called Silver Screen Classics which doesn't show any movie past 1969.  The reason is that its parent company also owns a channel called Rewind, which bills itself  as "for our generation" which shows movies from the 70's, 80's, and 90s.  So it continues to show very old movies.  Similar to TCM showing shorts, SSC airs a lot of non-feature film length titles between movies from The National Film Board of Canada and even on purpose shows a lot of them one after another several times each day under the title "True North Classics." 

There is an intermission in the middle of the movie about two minutes or so. 

It also airs Radio Classics, where radio performances air with stills of the actors talking.

It is a fascinating channel.

Unlike TCM, we do not get restored versions of movies, though.  If the copy of a film they have is wearing out, that copy remains.

Late actors who have a birthday today - February 5th - who would have had interesting birthday tributes are Tim Holt and John Carradine.

Current and prolific British actor Tom Wilkenson also has a birthday today.

I'm definitely a Tim Holt fan (so is my dad). Would love to see a western-themed tribute for him.

• Like 1

FEEBRUARY 6th BIRTHDAYS

Rip Torn and Zsa Zsa Gabor

Rip Torn is still acting I believe.

Happy birthday to you both.

Today was also the birthday of President Ronald Reagan

I'm glad you have been mentioning these. Good job. Hope you keep on doing it all month long.

• Like 1