Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

Your Favourite Performances from 1930 to present are...

I'm not quite sure of the guidelines for the Best Ensemble category, but if it means that there are no one or two real leads, rather many parts of a fair size, then my choice for 1935 would be the great cast of:

The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Heather Angel

E.E. Clive

Ethel Griffies

Valerie Hobson

Walter Kingsford

David Manners

Douglass Montgomery

Claude Rains

Francis L. Sullivan

Zeffie Tilbury

• Like 4

I've never seen The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

It has been long on my to-see list.

The Best Ensemble category for us does not really have a set of rules to it as far you asked, Swithin, although it is the name that SAG gives to its equivalent of the Best Picture.

The Best Ensemble as I chose it for 1935 does indeed have two leads that dominate the story.  Astaire and Rogers are the stars of Top Hat, despite me being silly and including the feather dress as a cast member in my explanation of why I chose Top Hat over my other top 5 choices.

The way I see my options for Best Ensemble is where everyone in the cast - whether lead, supporting or bit part like the officer who arrests Eric Blore's character after he tells him off in English  - is memorable.

I chose also to not pick The 39 Steps and have created a separate Hitchcock category because as Hitch is my favourite director of all time, I could simply have all my entries be Hitchcock once we get to Hitch's golden age.

I suppose if I wanted to pick Best Ensemble based on there being no clear leads of the films I'd seen it would have been David Copperfield.  But that was not how I made my choice.

Here are my choices of the 65 films I've seen from 1935 for…

Best Supporting Actress of 1935

8.  MARGARET LINDSAY (Dale Elwell), Bordertown

MARGARET LINDSAY (Gail Armitage), Dangerous

MARGARET LINDSAY (Kay McCord), G-Men

MV5BMTI2MjY5MDExN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDgy

I noticed that I had Margaret Lindsay down for three films of 1935.  I don't know much about her other than her career probably didn't hit the heights that it deserved to.  She was a very talented and beautiful lady.

I'm not quite sure of the guidelines for the Best Ensemble category, but if it means that there are no one or two real leads, rather many parts of a fair size, then my choice for 1935 would be the great cast of:

The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Heather Angel

E.E. Clive

Ethel Griffies

Valerie Hobson

Walter Kingsford

David Manners

Douglass Montgomery

Claude Rains

Francis L. Sullivan

Zeffie Tilbury

Great cast. I'd like to see it. 

As far as my Best Ensemble category, I use it to list one or two films where I'd like to acknowledge the entire cast. Any film chosen for best ensemble won't get any individual nominations in my other categories.

• Like 1

I noticed that I had Margaret Lindsay down for three films of 1935. I don't know much about her other than her career probably didn't hit the heights that it deserved to. She was a very talented and beautiful lady.

I'm a fan of Lindsay as well. I've read that she was a lesbian that rebuffed a lot of amorous advances from the wrong people, and thus it hurt her career. She also had trouble with poor romantic chemistry with a lot of her male co-stars. I read about the latter in Jimmy Cagney's biography, I think.

• Like 3

I'm a fan of Lindsay as well. I've read that she was a lesbian that rebuffed a lot of amorous advances from the wrong people, and thus it hurt her career. She also had trouble with romantic chemistry with a lot of her male co-stars. I read about the latter in Jimmy Cagney's biography, I think.

I like her as well. I believe I had her down for her role in 1934's Fog Over Frisco, in which she plays Bette Davis' sister.

2.  JESSIE RALPH (Nurse Peggotty), David Copperfield

10. JESSIE RALPH (Mrs. Phoebe Brockwell Tembleton Fisher), Enchanted April

jessie-ralph-3-sized_zps53b1xgxa.jpg

And then there's Jessie Ralph.  I believe that you, Swithin also pointed out her performance as Nurse Peggotty in David Copperfield.

I think I neglected to put her on my list as Fay Wray's bearded mother in The Affairs of Cellini for 1934.  She pimps her own daughter to Frank Morgan in that one.

Okay, so by request of Film Lover I watched SHE (1935) which I have described in I Just Watched.

What can I say here?

If we had a favourite performance category  for best behind the scenes artist we can't see because it is not  documentary I would give this award:

Favouriite impersonation of Ed Wood by someone who likely never met him:

Marion C. Cooper as the director of SHE (1935).

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Lindsay as well. I've read that she was a lesbian that rebuffed a lot of amorous advances from the wrong people, and thus it hurt her career. She also had trouble with poor romantic chemistry with a lot of her male co-stars. I read about the latter in Jimmy Cagney's biography, I think.

