Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Filmlover, thanks for the link to the schedule from 1998. I saw three movies with actresses that I've taken an interest in in the last couple of years and hope that TCM runs these movies again soon: "The Iron Major" with Ruth Warrick (who was great in "Citizen Kane" and later during her 35 year run as Phoebe Tyler on "All My Children"), "Caged" with Eleanor Parker and "Father Takes a Wife" not for Gloria Swanson but for Florence Rice who was a great little 'B' leading lady for MGM.

I guess they had to give a day to Walter Matthau so they could show Bad News Bears and that awful Plaza Suite yet again. Once again someone more deserving of a tribute such as Bill Holden doesn't get a day in Summer Under the Stars. Walter Matthau? Doris Day? David Niven? Lee Marvin? Give me a break.

FWIW, William Holden was honored last August 28th in the 2005 Summer Under the Stars series. What's wrong with Walter Matthau (a thrice AA nominated Oscar winner, a funny everyman), Doris Day (AA nom, sweet, pretty, great voice), David Niven (a Best Actor Oscar winner, a Brit with style & wit), and Lee Marvin (a Best Actor Oscar winner, and quintessential tough guy persona)? I guess you wouldn't be satisfied unless you were the programmer;-)

Sorry, I meant to post that "I forgot...", as to add to my post below about "Summer Under the Stars".

By he way, I've never seen "The Wiz" and may give it a shot since I admire Diana Ross. I usually concentrate on the 300 vintage films and the specials that TCM presents each and every month. Looking forward to the Billy Wilder documentary tonight and his masterful movies in celebration of his birthday.

Once again someone more deserving of a tribute such as Bill Holden doesn't get a day in Summer Under the Stars.>>

Didn't Bill Holden have a day during last year's "Summer Under the Stars"?

<>

I won't profess to love every star that is highlighted as part of this summer's "****" line-up (Though Lee Marvin and David Niven are two of my faves) but I also know that for each star that I'm not wild about, there are TCM viewers who will appreciate them. Should I complain because it's not my particular favorites for 31 days? Or should I be understanding that TCM does not program just for me but for all of us and that there is something for everyone in "****"?

Hi, mongo, word of warning, the movie version of The Wiz was a real stinker. I saw the Broadway version and it was terrific, but come the movie they changed little Dorothy to a grownup school teacher in Detroit (if memory serves me correctly) so they could cast Diana Ross. Big mistake, huge. Of all the movies that have been made from a Broadway musical, this tops my list as the worst (the movie of A Chorus Line comes second).

I know TCM can't please everyone, and just because Bill Holden had a day last year isn't enough for me, I'm sure many of this year's stars were part of last year's programming anyways. I just think TCM gives Matthau and Day more airtime than they deserve, since they really are not the best actors.

I just think TCM gives Matthau and Day more airtime than they deserve, since they really are not the best actors.>>

But the question always gets back to who defines what actors and actresses are the "best"?

My list is not likely to be your list and your list is not likely to be filmlover's whose list is not likely to be stoney's whose list is not likely to be mongo's and so forth, etc, etc. etc.

It's the same dilemma as who or what defines "classic". Everyone has an opinion and everyone's opinion is valid but whose definition should be the rule of the land?

You can't blame TCM for trying to appeal to a target audience who's days aren't numbered. I know it's kind of morbid, but there is an expiration date on the bulk of their audience.

Sure, you and I enjoy watching what they program and would be happy if it never changed, but I think we're more the exception than the rule. If it takes a little bit of forward thinking to bring more viewers in to the camp, then so be it.

I won't be tuning in to these shows either but as much as I enjoy Comedy and some of the programming found on Comedy Central, I do not watch everything that Comedy Central programs.

Well, us Virginia Bruce lovers know who isn't included in 'Summer Under the Stars.' Heck, she can't even get a movie shown on her own birthday (9/29), LOL. See the Virginia Bruce thread in Hot Topics!

• 2 months later...

> Hi, mongo, word of warning, the movie version of The

> Wiz was a real stinker. I saw the Broadway version

> and it was terrific, but come the movie they changed

> little Dorothy to a grownup school teacher in Detroit

> (if memory serves me correctly) so they could cast

> Diana Ross. Big mistake, huge. Of all the movies

> that have been made from a Broadway musical, this

> tops my list as the worst (the movie of A Chorus Line

> comes second).

Hey, I'm not trying to revive this debate, believe me! Just want to comment on The Wiz--the main problem for me with this film is that it just looked so dingy and dark. The glorious Technicolor is one of the things that everyone loves about the Garland version of Oz---this update missed the boat!

Sandy K