Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Stephan55

Windows 10 For TCM?

Just some miscellaneous stuff.  Not related in particular to the Windows 10 upgrade fun.

National Vulnerability Database - various Windows kernel issues.  All operating systems have vulnerabilities which are discovered from time to time which need to be addressed.  Microsoft is not in the habit of fixing everything.  Some issues remain unaddressed over a period of many years, thereby providing exploits which are well-known to hackers and to the NSA..

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/search-results?query=windows+kernel&search_type=last3years&cves=on

Here is an oldie but goodie, as per Stuxnet and beyond:

US Hid Spyware in Hard Drives by Western Digital, Seagate, and Others: Kaspersky. 

The U.S. National Security Agency has figured out how to hide spying software deep within hard drives made by Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and other top manufacturers, giving the agency the means to eavesdrop on the majority of the world's computers, according to cyber researchers and former operatives.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/us-hid-spyware-in-hard-drives-by-western-digital-seagate-and-others-kaspersky-661481

and here

http://bit.ly/17bPUUe

Fun times.  I think I will install TOR and familiarize myself with the Dark Web just so I can do trivial everyday things like reply to threads here, but with a heightened sense of mystery and intrigue.

• Like 2

Just some miscellaneous stuff.  Not related in particular to the Windows 10 upgrade fun.

National Vulnerability Database - various Windows kernel issues.  All operating systems have vulnerabilities which are discovered from time to time which need to be addressed.  Microsoft is not in the habit of fixing everything.  Some issues remain unaddressed over a period of many years, thereby providing exploits which are well-known to hackers and to the NSA..

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/search-results?query=windows+kernel&search_type=last3years&cves=on

Here is an oldie but goodie, as per Stuxnet and beyond:

US Hid Spyware in Hard Drives by Western Digital, Seagate, and Others: Kaspersky. 

The U.S. National Security Agency has figured out how to hide spying software deep within hard drives made by Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and other top manufacturers, giving the agency the means to eavesdrop on the majority of the world's computers, according to cyber researchers and former operatives.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/us-hid-spyware-in-hard-drives-by-western-digital-seagate-and-others-kaspersky-661481

and here

http://bit.ly/17bPUUe

Fun times.  I think I will install TOR and familiarize myself with the Dark Web just so I can do trivial everyday things like reply to threads here, but with a heightened sense of mystery and intrigue.

Privacy should never be assumed under any circumstances. You should never say anything out loud you would not want everyone to know. You should not do anything you would not want everyone to be aware of. This applies as much to computer activity as well as everyday living. Behave as though you know someone (everyone) is watching.

Though home computer activities offer a detachment and insulation from the public eye, it is only your formal, official identity which is hidden, not your personal identity and character. A rose by any other name offers nothing of true anonymity.

• Like 2

Privacy should never be assumed under any circumstances. You should never say anything out loud you would not want everyone to know. You should not do anything you would not want everyone to be aware of. This applies as much to computer activity as well as everyday living. Behave as though you know someone (everyone) is watching.

Though home computer activities offer a detachment and insulation from the public eye, it is only your formal, official identity which is hidden, not your personal identity and character. A rose by any other name offers nothing of true anonymity.

Now you tell me...  :P

• Like 2

I've decided that I can't be bothered to fight Microsoft. Yes, the method by which they appear to be converting the PC world to their idea of the way an operating system should be managed does feel nefarious, but I lack the time and energy (not to mention the systemic understanding) to get rebellious about it all. After all, I have a computer for e-mailing, posting in forums, researching topics, searching for items I might be interested in purchasing, and watching videos - so what if someone knows this?

I have accepted the free offer from MS to upgrade to Windows 10. It is done. So far, I like it. I'm happy for now - I'll let you know if I should become unhappy at some point.

I have no reservations. I'm waiting until the last 2 weeks of the Free Upgrade Period so they can address as many issues as pop up before I take the leap.

My only concern is that of possibly losing files in the process. I'm making sure I have everything backed up on a separate device.

• Like 1

I have no reservations. I'm waiting until the last 2 weeks of the Free Upgrade Period so they can address as many issues as pop up before I take the leap.

My only concern is that of possibly losing files in the process. I'm making sure I have everything backed up on a separate device.

I lost no files. The upgrade went smoothly, took about 75 minutes to complete.

It took me a little while to find everything because the layout is very different from Windows 7. But I'm getting used to it all pretty quickly.

• Like 2

I lost no files. The upgrade went smoothly, took about 75 minutes to complete.

It took me a little while to find everything because the layout is very different from Windows 7. But I'm getting used to it all pretty quickly.

