Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Vampire films w/o Dracula!

I finally got a chance to see Romero's Martin (1977) and thought it was pretty good.  The actresses in the film were all good and the staking scene was one of the better ones that I have seen.

That's one that grew on me over the years. The low budget cheapness makes it tough to like at first, but I really came to appreciate the unique take. The transition between the real world and Martin's memories/fantasies, and the ambiguity of whether or not he really was a vampire, were nice touches.

• Like 1

As there were no Republican debates to entertain me this evening I watched Interview With the Vampire (1944).  I had forgotten how camp it is.  Not very good.

Wow, there was a 1944 version? Did Errol Flynn play Lestat opposite Tyrone Power as Louis?

• Like 1

All kidding aside, I had Interview  on my initial list (though very low) but I was sorely disappointed when it was released. I had read the first 3 books in the series, and was looking forward to the film, despite my misgivings about Cruise as Lestat. I thought Kirsten Dunst was good as Claudia, but Brad Pitt was all wrong for Louis, and Cruise wasn't much better. I left the theater hating it, and only watched it again after some years had passed. I didn't dislike it as much, but it's still far FAR from what it should have been.

And I've also noticed that quite a few A-list films from the 90's are not aging very well.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
On 2/9/2016 at 3:55 PM, Bogie56 said:

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (2012) was quite good.  I wonder if they will be teaching this in American History in 100 years?

😂😎👊👍👍👍👍👍

Honestly.. ... i Dig That Film As Well..

_

Have You Seen Timor's Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters ? .???

Thats Ah Nother one of my.. What (the FUDGE) Did i Just Sit Thru, + i LOVED This 👍👍👍👍 Features..

Same Vibe, As Abe; Just More (Red Light District) Humour..

Here Are Mine..

(No Particular Order

. ... ..

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter

the Lure

Let Me In

Let the Right One In

It Stains the Sands Red (*are Zombies (in any way) related to vampires .?...

*if so. Then Snyder,s Dawn ofthe Dead.

Mayhem (😎

Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Hnsl & Grtl: Witch Hunters

One of my favorites that has not been mentioned is BLACULA (1972). It has some non-PC moments that aren't aging well, but overall I find it creative, compelling and scary! William Marshall brings a sympathetic side to his character that to me evokes the legacy of the classic Universal monsters. He is tragically cursed, like Larry Talbot, and like Kharis wanders a new world searching for his lost love. Marshall's physicality reminds me of Alucard and the Christopher Lee Dracula.

blob.png.d45b9ac4c48002b497a691f9f14f040b.png

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2016 at 9:48 AM, Swithin said:

I get irritated when the old rules change. For example, although I really liked Let the Right One In, I didn't like the new rule about the vampire needing to be invited in. I later saw the stage version of the film (great, though kinkier); and read some of the source material.  A friend recently told me about another fairly contemporary vampire movie about vampires living an urban life and going to clubs, but that they needed to be invited in.

From whence does this new (to me) need for an invitation arise, as if the vampires have become Uncle Elliott (Clifton Webb) in The Razor's Edge, longing for an invitation from the Princess Novemalli?

Count Dracula never needed an invitation!

Five Years Later

Actually, Count Dracula did need an invitation!

Quoth Professor Abraham Van Helsing in Dracula written by Bram Stoker:

"He may not enter anywhere at the first, unless there be some one of the household who bid him to come, though afterwards he can come as he please."

Furthermore, the rule about vampires requiring an invitation to enter a dwelling was not new.

Why do Vampires Have to Be Invited In?

28 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Five Years Later

Actually, Count Dracula did need an invitation!

Quoth Professor Abraham Van Helsing in Dracula written by Bram Stoker:

"He may not enter anywhere at the first, unless there be some one of the household who bid him to come, though afterwards he can come as he please."

Furthermore, the rule about vampires requiring an invitation to enter a dwelling was not new.

Why do Vampires Have to Be Invited In?

Well I hope the vampires don't have to wait five years to be invited in!