Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lava Mae: Creating Showers on Wheels for the Homeless

November 14, 2013
By CATERINA ANDREANO via WORLD NEWS

uE5CnV9.jpg

Coincidentally, last night I came across a Reddit AMA with actor/comedian Louie Anderson which included the following response when asked what else he's been up to lately: 

"I'm in the process of putting together a project for the homeless in Las Vegas. Working with some people there to get a mobile bus where people can come wash their clothes, shower, and get things they need. Always have had a special place in my heart for people who have been displaced, because my brother lived on the streets for a while."

It would be great to see this kind of project expand all over the country.

BTW, he's currently doing a brilliant job playing Zach Galifianakis's mother on the new FX show, Baskets. 

• Like 2

Coincidentally, last night I came across a Reddit AMA with actor/comedian Louie Anderson which included the following response when asked what else he's been up to lately: 

"I'm in the process of putting together a project for the homeless in Las Vegas. Working with some people there to get a mobile bus where people can come wash their clothes, shower, and get things they need. Always have had a special place in my heart for people who have been displaced, because my brother lived on the streets for a while."

It would be great to see this kind of project expand all over the country.

BTW, he's currently doing a brilliant job playing Zach Galifianakis's mother on the new FX show, Baskets. 

That's great! I work with the homeless every day, which may account for my articles

here leaning in that direction - can't help it, I suppose. 

YAYYYY  Louie!

:)

• Like 2
America Strong: Stranger Raises $35k for Exonerated Prisoner

DATELINE - New York

April 29, 2014

By CATERINA ANDREANO

Digital News Associate via GOOD MORNING AMERICA, WORLD NEWS

JBl70Af.jpg

When Alex Sutaru heard the story of Jonathan Fleming, a Brooklyn man exonerated after doing nearly 25 years in a New York prison for a murder he didn't commit, he knew he had to act.

"This is somebody that wasn't guilty of a crime; he was wrongfully convicted," Sutaru said. "After the hell he's been through for the past 24 years he came out with a positive attitude and said he wants to live the rest of his life, go to school, be positive and today's the first day of the rest of my life."

Fleming had been freed three weeks ago by a key piece of evidence - a phone receipt in the case files all along that put him at Walt Disney World with his children when the murder was committed in New York.

Though his release was astounding and a long time coming, Fleming was returned with no home, no job and no money.

"I had about $93 in my account so that's all I was given when I got out of prison, $93," Fleming said. "I'm living from house to house with my cousins."

Amazingly, even after all of the hardship he endured, he expressed not one ounce of resentment.

After being asked how he could not be angry after such an ordeal, Fleming said, "I just have to move forward. I'm just so happy to be out and I don't want to live that way."

So Sutaru, a 32-year-old Wall Street banker, moved by Fleming's demeanor and his story, went online and created a fundraising campaign.

Within days the campaign raised nearly $35,000 from more than 600 people in 14 countries. The money will help Fleming afford a place to live and food to eat as well as get him on his feet while he looks for a job.

"I think people recognize that donating a little they can help this person integrate back into society and build a life for himself that was wrongly taken away from him," he said. "People are good. There is some bad out there but most people are good."

On Monday, Fleming and Sutaru met for the first time.

"I want to thank you, man, I really do, I want you to know that, it really means a lot that you did this for me," Fleming said. "You're a wonderful man to do this for me. I appreciate it."

"People, you know, I never thought they'd do this for me," he told ABC News. "I look at things really different now, I really do, I look at things real different."

• Like 1
44-Foot Rise Of Folsom Lake Offers Hope For California's Worst Ever Drought

DATELINE California

SFGate/Popular Mechanics - February 20, 2016

By Brandon Mercer

California lake levels are rising as fast as the stock market is falling, with Folsom Lake east of Sacramento rising an astonishing 44 feet in just over a month and Lake Oroville, the second most expansive water storage facility in the state rising another 20 feet.

Early December saw Folsom Lake, just off Highway 50 on the way up to South Lake Tahoe, dwindle to the hydrological equivalent of a mud puddle.

It reached its lowest levels since they started filling it up after building the dam of around 349 feet above sea level.

By today, it has risen over 44 feet to just under 393 feet above sea level.

The worst year previously was 1976-1977. Then, in fall of 1977, it began filling up again, following a trajectory that looks rather similar to what's happening right now.

And, to be clear, as you can see in the shaded aqua area in the graph above, the lake ALWAYS rises a hundred feet or much more every winter or spring. The difference is it was on a track similar to 1976-1977 of flatlining over the past years, and now it's getting the hoped-for rocket-like rise.