Hey I'm happy for you DB (I think).

At least it was you who made the decision to "Upgrade" to Win 10.

If you have read this thread in it's entirety and done a little research, then I believe that yours was an informed decision.

Glad that so far you are enjoying the move and hope that it continues to work out well for you.

I still despise MS's tactics on this, and their increasing controlling attitude.

I can see the flip side..., for a more stable and "safer" OS, one must be willing to sacrifice a little "freedom" and personal "privacy." 

But then I am reminded of what Benjamin Franklin once said about that.... "Those who sacrifice freedom to gain security will end up with neither."

Too similar to the "Patriot Act" and way too Orwellian for me to swallow lightly.

So I will not willingly "join the dark side" by giving up, nor giving in, so long as there are alternatives available...

• Thanks 1

Hey I'm happy for you DB (I think).

At least it was you who made the decision to "Upgrade" to Win 10.

If you have read this thread in it's entirety and done a little research, then I believe that yours was an informed decision.

Glad that so far you are enjoying the move and hope that it continues to work out well for you.

I still despise MS's tactics on this, and their increasing controlling attitude.

I can see the flip side..., for a more stable and "safer" OS, one must be willing to sacrifice a little "freedom" and personal "privacy." 

But then I am reminded of what Benjamin Franklin once said about that.... "Those who sacrifice freedom to gain security will end up with neither."

Too similar to the "Patriot Act" and way too Orwellian for me to swallow lightly.

So I will not willingly "join the dark side" by giving up, nor giving in, so long as there are alternatives available...

Hey, I finally saw this thing for the second or third time, one of my friends was confused so he showed it to me when they had us over, hoping I could help him.  I am not really an IT guy but I tried anyhow.  I was just sitting there nodding my head and looking and listening.  I thought "Wow", and not in a good way.  I wouldn't be surprised if third party software vendors hit them with a class-action lawsuit for their SaaS model. (software as a service)  Not good.  In my malformed little pea-brain, this hideous intrusive thing should be called something like "Windows 10 Express".  The consumer should be given the choice to use either this piece of spyware crap for nothing, or a normal stand-alone desktop version for a reasonable price, outside of business-oriented enterprise versions.  Unbelievable.  This pablum for the masses is NOT in the same lineage, nor the successor to Windows XP Pro or Windows 7 Pro.  XP/7 Home is even quite a stretch.

Microsoft wants to lock everyone into its store via universal Windows apps, says game kingpin

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/05/gears_of_war_dude_dumps_on_microsoft/

What is it with cloud computing? Engage VM, disengage brain?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/25/engage_cloud_disengage_brain/

I have switched to Linux Mint for now, and fortunately my most important software is able to run on it.  I will be using that from now on, unless MS comes out with a more logical upgrade path for the power user somewhere down the road.

P.S. In a sense the writers of tools such as GWX Control Panel, as you have mentioned below, at least in principle represent a bit of the Free Software movement, whether the Linux people want to acknowledge it or not.

Bonus material: MS Sticks Their Junk Into Redhat Linux

Red Hat Enterprise Linux lands on Microsoft Azure cloud – no, we're not pulling your leg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/04/microsoft_and_red_hat_announce_cloud_partnership/

'We love Linux' purrs Microsoft as Red Hat, Azure go on honeymoon

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/17/we_love_linux_claims_microsoft/

Fun times.

• Like 1

I cannot recall specifics, but last year I scanned several articles which mentioned the intrusiveness of Windows 10 has actually been in place via Windows 8, and possibly further back in the lineage. What wasn't already in place with 8 was added to it shortly after 10's introduction - some , if not all of 10's spyware.

• Like 1

I cannot recall specifics, but last year I scanned several articles which mentioned the intrusiveness of Windows 10 has actually been in place via Windows 8, and possibly further back in the lineage. What wasn't already in place with 8 was added to it shortly after 10's introduction - some , if not all of 10's spyware.

Backporting.

Just install all updates, then go into Services and permanently disable Windows Updates, then download and run GWX Control Panel to blast away unnecessary tripe and secure things.  Wash, rinse and repeat if it makes you feel any better.

• Like 1

Virtually my entire day was spent at a computer place where I got my laptop getting them to disable updates.  Somehow I had managed to push a button that had updates ready every time I turned the computer off so that it would take two hours to update. 

Then I deleted all the updated in the past two days.

I cannot figure out how to get the windows 10 update icon off of the bottom of my screen without touching it.  I don't want to touch it.

This is exhausting.