Yes, Margaret Lindsay refused to play the game of publicly dating various actors and eventually marrying someone, perhaps in a "lavender marriage" like Janet Gaynor and Adrian (where a lesbian marries a gay man). Not playing the game hurt her career.

She was friends with Edgar Ulmer and his wife, and lived in their house for a time, according to Ulmer's daughter, who introduced HER SISTER'S SECRET.

• Like 3

The Venice Film Festival of 1935 gave the Best Actor Award to Pierre Blanchar for Crime and Punishment.  This was not the Von Sternberg, Peter Lorre, Edward Arnold version made the same year but a French film by Pierre Chenal starring Blancher as Raskolnikov and Harry Baur as Porphyre.   The Best Actress Award went to Paula Wessely for the Austrian film, Episode.

• Like 1

And then there's Jessie Ralph. 

Let's not forget Jessie Ralph's brief appearance in the early scenes of 1935's Captain Blood, in which she is called "my vinegary virgin" by Errol Flynn with such charm that it almost doesn't sound like an insult.

And that reminds me,

Special "MAKING AWKWARD DIALOGUE SOUND PERFECTLY NATURAL BY A ROOKIE ACTOR" Award:

Errol Flynn in CAPTAIN BLOOD.

tumblr_mn2aq5Z7CF1snx77eo1_500.gif

"Up that rigging, you monkeys, aloft! There's no chains to hold you now. Break out those sails and watch them fill with the wind that's carrying us all to freedom!"

• Like 6

And then there's Jessie Ralph.  I believe that you, Swithin also pointed out her performance as Nurse Peggotty in David Copperfield.

I think I neglected to put her on my list as Fay Wray's bearded mother in The Affairs of Cellini for 1934.  She pimps her own daughter to Frank Morgan in that one.

IMDB credits Jessie Ralph with eleven movies in 1935!  (She had quite a large role in Jalna.) She has a mere nine in 1936 -- I think she'll be on my list again.

Margot Grahame  The Informer  **

Elsa Lanchester  Bride of Frankenstein

Margaret Lindsay  Dangerous

Una Merkel  The Broadway Melody of 1936

ZaSu Pitts  Ruggles of Red Gap

No surprises here; I think every one of these has already been listed by someone else. Lanchester created an iconic screen image in just a few very brief scenes in Bride of Frankenstein. ZaSu Pitts and Una Merkel both delivered their usual comedic best in their respective roles. Margaret Lindsay put her haughty sophistication to good use opposite Bette Davis. But Margot Grahame was far and away the clear winner for me, with her heartbreaking turn in The Informer.

• Like 5

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS FOR 1935:

As always, indulge me and ignore alphabetizing;

Helen Broderick in Top Hat

Billie Burke in Splendor

Katherine Alexander in Splendor

Spring Byington in Mutiny on the Bounty

Elsa Lanchester in David Copperfield

Una O'Conner in The Informer

WINNER:

Elsa Lanchester in David Copperfield.

• Like 4

A couple of posters here have now made reference to Margot Grahame in The Informer in the best supporting actress category, and they were right to do so. I completely forgot about Grahame when I compiled my own list and should have included her. She gives a completely sympathetic performance as the prostitute in that film, as the source of Gypo's betrayal and downfall.

Max Steiner, who composed the powerful score for The Informer, liked to create leitmotifs for some film characters, those little recurring musical phrases that would often play on screen whenever a particular character appeared. And he had a lovely one for Grahame in The Informer.

One of the outstanding illustrations of Steiner's subtle artistry occurs in the scene in which Gypo, surrounded by members of the IRA, finally confesses to his betrayal of one of their members. (He did it, as you may recall, for the reward money so he could take Grahame to America to escape her life on the streets).

There's a moment in which Victor McLaglen's Gypo, having now finally made the confession, sits on a bench, shaking his head and repeats to himself, "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I did it."

As he says those words, Steiner answers him on the soundtrack - by playing Grahame's leitmotif.

By the way, the 1929 silent, part talkie version of The Informer is currently available on You Tube. It stars Lars Hanson as Gypo and Lya de Putti as Katie. It's a version I've never seen but I plan upon correcting that soon.

P.S.: I just added Margot Grahame's performance to my own supporting actress list. Thanks, Bogie and Lawrence, for reminding me about her.

• Like 5

I've noticed that so far, I seem to be the only person listing anyone from Splendor.

It did air last year on TCM as part of the TCM SOTM look at David Niven who is a great example of someone who rose from bit parts to become a big star instead of the other way around.

Has anyone else seen Splendor?  What do any of you think of it?

