Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favourite Performances from 1929 to present are...

This next one is a labor of love because these are actually some of my all-time favorite character performers and roles. It sounds corny but I have to say they don't make actors like these anymore. Maybe it's because we don't have more Repertory.

1938-- Best Supporting Actor

* 1)Michel Simon--Le Quai des Brumes*

2) Mickey Rooney - - Boys Town

3) Robert Morley - - Marie Antoinette

4) Walter Catlett - Bringing Up Baby

5) Fritz Feld-- Bringing Up Baby

6)Tie:

Lew Ayres and Henry Kolker- - Holiday

7)Pat O'Brien - - Angels with Dirty Faces

1938-- Best Supporting Actress

*1) May Robson-- Bringing Up Baby*( possibly the best supporting-character actress in any screwball--)

2) Dame May Whitty - - The Lady Vanishes

3) Jean Dixon - - Bringing Up Baby

4) Luella Gear - - Carefree

5) Edna May Oliver - - Little Miss Broadway

6) Beulah Bondi - - Of Human Hearts

7) Faye Bainter - - Jezebel

• Like 5

I normally don't mention the score but this deserves recognition.

Erich Wolfgang Korngold was a Viennese composer of classical music, who had his life all successfully set out before himself when the Nazis invaded Austria.

He escaped with no money; he barely escaped with his life.

However, by doing so he changed screen music forever. His score for the Warner Brothers movie Robin Hood is considered to be the best and most original example of what a film score should be.

My DVD of Robin Hood has the feature where you can listen to the score by itself, just like a CD. I would suggest you all should do that.

I also have recordings of Bernard Herrmann, Max Steiner, Franz Warman and Miklos Rózsa.

The classical music station that I listen to plays them all but,they play more Korngold because he wrote more classical music apart from film music. I particularly like his Violin Concerto.

For a working class-- Street Smart Studio, Warner Brothers could pull out the stops when they wanted to. And Robin Hood was one of those times.

• Like 6

Princess:

Morley only had the role in Marie Antoinette because Charles Laughton tuned it down.  What a fabulous actor he turned out to be.

The score to Robin  Hood is excellent.

I try to collect scores of as many films or composers as possible.

The New York Film Critics Circle Awards for 1938 were:

Best Actor

James Cagney, Angels With Dirty Faces*

Spencer Tracy, Boys Town

John Garfield, Four Daughters

Best Actress

Margaret Sullavan, Three Comrades*

Wendy Hiller, Pygmalion

• Like 2

Erich Wolfgang Korngold was a Viennese composer of classical music, who had his life all successfully set out before himself when the Nazis invaded Austria.

He escaped with no money; he barely escaped with his life.

Even from the most obscene of real life horrors, beauty can be produced. If not for the existence of Hitler and the Nazis which stopped him from returning home, Korngold's Hollywood stay would have been a short one. No Robin Hood musical score, no Sea Hawk, no Kings Row, among so many others, would have been created by him.

If it hadn't been for Basil Rathbone, Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power wouldn't have been great swashbucklers. According to his contract, Basil had to make them look really good.

Among fencing movie stars, only Toshiro Mifune was the real thing. It would have been my fondest desire to see Musashi and Basil Rathbone fight it out.

But only for the camera, not the real thing!

• Like 3

A Photographic Tribute To My Favourite Film of 1938.

Who am I kidding? It may well be my favourite film. Period.

The Adventures of Robin Hood

2b8e907d-9ef2-495e-9a17-537a86e282f1_zps

396a1644-102b-40c6-96c9-b306d126fb8f_zps

adventures%20of%20robin%20hood%2087_zps0

b6f3caa7-7307-4619-96db-0473c806aafa_zps

2c0c8871-0e32-4be8-b652-3a1fe26860e4_zps

6d1ccf59-664c-41d5-93ce-0cfdfe4428c9_zps

44878fa4-5085-4a9d-8356-324b89a630a7_zps

adventures%20of%20robin%20hood%2055_zpsd

adventures%20of%20robin%20hood%2054_zpsq

The one Robin Hood cast member still with us today is Olivia de Havilland. Residing now, as she has since the late '50s, in Paris, the lady turns 100 in July.

