Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mike Bloomberg considering running for the White House

I rarely comment on the political threads in this forum, but can't help starting this thread... As if this presidential race isn't exciting enough - now former New York mayor Mike Bloomberg is looking at getting into it, running as an independent.

Wonder what this will mean for the current crop of contenders, if he does it?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/08/politics/michael-bloomberg-2016-election/index.html

Bloomberg has been flirting with that idea for some time, though this is a pretty specific "threat." He's not a bad guy and was a decent mayor, although he was perhaps too close to the City's elite and power brokers.  He first ran as a Republican (because that's the line that was available) but has called himself a Democrat.  It has been said he would enter if the choices looked to be Sanders -- Trump; or Sanders -- Cruz. 

At heart, he is probably like an old Yankee Republican, which used to be the party's center, in the days of liberal Republicans like Rockefeller, Javits, and Lindsay, who were more liberal than many NY Democrats in those days. Bloomberg is very progressive socially. If he gets into the race, he would probably take more votes from the Democrat and ensure a right-wing Republican victory.

If he does decide to run, even if that decision was made tomorrow, it's already pretty late in the game.  Maybe at that point the best he could hope for as an Independent is to take votes away from one party or the other, rather than winning, himself.  Would Bloomberg surpass Trump?  I would vote for Joe the Garbageman over Donald Trump, but Bloomberg would have a lot to do in a short period of time to "catch up" in making a deep impression with voters, even though he was once mayor.

• Like 1

Bloomberg has a lot of money. Laurence O'Donnell said (just a few seconds ago) that Bloomberg is "ten times as rich as Trump." And with the intense, constant media attention, which provides visibility, I think Bloomberg could make a good race, even taking into account the lateness. And since Bloomberg won't be in primaries, he won't have to worry about amassing delegates. He could begin his campaign for President immediately.

It's sad that any billionaire can just decide to run for President and then do so. But Bloomberg is at heart a decent man. 

• Like 2

Bloomberg has a lot of money. Laurence O'Donnell said (just a few seconds ago) that Bloomberg is "ten times as rich as Trump." And with the intense, constant media attention, which provides visibility, I think Bloomberg could make a good race, even taking into account the lateness. And since Bloomberg won't be in primaries, he won't have to worry about amassing delegates. He could begin his campaign for President immediately.

It's sad that any billionaire can just decide to run for President and then do so. But Bloomberg is at heart a decent man. 

washington is full of decent schtootzes...

but not very useful.

washington is full of decent schtootzes...

but not very useful.

When I say "decent," I certainly don't mean he's ineffectual. There's a reason he rose from humble means to become ten times richer than Trump the Loser!

• Like 1

Bloomberg is for Hillary,  so this might just be a scare tactic to push Dem voters in her direction instead of Sanders using the POV that Sanders can't win the general election.

Bloomberg has implied he wouldn't run if Hillary was the Dem candidate.   If both Sander and Bloomberg were running I don't know how that would play out,  but if Trump is the GOP candidate I would assume Trump would win.  If someone like Cruz,  I would assume anyone but Cruz.    With someone like Rubio I have no idea.