The real answers will be found by checking back in a month to see if the chart is still going upward, toward that normal trend line.

Photos and charts - HERE

Biker Rescues A Little Dog He Saw Being Beaten On The Side Of The Highway

DATELINE - near Cresson, Texas

February 20, 2016

Brandon Turnbow was riding his motorcycle to his father's house when he witnessed a little dog being abused on the side of the highway near Cresson, Texas.

" was riding out an saw a vehicle pulled over on 171 with a worthless piece of crap beating an innocent little white dog," Brandon wrote on Facebook. "I watched in my rear view and saw this guy throw the dog into the air curbside and drive off."

lH422f3.jpg

Brandon named his new pup Mr. Davidson since he already has a dog named Harley.

Brandon decided to use Mr. Davidson's story to spread awareness and help abused animals by starting "Baaang" (Bikers Against Animal Abuse National Global).

• Like 4

Thank you, Kid Dabb, for creating this thread!  I love all of the stories that have been posted so far, but the one about the man who planted all those flowers for his blind wife is definitely my favorite.

Waving Grandma Gets Valentine's Day Surprise from Local High School Kids

An elderly woman from Canada was showered with love last Friday after receiving tons of Valentines from the local school children she waves at every day.

Tinney Davidson, 86, has been greeting the students of Highland Secondary School in Comox Valley as they walked past her home for the last nine years, according to the school's art teacher Charlotte Hood-Tanner.

“She just doesn’t miss a minute waving at those kids," Hood-Tanner told ABC News. "She's lived in the community forever. She's very connected to the kids and she has all sorts of funny stories about them waving to her. She gets a kick out of it. She's a fireball, she's full of love, she's a ton of fun and I think it keeps her young."

Hood-Tanner said four of her students, Sina Berndt, Jessica Baldwin, Priya Dawadi and Sadie Cameron, approached her with the idea of doing something special for Tinney this Valentine's Day.

"There's this culture where the kids kind of know who she is and there's a whole generation of kids that never got to experience the recognition of Mrs. [Tinney] Davidson," Hood-Tanner said. "It was a great way to include a member of our community and celebrate her. It was amazing."

On Feb. 12, Hood-Tanner and 70 students gathered before school to offer Tinney hugs and decorate her front yard with Valentines made from milk jugs.

"I was overwhelmed," Tinney told ABC News. "I never expected it. Charlotte [Hood-Tanner] gave me a warning and I thought, 'Three or four kids, I can handle that,' and these children just kept on coming around the corner and I was flabbergasted."

"It was just lovely," she added. "The kids are so cute. I just love them to pieces. They're so much fun for me."

Tinney said she waves hello to the kids as they walk to school between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. From 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. she's welcoming them back after the school day.

"I sit here and have my coffee and they all wave," she said, laughing. "It's just incredible. I'm 86 years old, so I do a lot of sitting at my window."

Since receiving her Valentine's Day surprise, Tinney has written a letter to the kids at the high school, thanking them for the "outpouring of love."

As for how long she plans on keeping up her waving tradition, Tinney said it will continue "forever."

"As long as I can do it, I will be here at my window," she said.

HT_grandma_valentine2_cf_160216_4x3_992_

Link:  http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/waving-grandma-valentines-day-surprise-local-high-school/story?id=36977612

• Like 3

Brandon decided to use Mr. Davidson's story to spread awareness and help abused animals by starting "Baaang" (Bikers Against Animal Abuse National Global).

This is a good idea. And I think convicted animal abusers should be paid mandatory visits by the Hell's Angels.

• Like 2
Real-Life "Rosie the Riveter" Looks Back on Service

95-year-old will leave Boeing's Long Beach plant later this month

By Hetty Chang and Kelly Goff - NBC Los Angeles

Published at 4:56 PM PST on Nov 6, 2014

A Long Beach woman is heading to the nation's capitol this weekend to receive a very special award from the American Veterans Center.

Elinor Otto, 95, is one of the original "Rosie the Riveters" ...

Video and Article - HERE 

• Like 2
Tree House
Cats at Work Project
For the cats
--
for the community
Humane, Effective, Long
-
term Solutions
The Tree House Cats at Work Project is a “green”
humane program that removes sterilized and
vaccinated feral cats from life
-
threatening situations
and
relocates them to new territories where their presence
will help control the rodent population. The cats are
humanely managed by volunteer caretakers for the

entirety of their lives....

http://www.treehouseanimals.org/site/DocServer/Cats_at_Work_FactSheet.pdf?docID=322

• Like 2

Thank you, Kid Dabb, for creating this thread!  I love all of the stories that have been posted so far, but the one about the man who planted all those flowers for his blind wife is definitely my favorite.