• Like 1

After months of avoiding updating to Windows 10, I somehow accidentally did it.  Could not shut down my computer.  Had to call my security service who gave me number for Windows.  Took about 20 minutes for them to tell me that the button/icon  for settings, power, etc. had been moved.

Have not noticed any significant changes that will benefit me.  But then I don't use computer for a lot, never use apps and do not do WiFi, tablet, phone, downloads, etc.

• Like 2

Virtually my entire day was spent at a computer place where I got my laptop getting them to disable updates.  Somehow I had managed to push a button that had updates ready every time I turned the computer off so that it would take two hours to update. 

Then I deleted all the updated in the past two days.

I cannot figure out how to get the windows 10 update icon off of the bottom of my screen without touching it.  I don't want to touch it.

This is exhausting.

I am sorry that that happened to you GPF. If there is any solace in knowing that you are not alone in this kind of dilemma then know that you are among millions of Microsoft users who now feel very disenfranchised  by MS, and their horribly invasive Win 10 Operating system.

I know that this is not a short thread but it is worth reading in it's entirety. There are posts and links that will both inform and enable you to protect yourself against the Win 10 upgrade. I will not repeat those posts and links in this post, as they have already been elaborately explained earlier in this thread. Please take the time to look, and if you have any specific questions afterward, then post again here, and further elaboration/explanation and or help will be provided by either myself, or other informed readers of this thread.

Suffice it to say, that I (and numerous others) have been able to (thus far) remove the numerous offensive MS updates and eliminate the hidden Win 10 files on my (our) PC/s and by not allowing MS to automatically download and update files without my (our) permission (and only after I (we) have carefully examined what each update is trying to do) have thus far avoided becoming reinfected by those insidious  MS Win 10 files.

All that information is in this thread.

NOTE Win 10, does NOT allow it's users an option to pick and choose... All MS updates are automatically installed regardless of user choice and MS will automatically delete any files or programs that it deems to be in conflict with any of their proprietary system updates/upgrades (without asking nor informing the user) . 

Users of Win 10 surrender control of their PCs to Microsoft which is one of the reasons why they have now become anathema to many former loyal MS customers.

Thank-you Stephan.

I did manage to hide the icon after finding that I could arrange what icons appeared at the bottom of my screen.

And my updates are set to never update.

I see that I somehow have bing back on my computer which I do not like as much as google.  That is not a big deal as search engines can be set to preferences.

• Like 1

After months of avoiding updating to Windows 10, I somehow accidentally did it.  Could not shut down my computer.  Had to call my security service who gave me number for Windows.  Took about 20 minutes for them to tell me that the button/icon  for settings, power, etc. had been moved.

Have not noticed any significant changes that will benefit me.  But then I don't use computer for a lot, never use apps and do not do WiFi, tablet, phone, downloads, etc.

Whenever you notice or feel that you have "lost control" of your PC to any known or unknown source or agent, do NOT click any button (as No, often means Yes, and Disable often means Enable), first thing to do is immediately pull the plug to the internet (If you have a direct Ethernet connection), or disable the WiFi. This stops or interrupts the download process of any unwanted files. A further recommended step is to shut-down the PC completely. If the offending program will not allow you to do this, then unplug the PC. If you are using a laptop on battery, then remove the battery. If you are at home you can also unplug your router and/or modem.

Leave the afflicted PC off. If you have a second "unaffected" PC, use it to carefully get online to research what might be causing the problem and whatever you need to do to remedy it. Use that PC to carefully download any safe programs or files that may be necessary to fix the problem and then use a thumb drive to transfer those files to the afflicted PC.

For non-users of the Win 10 Operating system, often after a cool down period, a restart (without reconnecting to the internet) and system restore to an earlier known unaffected date, will allow one to regain control of their PC.

However, some sophisticated "hostage" and "ransom" malware, will not allow users these options. So, it is always wise to have a back-up to an external drive (that does not remain connected to the PC) of both your original OS and ALL important files.

That way, if worse, does come to worse, then the infected system hard drive/s can be replaced and everything reinstalled.

All of this also applies to those afflicted with Microsoft's Win 10 Operating System in process upgrade.

As said earlier, there is valid information and links posted in this thread to help anyone to either prevent or remedy an undesired Win 10 upgrade. Please take the time to read the original and successive posts in this thread for this information.

Microsoft has been "secretly" including updates that allow them to monitor and infect unsuspecting system users with the Win 10 upgrade, for over a year now. So just going back a few days, or weeks, or months, is not enough to prevent reinfection (automatic re-installation) of those controlling updates. Fortunately, the names of all those earlier files are now known, and one can either manually locate and delete them all (a very time consuming process) or use one or more of the "safe" programs that have been tested and used by myself and others that are referred to in this thread.

