Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Take Two will provide young actors a chance to act out famous scenes from classic films (Wilmer Valderrama takes on The Lost Weekend in the pilot)

OK. I'll take the bait and offer up some not-too-serious suggestions for future episodes of Take Two -

Paris Hilton and Topher Grace in My Man Godfrey

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes in Gaslight

(or maybe Rosemary's Baby)

Sean Hayes and Debra Messing in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

Jennifer Aniston, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt in Jezebel

Melanie Griffith in a late scene from Mr Skeffington

and

Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore in Tea And Sympathy

(I thought suggesting Sunset Blvd. was just too cruel.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Ok, but what about all the young actors and actresses that really CAN act and would shine in some of the old roles like Natalie Portman, Emmy Rossum, Keira Knightley, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johannsen, Orlando Bloom, Joaquin Phoenix to name a few?

While we're waiting for the new ac-tors to shine like a Brillo pad and put the old geezers to shame, let's not forget:

Ain't we lucky we got 'em.........

Good Times!

is being shown again on the 11th of June at noon. So mark your calendars and set your clocks or watches or PDAs or whatever it is that yoots set today.

I just noticed this classic movie was directed by William Friedkin. Poor guy, no wonder he denigrated into pea soup and swivelling heads.

Oh the humanity.

• 3 weeks later...

<< The M in MTV once meant music, but I dare you to turn that channel on a find a music video. I'm hoping that in two years we won't be channel surfing past TCM and wonder where the C in TCM went!! >> My thoughts exactly Chipper.

In addition to the non-classics and newer programming coming in, another effort to 'spice' up the channel is the washing over the black and white clips with faded 'coloring'. A slight change, but yet....colorization?? I know it is to make it 'edgier' and more hip, but I'm beginning to cringe more times than not, when I watch the promos -- starting around this past November or December, up to the present with the Leading Ladies and Edge of Outside. Edge I can understand a bit more of its 'darkness', yet the clips seem to emphasize the violence and madness. But the Leading Ladies. Pure sex and graphic images intermingled with 'innocence'. To have montaged dialogue from the actual scenes of these distinguished women would have been enough to draw the eye to their talents, yet TCM goes for pure sex to lasso the crowds. That's a dangerous precedent, imho. It may be 'artsy', but to keep up this pace, TCM will eventually lose faithful viewers -- or rather, be sequestered into time slots, scattered here and there. Too sad.

Years ago, I glazed over AMC's 'original programming' including the 'old radio' show starring Bob Dorian. I tried time and time again, to get interested, but it left me cold. They were getting desperate to find new viewers -- today it is TCM. I know the name of the game is money and ratings, and TCM will do what they gotta do to stay alive in this dog-eat-dog business. I'm not a fan of Rob Zombie, or his music, and seriously doubt I'd enjoy watching one minute of this new show, thinking that the time slot should have been filled with a true 'classic' film.

Oh, speaking of 'classics'.....I simply can't wait to see "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter".

Pardon me while I go cry in my sepia beer.

All that being said, there is still much to crow about what's on TCM, and the website is pure genius. And, through all my rants re: changes in programming, I'll be here no matter what. If my viewing is whittled down to two hours a day, then I'll take those two hours...but I'll mourn for the days of yore.

(At the bottom of this thread, it is showing four pages of replies, yet, when I click on every page, I get the same comments, top and bottom. Freaky. I wish I could read the whole dern thing!)

Please, please TCM don't go the route of TVLand - their "original programming",

lame self-promotion and reality/ game shows are unbearable.

Maybe this is the end of TCM's "golden age".

I mean everything Time Warner touches turns to mud.

Maybe they can work their magic here too.

At the bottom of this thread, it is showing four

> pages of replies, yet, when I click on every page, I

> get the same comments, top and bottom. Freaky. I

> wish I could read the whole dern thing!)

Stargzn, the same thing is happening to me, but then I realized that on My Control Panel, I have it set to show 50 replies on a page, so I am actually seeing all the replies on a thread. I believe that the number of pages is calculated on 10 replies per page. I could be wrong, but that seems to be what is happening. Go into My Control Panel and check how many replies per page you have set.

Sandy K

I'm 42 and I absolutely adore classic movies.

In response to this show everyone is talking about, I figure,why have the imitation if you can have the real thing, plain and simple. the market is saturated with one dumb reality show after another. GIVE US A BREAK!!!!!!!

> In addition to the non-classics and newer programming

> coming in, another effort to 'spice' up the channel

> is the washing over the black and white clips with

> faded 'coloring'. A slight change, but

> yet....colorization??

Wait a minute, I've never seen that on TCM or anywhere. Which films have they done that with? Or are you talking about silent films that have been tinted? (blue for night, etc) If so that was something that was done back in the twenties, it's not something TCM is doing.