Waving Grandma Gets Valentine's Day Surprise from Local High School Kids

An elderly woman from Canada was showered with love last Friday after receiving tons of Valentines from the local school children she waves at every day.

Tinney Davidson, 86, has been greeting the students of Highland Secondary School in Comox Valley as they walked past her home for the last nine years, according to the school's art teacher Charlotte Hood-Tanner.

“She just doesn’t miss a minute waving at those kids," Hood-Tanner told ABC News. "She's lived in the community forever. She's very connected to the kids and she has all sorts of funny stories about them waving to her. She gets a kick out of it. She's a fireball, she's full of love, she's a ton of fun and I think it keeps her young."

Hood-Tanner said four of her students, Sina Berndt, Jessica Baldwin, Priya Dawadi and Sadie Cameron, approached her with the idea of doing something special for Tinney this Valentine's Day.

"There's this culture where the kids kind of know who she is and there's a whole generation of kids that never got to experience the recognition of Mrs. [Tinney] Davidson," Hood-Tanner said. "It was a great way to include a member of our community and celebrate her. It was amazing."

On Feb. 12, Hood-Tanner and 70 students gathered before school to offer Tinney hugs and decorate her front yard with Valentines made from milk jugs.

"I was overwhelmed," Tinney told ABC News. "I never expected it. Charlotte [Hood-Tanner] gave me a warning and I thought, 'Three or four kids, I can handle that,' and these children just kept on coming around the corner and I was flabbergasted."

"It was just lovely," she added. "The kids are so cute. I just love them to pieces. They're so much fun for me."

Tinney said she waves hello to the kids as they walk to school between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. From 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. she's welcoming them back after the school day.

"I sit here and have my coffee and they all wave," she said, laughing. "It's just incredible. I'm 86 years old, so I do a lot of sitting at my window."

Since receiving her Valentine's Day surprise, Tinney has written a letter to the kids at the high school, thanking them for the "outpouring of love."

As for how long she plans on keeping up her waving tradition, Tinney said it will continue "forever."

"As long as I can do it, I will be here at my window," she said.

HT_grandma_valentine2_cf_160216_4x3_992_

Link:  http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/waving-grandma-valentines-day-surprise-local-high-school/story?id=36977612

Oh, I remember this story when it first aired.  It was lovely.

TCU students reserve 50 tickets so veteran families can watch baseball for free

DATELINE - Fort Worth, Texas

By Samantha Calimbahin @SamCalTCU  on Feb 21, 2016, 10:30a

A group of TCU students hopes to make Sunday's baseball game extra special for student veterans and their families.

Thanks to a public relations team run by TCU students, 50 tickets to Sunday's baseball game have been set aside just for the families of veterans who study at TCU.

The public relations team, Lila PR, is a group of students dedicated to raising awareness for the student veterans on TCU's campus and the Fort Worth community. The group put together a whole shindig for Sunday's contest against Loyola Marymount, which includes a veterans tailgate at 10:30 a.m. before the game at 11:30 a.m.

Then at the game, the daughters of two student veterans will be throwing the first pitch: 10-year-old Lily Howe, daughter of U.S. Army veteran William Howe, and 9-year-old Llanah Gonzalez, daughter of U.S. Marine Corps veteran Steven Gonzalez.

Now all that's needed is for the Horned Frogs to top off the day with a series win!

The group did a similar event at TCU's rugby game on Saturday.

Article - HERE

Instead of ‘Million Dollars in Tickets’ Cop Gives Helpful Advice,

Takes Boy Under His Cap

DATELINE - Baltimore, Md.

by Terry Turner - Feb 25, 2016

DGt8FiJ.jpg

When a Baltimore, Maryland woman saw police lights in her rearview mirror, she expected the worst but ended up writing an open letter praising the police officer.

Courtney Gross realized her tags were expired and figured she’d get “a million dollars in fines” but the officer not only told her how to fight the tickets in court, he asked if he could pose for a selfie with her son, Ty, after engaging him in conversation.

Here’s how she told the story on Facebook:

I got pulled over because my stickers are old and I need to renew my registration on my car.