Information and Links to all of this has been posted earlier in this thread.

For users of earlier non-Win 10 (at risk) operating systems (i.e. Win 7 and 8) it is very easy to regain control of your PC.

First.... go to Windows Control Panel\Windows Update\Change Settings... and then choose from the drop down: "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."

Because MS has now relabeled those Win 10 updates from "Optional" to "Recommended" and "important" be sure to uncheck any of the other boxes i.e. "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" and "Allow all users to install updates on this computer." The reasons for this are both obvious and covert, as some of those updates actually allow MS (unauthorized) remote control of your PC and thus qualify them as a "user" of your PC.

I say "unauthorized" because if you are not informed of what each of these updates do, then you have "unknowingly" given MS permission to perform these activities by allowing the update to be installed on your PC. Sort of like signing at the bottom of a contract without reading all of the fine print disclaimers above.

MS understands that most users (myself included) have (or formally had) a habit of trusting MS and do not (did not) click and read about each of their numerous updates before installation. And many simply allow MS the default to automatically download and install all of their "recommended" updates without a second thought. 

The maliciously aggressive Win 10 upgrade campaign has taught many of us (the hard way) to curtail those dangerous lackadaisical  practices.

After doing the above, depending on your level of infection and stage of Win 10 upgrade, I advise checking out the earlier posts and links in this thread and recommend either a laboriously manual "search and destroy" of every one of those update files and hidden Win 10 folders, or download and expeditiously implement any of the three programs/scripts that have been tried and tested and posted about in this thread.

(NOTE these are not the only remedies out there, they are however three that I have personally tested and can recommend).

Always, be safe and create a manual Restore Point before installing any program.

The writing is on the wall and plain to see to all who read it as the direction that Microsoft is going...

It is far more profitable for them to promote "Subscription" services than allowing users to  choose from the proverbial ongoing list of MS operating system upgrades. A huge list of Subscribers allows them tangible numbers that translates into money-in-the-bank market share.

Win 10 will evolve into a "subscription" Operating System, just as their MS Office 365 already is.

They will promise their users an always "Up-to-date" operating system, that will be very reliable and "safe."

However, in exchange for this, the users of Win 10 and all future "subscribers" are required to relinquish user control of their PC's to MS.

Only programs that do not conflict with MS proprietary software will be allowed, and MS reserves the right to view how all of their subscribers use their PCs, what apps they use, what sites they visit, what emails and contacts they have, ad infinitum, even to the point of hijacking user internet band width, etc., etc.. MS then stores the information and uses it for marketing and to develop ever more intrusive programs and, of course, to manipulate all existing programs at their discretion, including automatic deletion of any program on your PC that inhibits or "conflicts" with any of their designated or proprietary programs.

A "Personal" Computer controlled by MS that users are allowed use, so long as they continue to pay their annual subscription fee.

That is a world that I want nothing to do with.

So while we can, for a time, delay the inevitable, by avoiding the MS Win 10 upgrade... eventually, MS will no longer support the Win 7 and Win 8 Operating systems. So ultimately PC users will be forced to either "join the dark side" or choose a different operating system.

As of now, we have the alternative options of choosing either Mac (which is highly collaborative with MS), or Linux (which MS is recently attempting to secrete themselves into).

• Like 1

Backporting is the action of taking parts from a newer version of a software system or software component and porting them to an older version of the same software.

MS was already thinking about what they wanted the next version of Windows to be able to do when they introduced the Win 8.1 upgrade. At that time they began secreting the kind of telemetry spyware that is endemic in Win 10.

Win 7 and earlier systems were not so afflicted, however, as MCOH pointed out, they began retroactively "Backporting" updates to the older operating systems at least as far back as early 2015, that enabled the system monitoring and spying that has evolved into the insidious Win 10 upgrade today.

recently got this warning from MS:

still on version 7, now must PAY $139 to down load W10  :huh:

(they also want me to buy new computer(s).......have an older desktop (w/W7) & a newer laptop, neither has W10

so do I have to pay twice?)

& what happens if I DON'T :unsure:

( am NO computer geek, gotta explain to me like a 5-yr. old) :)

=========================================================

"Support for Windows 7 is nearing the end

After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. We know change can be difficult, so we are here to help you with recommendations for what to do next and to answer questions about end of support.

What does end of support mean?

When Windows 7 reaches end of support on January 14, 2020, your computer will still function but Microsoft will no longer provide the following:

• Technical support for any issues
  • Software updates
  • Security updates or fixes

While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10.

And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended........"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information?ocid=MoveToWindows10