It was not until around twenty years after Robin Hood's release that Olivia viewed the film for the first time. Enchanted by the production, she wrote a letter to Errol Flynn, imploring him to run it, telling him that he would be so proud of the film, so glad that he had played Robin Hood.

"I then thought," she said, "Oh, perhaps I shouldn't (send the letter). It's sentimental, perhaps I shouldn't. And I didn't. And it was about two weeks later that he died."

Flynn had had a 16mm collection of his films, and would play them - even to the very end. He undoubtedly must have watched his most famous film on occasion. Who knows what thoughts he had as he gazed through often vodka soaked vision upon that flickering image of himself in Lincoln green, with that athletic body that had once been his.

If only life could supply us with the same happy endings that we see in the movies.

97b6db2c-06de-47ef-b597-87a93becce99_zps

• Like 6

Basil Rathbone would not be happy with your selection, GPFan.

well, you were the one who pointed out the unedited error.  I might have done Best Swordfight between Flynn and Rathbone instead.

Rathbone, by the way, is at his most fun when he is a rotter.  I LOVE him as a bad guy..

I love Basil.  I adore him.  He can't be my favourite Holmes because his Watson made the detective look like he was followed around by a buffoon.  Yet to be a doctor, you have to be highly skilled.  Brett's two Watsons did not do this.  Brett paid a lot for this.  As time went by, Brett the man started to disappear  to be replaced by Holmes like behaviour.

Tragic story, Brett.

And to emphasize my feelings for Basil, if I were to list my favourite Basil performances, every single one of them IN THE TOP 5 would show him as the bad guy, not the hero:

1. THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD

2. ZORRO

3. CONFESSION

4. DAVID COPPERFIELD

5.CAPTAIN BLOOD

Don't ever think that I don't love Basil. 

For Tom and Princess:

God save our Rathbone

Sword-fighting Rathbone

Save our Rathbone.

Send him victorious

Cad-like and glorious

Long to back Rains for us

Our great Rathbone.

Edited by GregoryPeckfan
  • Like 2

Here are my choices of the 59 films I've seen from 1938 for…

Best Supporting Actor of 1938

1.  ROBERT MORLEY (King Louis XVI), Marie Antoinette

2.  WILFRED LAWSON (Alfred Doolittle), Pygmalion

3.  WALTER BRENNAN (Peter Goodwin), Kentucky

4.  BASIL RATHBONE (Sir Guy of Gisbourne), The Adventures of Robin Hood

5.  EDWARD ARNOLD (Anthony P. Kirby), You Can't Take It With You

6.  CARL ESMOND (Von Mueller), The Dawn Patrol

7.  HUMPHREY BOGART (James Frazier), Angels With Dirty Faces

8.  CLAUDE RAINS (Prince John), The Adventures of Robin Hood

9.  GENE LOCKHART (Regis), Algiers

10. JOHN GARFIELD (Mickey Borden), Four Daughters

and...

RALPH RICHARDSON (Phillip Denny), The Citadel

BASIL RATHBONE (Major Brand), The Dawn Patrol

MELVILLE COOPER ("High Sheriff of Nottingham"), The Adventures of Robin Hood

JOSEPH CALLEIA (Slimane), Algiers

CHARLES COBURN (J.B. Merlin), Bachelor Mother

BASIL RADFORD (Charters), The Lady Vanishes

WALTER PIDGEON (Bill Dennis), Too Hot to Handle

GEORGE BANCROFT (Mac Keefer), Angels With Dirty Faces

WALTER CATLETT (Constable Slocum), Bringing Up Baby

TYRONE GUTHRIE (Owen Jones, M.D.), The Beachcomber

PIERRE BRASSEUR (Lucien), Port of Shadows

JAMES STEWART (Jason Wilkins), Of Human Hearts

REX HARRISON (Dr. Lawford), The Citadel

• Like 4

well, you were the one who pointed out the unedited error.  I might have done Best Swordfight between Flynn and Rathbone instead.