The officer comes to my window and of course asks for my license and registration…..well little Ty starts talking to him.

Lol so as I’m digging for my registration, the officer asks me if I would roll down little Tys window so he can go talk to him.

I tell him that’s fine and I roll the window down….the whole time the cop has his flash light in his hand….you know how they do when they pull us over at night

Anyway Ty had just got a miniature light saber that lights up from the store earlier and the cop asked Ty did he wanna trade flash lights and they did and he showed him how to make his flash light blink really fast and Ty thought it was cool.

So I find my registration and I give it to him and he takes it back to his car and comes back a couple minutes later and this time he has his hat on.

Instead of towing my car and giving me a million dollars in fines, this guy gives me 2 tickets for a little over 100 dollars and then tells me NOT to pay them but to go to court so they can be reduced and explained every thing and every step to me.

Then gives me 2 warnings that could have been 2 more tickets as well, but he didnt hit me with them. Then proceeds to tell me that he had come back with his hat on for a reason and asked me if I would be okay with getting Ty out of the car and letting him wear his hat for a few seconds and take a picture with him!

I said that would be fine and I appreciated that, but my phone was dead.

So I take Ty out of his car seat and we go on the side walk and he’s wearing the officers hat and he loved it.

The officer then tells me that we can just take the picture with his phone and he would send it to me!

So we did and he sent it while I was standing right there and I watched him delete the text so he didn’t have my number in his phone and I didn’t even ask him to do that.

I really couldn’t believe how cool he was and how he really made my son’s night.

I thought for sure that my car was getting towed. I’ve had my fair share of run ins with some cops that are arrogant jerks and use their power in the wrong way, but this man showed me that there still are some nice police officers out there and there’s hope.

I don’t care how ignorant and rude police can be, I will NEVER teach or allow my children to disrespect the police…..because it will only make things worse for them. I’m really thankful for how this whole thing played out and I’m more than blessed to receive those 2 citations over my vehicle being taken away from me.

• Like 1
       They Clear Clutter With Online Auctions,

Give Money to Locals Down on Their Luck

DATELINE - Canada

by McKinley Corbley - Feb 26, 2016

Shelley Kohut and a team of volunteers have become social media philanthropists funding temporary financial needs in their Canadian community one Facebook auction at a time.

Ever since they started in 2013, Neighbors Helping Neighbors has provided ‘hand-ups’ – rather than handouts – to citizens struggling to pay the bills in Sundre, Alberta.

Town members donate household items to be auctioned off on their Facebook page with the proceeds going to residents in their town; this serves as a win-win for those who want to use their clutter for charity and for those who temporarily have a hard time paying a bill or affording gas money for a week or two.

Neighbors Helping Neighbors reveal they’ve done everything from giving food and gas cards to an elderly gentleman while his stolen identity was sorted out by the government, to adopting a family for Christmas when the head of household was off the job because of a surgery.

“[The hand-ups are] not to maintain a lifestyle — they are to help people who, in their normal lives, have hit some kind of hurdle, especially these days,” Kohut told the Sundre Roundup.

It all started when Kohut’s church pastor gave her $100 to pay forward in an act of kindness. The organization expanded to recruit more volunteers until there were two auctions a week raising $2,000 to $3,000 dollars a month.

Any community could do the same thing, and a quick google search turns up many ways to auction items on Facebook.

• Like 3

Thieves Return Blind Man’s Guide Dog with Note Asking, ‘Please forgive us’

A guide dog that was stolen from a blind masseur in Beijing was returned with a note from the dognappers asking its owner to "please forgive us".

The 7-year-old black Labrador, named Qiaoqiao, was stolen by an organized gang of dog thieves on Monday, the Beijing Public Security Bureau said on Tuesday.

The dog's owner, Tian Fengbo, 47, from Shunyi district, said a worker at Tian's massage establishment was walking Qiaoqiao on the street on Monday morning when the gang approached and took the dog.

"We don't use a leash for walking her around in the mornings," Tian said. Qiaoqiao was grabbed by the occupants of a silver van that was passing by.

The distraught owner called the police, and the Beijing Public Security Bureau immediately released information about the incident on its micro blog, hoping for public assistance. Local police also investigated.

Tian said the thieves sent the dog home secretly on Tuesday evening. "I burst into tears when I heard Qiaoqiao's voice," he said.

The thieves were still at large.

"I hope they will stop stealing dogs, no matter whether they are guide dogs or any other dogs," Tian said. "A dog is just a dog to them. But to the owner, it is a friend, or even a family member."