My favorite part of this thread was this statement by tcmprogrammer:

> We're in the process of negotiating for a whole lot of older movies to be on this

> channel for many years to come.

I don't visit this forum as often as I should, so for me that's wonderful news. Please let it be so.

twangman9312 -

I, too, made a mental note of that statement by tcmprogrammr and have been waiting for an announcement of some kind to let us in on the new acquisitions. I haven't found an announcement yet BUT, as someone has noted in a different thread, there have been many Hal Roach Studios shorts showing up between films lately and they are definitely new items for TCM. If the Hal Roach library is the new acquisition, it would kinda make sense that the shorts would show up first as they don't have to programmed four months in advance. They could be shown as soon as the rights were acquired.

If it isn't the Roach films, I am not sure what other libraries TCM may be pursuing to show for an extended basis. I hear others say that there are many early Universal films to which they would like TCM to get the rights. I guess we'll just have to be patient.

Kyle In Hollywood

We did license (almost the entire) Hal Roach library for a 40 year deal (it was done last year) and are in the process of receiving many of the films to play on the network (we've already played some of them). We recently did a deal with Paramount and there are others that we're negotiating which I can't really comment on. We just licensed a few never-before-on-television silent films from Film Preservations Associates (a small company that restores silent films), we did a deal with Janus/Criterion films for many foreign-language classics. There will be several Universal titles (which include early Paramount) that will be appearing on our schedule for the first time (this year's Summer Under the Stars has many premieres from them). The day-to-day job of the programming department includes planning our film inventory years into the future, and - as I keep saying - we're still buying the same volume of older classics several years in advance (which is the way most of the licesning agreements work).

TCMprogramer, that sounds good and I thank you.

I can't wait for Summer Under the Stars for those Universal and Paramount premiers.

Plus Foreign Films and early silents (something for everyone).

And a 40 year deal with the Hal Roach library! By that time the nay-says should be blue in the face.

I hope you snagged the Hal Roach films "One Million B.C." and the delightful comedy "Turnabout" with Carole Landis.

Keep up the good work. TCM is indeed movie heaven.

both "Turnabout" and "One Million B.C." are scheduled to play in September (we're doing a day of the Hal Roach films)

also, didn't you once request "Angel in My Pocket" ? that's also in September

> ?For example, if I was producing Idols, I would put

> Lauren Bacall or Richard Widmark or Anne Francis

> together with a group of young film fans and let them

> ask each other questions in a round-table format.?

>

> Hmm... I think a lot of kids in the audience would

> see Becall and Francis as old hags now, and Widmark

> as an old coot. (I am speaking as an old coot

> myself.) These people didn?t star in films looking

> like they do now.

>

> We didn?t grow to love these folks in films because

> they were old hags and old coots. Becall was only 20

> years old in ?To Have and Have Not?. She was 22 in

> ?The Big Sleep?, 23 in ?Dark Passage?, and only 24 in

> ?Key Largo?. This is what should be played up. Get

> some 20 year old film and drama school girls to sit

> around and talk about her in these films. And let

> them talk on-air for only a few minutes at a time,

> not for an hour.

>

> Richard Widmark was only 33 when he made ?Kiss of

> Death? and 34 when he made ?The Street With No Name?.

> Orson Welles was only 26 when he wrote, directed, and

> starred in ?Citizen Kane.? Jane Wyatt was only 26

> when she starred in ?Lost Horizon?. Lana Turner was

> only 16 when she was in ?They Won?t Forget,? and Joan

> Crawford was 24 in ?Our Dancing Daughters.? Vivian

> Leigh was only 26 when she played Scarlett O?Hara.

> Fay Wray was 26 in ?King Kong?. Clara Bow was 22 when

> she filmed ?It.? Bow started in films at 16 and

> retired at 28. Jean Harlow was 19 in ?Hell?s Angels.?

> The entire film starred mostly college-age kids.

>

> I would play up the ages of the actors when they were

> most famous or made their earliest movies, then ask

> young people what they think about how young the

> actors were when they became famous.

Hello.=) I just joined and had to get in on this discussion. I am 27 years old and I have been watching TCM for years now because it is the only channel with no commercials and where I can enjoy true classic films. My parents and my older sister got me started watching old movies, and to them I am forever grateful. But I don't think I am one of the few of my age group who actually watches old movies. You'd be surprised at how many young people do watch TCM and actually watch classic movies. I think anybody, regardless of age, will come around to watching old movies, IF they really want to. Of course, there are those who need a little "push" in order for them to see what they are missing. But I hardly think that getting younger actors to act out some of the best scenes in classic movies is the way to go.

I know I am entering into this discussion pretty late, so if I am not understanding something, please let me know.

