Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great movie offering on PBS tonite

NipkowDisc

hopefully in your viewing area...

ALIEN - The Director's Cut.

I'm watchin'. :)

sorry tcm, you really must start doing better saturday nites. :lol:

also a great black & white ep of voyage to the bottom of the sea at 1 am eastern on me-tv...

'submarine sunk here'

it's a good-un. :)

other great fare comin' on tonite is the gop debate at eight on abc.

notta gonna be a missin' that so I'll hafta set my vcr to grab alien - the director's cut.

also later tonite is snl with bernie sanders and his hilarious doppelganger larry david.

:)

• Like 2

hopefully in your viewing area...

ALIEN - The Director's Cut.

I'm watchin'. :)

sorry tcm, you really must start doing better saturday nites. :lol:

Thanks for the tip. I'll be a watchin'.

;)

I believe the director's cut is shorter than the theatrical cut. Scott wanted it moved along faster in an attempt to appeal to "audiences of the new milleneum".

wikia: The Director's Cut of Alien is an alternate version of the 1979 film, released in 2003. Contrary to the vast majority of so-called "director's cuts", it is actually a shortened version of the movie, decreasing the run time by around a minute, and features several alternate scenes not included in the original theatrical version. Its creation was overseen by Alien director Ridley Scott.

Here's more:  HERE

• Like 1

The director's cut of Blade Runner is clearly better than the theatrical version.  There are, of course, several versions of them, but essentially the cut eliminates Harrison Ford's voiceover, removes the happy ending, and provides several clues that Deckard is in fact a replicant.  Does the director's cut of Alien change it in more than a superficial way.

The director's cut of Blade Runner is clearly better than the theatrical version.  There are, of course, several versions of them, but essentially the cut eliminates Harrison Ford's voiceover, removes the happy ending, and provides several clues that Deckard is in fact a replicant.  Does the director's cut of Alien change it in more than a superficial way.

**SPOILERS**

The only major difference as I recall is the reveal that the alien wasn't killing its victims, but capturing them and cocooning them. The original idea behind the alien reproduction was that the alien would capture a victim and "convert" them into a new egg, which would then produce a face-hugger to attach to other victims. Since this scene was cut, James Cameron was free to decide the alien's reproduction cycle differently in the sequel, ALIENS, with the egg-laying queen.

In the director's cut, Ripley discovers Tom Skerritt and Veronica Cartwright's characters in mid-transition to becoming eggs. 

I'm getting Alien full screen in very high definition, but there have been some visual imperfections. When they're in medical looking for the (first) creature, there are some dark shots where white sparkles can be seen in the darkest fields. They're not in the rest of the shot, so I believe these not to be a signal transmission problem from my cable provider or the station. 

My memory won't allow for a comparison to the theatrical cut. I'm enjoying it.

The PBS station 'round here only shows movies on FRIDAY nights, and that wasn't last Friday night's offering.

I also do believe there's a large segment of  people who, even if there's NO discerable difference, will scramble sheep-like towards ANY movie advertised as "director's cut" in the sad belief that it means it will always be better!

Heh!------It's like PT Barnum always said-------:D

Sepiatone