Guide dogs, often Labradors or golden retrievers, are sent to foster families as puppies for nearly a year of socialization. Dogs that show promise receive another year of training.

Tian said that while Qiaoqiao was missing, he dared not go out alone.

Tian met Qiaoqiao for the first time in 2010 at the China Guide Dog Training Center, the country's first and only guide dog training center. It is based at Dalian Medical University in Northeast China's Liaoning province.

After spending 20 days at the center training with Qiaoqiao, Tian brought the dog home.

He said that every time they crossed the road, Qiaoqiao would stop and check whether it was safe before crossing with Tian. "I felt brave and confident to go outside alone with Qiaoqiao by my side. I felt I was the same as any other person."

Tian said Qiaoqiao seemed nervous the first evening after she returned home. "But she is much better now and can eat or go outside as usual," he said.

Link:  http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/thieves-return-blind-mans-guide-dog-with-note-asking-forgiveness/

• Like 3
Cheerleader asks special needs student to prom in sweetest way possible

Alexandra Zaslow

TODAY - 3:47 PM EDT

Pics & Video  -  HERE

Jonathan Ramill, 22, has never attended a school dance before. But this April that will change, thanks to classmate Mikal Bartosik and a promposal that's gone viral.

On Jan. 29, Bartosik surprised Ramill, a special education student at Park Vista High School in Lake Worth, Florida, with a big cookie cake.

As soon as he read aloud what was written on the cake — "Will you go to prom with me?" — he yelled "yea!" and jumped for joy around the classroom.

"I decided to go with a cake for my promposal so that the entire class could be included," Bartosik told TODAY.

Two years ago Bartosik made friends with a boy named Eric, who also has special needs, and regularly visited him during lunch.

"He makes me laugh and is social, cool and fun to be around," Bartosik said. "I would go over to his table at lunch and it kind of just turned into a habit."

She grew close with all of Eric's lunch buddies, including Ramill.

"There are always going to be people who will make fun of things that you do, but it's how you react to them that matters," Bartosik said. "When I would get asked why I was sitting with 'those weird kids,' I'd just tell them how awesome they all are."

The 17-year-old varsity cheerleader has already been to two proms, during both her sophomore and junior years, so when Ramill showed interest in attending this year's event, she got his mom and teacher's approval to ask him.

"I had so much fun at prom the past two years, so I wanted to make someone else's experience as special as mine was," Bartosik said.

Bartosik already has her dress picked out for the April 9 event and plans to rent a limo for the night. She's opening the invitation to anyone who wants to join.

"My friends all love Jonathan and want him in their limo, but since I'm making the night all about him, I decided to get our own," Bartosik said.

• Like 1
Bucket list of memories: teen takes dying sister to dance

DATELINE - Sioux Falls, SD

Mon 11:07 PM, Feb 15, 2016

By: Bridget Bennett - KSFY ABC

Video & Pics - HERE

Sioux Falls, SD “What girl doesn't like to get all dressed up and beautiful,” mom Stephanie Spader said.

This Valentine’s Day, 10-year-old Rebekah Spader was transformed into a princess.

‘It's a lot of fun watching her, she's so excited and she's smiling,” Rebekah’s Dad Tony Spader said.

Rebekah’s princess evening was all thanks to her big brother AJ.

“I wanted to ask my sister because she's most likely not going to be able to experience high school. So I just thought why not ask her to formal,” AJ Spader said.

The Valentine's winter formal at O’Gorman High School could have been AJ’s first dance with a date.

“Ya, I guess but Rebekah kind of trumped them all,” AJ Spader said.

Instead, AJ came up with the plan to make sure Rebekah got to experience this important rite of passage.

“He's thinking about his sister and she's not going to get to go to the prom or the formal when she's in high school because she's probably not going to make it to high school, so he just wanted to give her that memory,” Tony Spader said.

AJ made sure Rebekah got the whole formal experience, bringing her to dinner with his classmates and their dates.

“It’s fun to watch her live part of life where the disease doesn't creep in, where she is just excited to be going and doing something that every child and every teenager gets to do,” Tony Spader said.

While the day may be all about his sister, it’s clear the evening is not just for Rebekah.

“Her laugh is pretty great, It’s really fun to just be around her and just make memories…I want to spend as much time with her as possible while she's still doing good,” AJ Spader said.

“A lot of times there's a joy filled moment, but yet there's a little sorrow because you know this is probably one of her last opportunities she's going to have to do something like this,” Tony Spader said.