That Robin Hood sword flub by Rathbone can only be discovered in our modern digital age of freeze framing images, such as I did with those two shots I reproduced earlier in this thread. It's almost impossible to spot it with the naked eye as you watch the film, certainly if you don't know that it's there. I assume that neither Rathbone nor Flynn ever knew that it was still in the final product, probably occupying, at most, a half second of screen time.

I guess Basil wouldn't have been very happy to see those shots here, assuming that the Warners editing department had completely eliminated it from the film.

As far as Rathbone's prowess with a blade is concerned, he was good, and he knew it.

In a 1959 interview Basil said, "I worked with swords three times a week. I became extremely skillful, so that when I faced up with Mr. Flynn I always liked to tell him, 'You may be the guy who's going to win the lady, but I can kill you any time I want to.'"

[media]

[media]

That Rathbone sword flub occurs at the 51 second mark of this clip. You might see if you can spot it in the live action of the film. Look fast!

You'll notice that as soon as the flub happens editor Ralph Dawson cuts to a shot of Flynn under the giant candle holder so that the two actors can then resume the duel. Dawson, by the way, won the 1938 Oscar for best editing of the year.

• Like 4

For Tom and Princess:

God save our Rathbone

Sword-fighting Rathbone

Save our Rathbone.

Send him victorious

Cad-like and glorious

Long to back Rains for us

Our great Rathbone.

This was originally much longer, but I accidentally deleted everything, so I just did the first two stanzas instead.  My bit of silliness with the British song to their Monarch.

• Like 1

Next Category: 1938 Best Supporting Actress:

Una O'Conner in The Adventures of Robin Hood

Ann Miller in You Can't Take It With You

Mae Robson in Bringing Up Baby

Fay Bainter in Jezebel

Jean Dixon in Holiday

Dame Mae Whitty in The Lady Vanishes

WINNER:

MAE ROBSON IN BRINGING UP BABY

Edited by GregoryPeckfan
  • Like 3

Marilyn Monroe in Alexander's Ragtime Band - mentioned here as this category is low for me  

Fay Bainter in Jezebel

Jean Dixon in Bringing Up Baby

WINNER:

Marilyn Monroe? She would have only been 12 in 1938.

Fay Bainter in Jezebel

Jean Dixon in Bringing Up Baby

WINNER:

Ok, so you removed Marilyn Monroe from ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND (and I don't think you confused her with Ethel Merman), but Jean Dixon was not in BRINGING UP BABY. I know, I know, you meant the other Hepburn-Grant comedy from 1938, HOLIDAY, right?

• Like 1

Ok, so you removed Marilyn Monroe from ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND (and I don't think you confused her with Ethel Merman), but Jean Dixon was not in BRINGING UP BABY. I know, I know, you meant the other Hepburn-Grant comedy from 1938, HOLIDAY, right?

I didn't mean to have anyone from Alexander's Ragtime Band.  I don't have anyone down for supporting roles for that film.

Yes, I meant Holiday.

Fay Bainter in Jezebel

Jean Dixon in Holiday

WINNER:

If you don't mind, I think I will just list my winners for the other categories and never mind the nominees.

This is no longer fun, and I have had another sleepless night.

Best supporting Actor Winner:

Basil Rathbone in The Adventures of Robin Hood

Best Actress;

Wendy Hiller in Pygmalian

Best Actor:

David Niven in The Dawn Patrol

• Like 4

If you don't mind, I think I will just list my winners for the other categories and never mind the nominees.

This is no longer fun, and I have had another sleepless night.

I hope, if you're feeling better later, you will add your nominees. I'd like to see all of the titles that I may have missed.

• Like 1

I hope, if you're feeling better later, you will add your nominees. I'd like to see all of the titles that I may have missed.

Okay.  I will add them on Wednesday or Thursday.  I have choir tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some rest.  There was a storm overnight and my cat would not settle down.

• Like 1
  • Bogie56 changed the title to Your Favourite Performances from 1929 to present are...