SPLENDOR is a  film I thought that I might be the only one to see it.

This is a pre-code movie that stars Miriam Hopkins and Joel McCrea.

McCrea has married Hopkins before we meet them.  She is poor.  His family has had  high hopes for him to marry rich because they have a huge debt-load and big house and none of them ARE WILLING TO WORK.

David Niven is Joel's brother who has big gambling debts.

The family is horrified.

Hopkins is desired by a man with lots of money who can give the family money if she is willing to be his mistress including giving McCrea a job that pays well. 

McCrea must not know.

The mother-in-law wants Hopkins to agree.

• Like 3

Here are my choices of the 65 films I've seen from 1935 for…

Best Supporting Actor of 1935

1.  CHARLES LAUGHTON (Inspector Emil Javert), Les Miserables

2.  W.C. FIELDS (Wilkins Micawber), David Copperfield

3.  JAMES CAGNEY (Nick Bottom, the weaver/”Pyramus”), A Midsummer Night's Dream

4.  ERNEST THESIGER (Dr. Septimus Pretorius), The Bride of Frankenstein

5.  LENNOX PAWLE (Mr. Dick), David Copperfield

6.  ROLAND YOUNG (Uriah Heep), David Copperfield

7.  BASIL RATHBONE (Karenin), Anna Karenina

8.  SIG RUMAN (Herman Gottlieb), A Night at the Opera

9.  CHARLES RUGGLES (Egbert Floud), Ruggles of Red Gap

10. ALFRED ADAM (Josef Van Muelen, le boucher), La Kermesse Heroique

and...

FRANK ALBERTSON (Walter Adams), Alice Adams

REGINALD OWEN (Stiva), Anna Karenina

REGINALD OWEN (C.J. Stryver), A Tale of Two Cities

LOUIS JOUVET (Le Chapelain), La Kermesse Heroique

DONALD CRISP (Thomas Burkitt), Mutiny on the Bounty

JOHN BUCKLER (Ham), David Copperfield

WALLACE FORD (Frankie McPhillip), The Informer

DEWITT JENNINGS (Mr. Fryer), Mutiny on the Bounty

DONALD WOODS (Charles Darnay Evremonde), A Tale of Two Cities

GODFREY TEARLE (Professor Jordan), The 39 Steps

• Like 4

Nice selections, Bogie. I have 2 on my list that you did not, although one person is on both, just different movies.

GregoryPeckfan--Could not find "Splendor" (1935) on YouTube, so I watched another film.  I'm going to amend my nominations for "Best Actress", then post in "I Just Watched"

• Like 1

Since TCM aired Splendor not that long ago, they will likely air it again.

As for the leading man and lady,  Joel McCrea and Miriam Hopkins made about 7 movies together, and the ones I have seen are all thanks to TCM in the last six months.

• Like 1

Best Supporting Actor of 1935

Eric Blore  Top Hat

Wallace Ford  The Informer

Basil Rathbone  Captain Blood

Charles Ruggles  Ruggles of Red Gap

Ernest Thesiger  Bride of Frankenstein  **

Blore was once again a treat with Astaire/Rogers. Wally Ford is always a great sidekick. Rathbone should get nominated for just about everything. And Ruggles was one of the best comic actors of the decade. But my choice is one of the great, if not THE greatest mad scientist in movie history, Thesiger.

• Like 6

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR 1935

This was really tough picking a winner:

Lionel Barrymore in David Copperfield

Eric Blore in Top Hat

Donald Crisp in Mutiny on the Bounty

Edward Everett Horton in Top Hat

W.C. Fields in David Copperfield

Fred MacMurray in Alice Adams

David Niven in Splendor

Basil Rathbone in Captain Blood

Bail Rathbone in David Copperfield

Eric Rhodes in Top Hat

Geoffrey Tearle in The 39 Steps

Franchot Tone in Mutiny on the Bounty

Wylie Watson in The 39 Steps

Roland Young in David Copperfield

I had a very difficult tie to break.  Since we are going to be having a decade review I need to pick a winner.

So:

WINNER:

ERIC BLORE IN TOP HAT:  in plural!

HONORABLE MENTION: 

Eric Rhodes in Top Hat:  BENINI!

• Like 5

HONORABLE MENTION: 

Eric Rhodes in Top Hat:  BENINI!

Interesting biographical bit about Erik Rhodes:  He was the boyfriend, for quite some time, of Nicolas de Gunzberg, a fascinating gentleman who funded and starred (as Julian West) in Carl Theodor Dreyer's film Vampyr. 

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2014/09/niki-de-gunzburg-profile

• Like 5