BTW, I really love the idea that Fred had of getting young people together and talking about different kinds of classic movies and how they relate to them, as well as getting people like Becall, Francis, directors, writers, etc to talk to young fans/ young actors about classic films. I know I would love to watch that and would even love to be able to participate in such discussions.

tcmprogrammr -

Thanks for the response and for filling us all in on what new film / library acquisitions will be on TCM this summer and in the near future. From the details you have provided, I know you have made quite a few people around here happy and given all of us a better understanding of the workings of the programming department at TCM. I was surprised to read that one can make a deal for a collection of films that lasts 40 years! (Guess there is no such thing as free agency when it comes to broadcast rights for film collections.) And what great acquisitions they are. Congratulations!

I truly appreciate your taking the time to keep us informed and allowing some of your viewers a glimpse behind the curtain that is TCM. From what you have written here and in other areas, it seems TCM is NOT interested in dumbing down or selling out its core audience - contrary to what others want to believe.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"? Not in your case. I say, "Attention must be paid."

Kyle In Hollywood

The move to show more "current" films is insiduously underway. I have the past four month's schedules (June, July, August and September) printed and each month the "modern" movie count keeps edging updward. There are roughly 350-360 movies shown each month on TCM (give or take a few that are repeated twice). Of those movies, June had roughly 72 movies from 1960 thru present. July had roughly 75 from 1960 thru present. August had roughly 78 from 1960-present. I have just counted Sept. and there are 81 movies from 1960 thru the present ("Spaceballs," "Awakenings" and "A Few Good Men" for crying out loud). The count of movies from 1955-1960 is also increasing each month with 50 movies being shown from that time frame. That still leaves over half the schedule for movies from the era that most of us love 20s thru mid fifties, however, this doesn't take into consideration the increased amount of documentaries, cartoons the 10,000th showing of "Citizen Kane" or "The Philadelphia Story" that takes up that 1/2 of the schedule still left. My only bright spot left for TCM is that they are now beginning to show some Paramount features from my favorite era that I have never seen. I used to print the schedule and wear my yellow hi-lighter marker out with the movies that I wanted to watch and record but with the "Modern" change underfoot, my marker is getting a long needed rest!!!

Chipper:

I don't see where movies made from 1955 through the mid 60s is out of TCM's scope. That's still a period when a lot of the actors we like to watch were still making movies. I don't think you throw out a movie from 1969 just because it's from 1969.

I agree that some of the newer movies have been played to death on other channels and don't really need to be here. Some others don't seem to fit TCM style, like the much reviled "Good Times" and the puzzling "Space Balls", but I'll take the occasional documentary or Cavett show if it will help my knowledge for movies.

As you say, there is still much that make this channel worth watching. Maybe a little of the newer films will help broaden the audience they need and thus broaden the fans of the classics of the period you mentioned.

So, roughly 20% of the films being shown on TCM (June-September, 2006) were released since 1960, meaning that approximately 80% of the programming on the channel consists of films which are at least 45 years old. I can live with that, can you? Additionally, since you made specific reference to films in the 45-50 year old range, I'm guessing your definition of the word classic is related to the age of a film and that 50 years is your 'line' (btw, mine is about 20-25 years to the right of yours ... but I struggle with films from the 1980's because it would mean including movies I saw when I was in college and I hate to admit that it was 25 years ago;-)

My definition of classic adds quality to the mix. I'd much rather see Lawrence of Arabia, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Longest Day, The Manchurian Candidate, The Miracle Worker, even Whatever Happened to Baby Jane - all of which were released in 1962 (among several other great movies that year), making them only 44 years old or so (and disqualifying them as classics?) - for the 10,000th time THAN a lot of the other films that are shown on TCM from the 1920's through the mid-1950's. But, that's just me.

For those (such as yourself?) with a more rigid and narrow definition of classic, you should be happy at the great movies you'll get to see when they too age past 50 years. Then again, it may that you just don't like (e.g.) Awakenings (because Robin Williams is in it?) or A Few Good Men (because Tom Cruise is in it?) such that 35 years from now (if TCM still exists) you'll object when they're shown then too.

puzzling "Space Balls", but I'll take the occasional documentary or Cavett show if it will help my knowledge for movies. >>

I think "Space Balls" is part of a tribute to Mel Brooks as they are showing the Dick Cavett interview, the original Producers and one of Brooks other films.

Blazing Saddles is a Warner Bros film but Young Frankenstein (arguably the best Brooks film of all) is Fox. I may be wrong but I think either High Anxiety or Silent Movie may be Universal. 12 Chairs for a long time was tied up with rights issues.

A tribute to Mel Brooks some may ask why? Me, I'm okay with it. This is a man who loves movies, has made many homages to them, produced a few classics including "The Elephant Man", wrote for Sid Caesar and was married to Anne Brancroft. I look forward to his interview with Dick Cavett though it was likely many years back as I may learn more about comedy, film and working in film that I did not know.

Just my two cents,