Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Original Eliza Doolittle

JackBurley

I wonder if anyone is watching the Norma Shearer vehicle Riptide which is being aired as I type this. It features a marvelous cast including Herbert Marshall and Robert Montgomery; and in small roles Arthur Treacher, Walter Brennan, and so many more. But most interestingly (to me) is that "Aunt Hetty" is played by Mrs. Patrick Campbell! This is the woman for whom George Bernard Shaw wrote the play Pygmalion (which, of course, is the basis for the musical My Fair Lady). Born in 1865, she played the part of Eliza Doolittle in 1914. What a wonderful view into history!

From a little research I have since discovered that Mrs. Patrick Campbell worked as a voice/dialogue coach in Hollywood. Throughtout this film I was haunted by her voice, as it reminded me distinctly of another actress. Half-way through the movie I realized it was Laura Hope Crews. Now I'm wondering if Miss Crews was coached by Mrs. Campbell. Anyone know?

Jack, that is cool! I'm always interested in seeing stage actors on film--I work in the theatre. I have a fabulous book at home called A Pictorial History of the American Theatre that begins with photos from the late 19th century and goes up to the 1970's. It's a fantastic resource and I love finding old headshots of my favorite movie stars that began on the stage.

Sandy K

Hello Jack,

This may very well be true. I have heard that Laura Hope Crews coached and gave diction lessons to many MGM actors and actresses. So, she in turn could have taken lessons from Mrs. Patrick Campbell.

You're one up on me -- I have never seen Mrs. Patrick Campbell in a movie nor even a picture of her. In fact, I thought she died around WWI.

What you don't learn on these message boards!!

Larry