Rebekah was diagnosed with MDS, pre-leukemia, several years ago. After a bone marrow transplant failed, the Spader family decided to forgo any further treatment. While the Spader family works to ensure Rebekah can live the rest of her life to the fullest, her illness often gets in the way.

After all of the fun at dinner Valentine’s night, Rebekah wasn't feeling up to going to the dance. But AJ says she still had plenty of time to enjoy a night with the older kids, dressed like a princess.

• Like 1
Mushroom Beehives Could Save Bees From Colony Collapse

DATELINE - Washington State

by Terry Turner - Mar 2, 2016

A mushroom farmer and a scientist have created a beehive containing fungi that might just be the key to saving the imperiled honey bee.

Farmer Paul Stamets started thinking there might be a possible relationship between his crop of mushrooms and bee health after he watched the insects in his garden eating the root-like filaments called mycelium.

With bee populations collapsing since the 1980s and threatening world food supplies, scientists are groping for answers. At least 61 culprits–from viruses to pesticides–are to blame, but one of the biggest threats is a mite that exploded on the scene in 1987.

The lifespan of the varroa destructor mite is so short-lived, it has been able to evolve and develop resistance to pesticides that have been previously able to control it.

Stamets launched a research project — backed by the National Institutes of Health and the Defense Department — that eventually allowed him to show that compounds in certain mushrooms can boost a bee’s immune system.

Their research so far has shown that mushrooms on certain trees frequented by bees in the Pacific Northwest actually can protect them from viruses. The mushroom nutrients also help bees break down harmful pesticides and chemicals. His next step was to go after the mites.

Stamets teamed up with Washington State University entomologist — and beekeeper — Steve Sheppard, and the two have been exploring the idea that mushrooms might be able to protect bees from the little parasites.

After identifying a species of mushroom — Metarhizium anisopliae — that appears to kill the varroa mites without hurting the bees, they are now testing beehives that contain the mushrooms that would create natural protection for colonies.

Stamets and Sheppard are dropping chunks of cardboard dusted with finely ground powder from the mushroom into standard bee boxes. As the bees rip out the clutter to better organize their hives, they cover themselves in the potentially mite-killing compounds.

They are working with one of Washington state’s largest beekeeping operations to see if their plan to build beehives from mushrooms will protect the vital pollinators.

“Nature leads us to solutions if we connect the dots, are open minded and think creatively,” Stamets told Crosscut. “We need to be innovative to create solutions that help tilt the balance to help bees, and ultimately us.

Related TCM thread - HERE

• Like 1
8-Yr-old Girl Uses Her Make-A-Wish To Inspire Global Movement

DATELINE - Kansas City, Missouri

by McKinley Corbley - Mar 3, 2016

This little girl decided to skip Disneyland and fairy tale reenactments to use her Make-A-Wish grant to become an environmental philanthropist.

After Amelia Meyer was diagnosed with brain cancer, the Missouri child said that her dream was to pick up huge amounts of trash in her Kansas City community.

Police officers, the Parks and Recreation Department, and volunteer fire fighters, all showed up to support Amelia’s clean-up effort. Kansas City’s Mayor Sly James was so impressed with the little girl’s charity, he named February 27th “Amelia Meyer’s Take Care Of The World Day”

When she arrived at the location, she was amazed at the turnout. “I thought there was just going to be some people, not this much!” Amelia told WDAF.Sleeping bag for homeless screenshot TheJournal

And the kindness doesn’t stop there, either.

The hashtag #AmeliasWish is trending all over social media of pictures and testimonials of people following Amelia’s inspiring example.

• Like 1
Scientists Find Cancer’s ‘Achilles Heel’

by Good News Network - Mar 4, 2016

Damien Sharkov 

Posted with permission from Newsweek

Researchers have developed a new cancer treatment that targets the “Achilles heel” of cancer cells and hope to test it in two year’s time, according to the journal Science.

Researchers from MIT, Harvard and University College London have found a way to locate unique markings within a cancerous tumor that allow the body’s immune system to target the disease.

One problem with developing vaccines to target cancer is that the malign cells are not identical but in fact heavily mutated.

“Many cancers are not standing still but they keep evolving constantly,” Dr. Marco Gerlinger of the Institute of Cancer Research told the BBC. “These are moving targets which makes it difficult to get them under control.”

Unlike previous attempts at developing cancer vaccines, researchers believe they have found a way to trace a tumor’s surface proteins, which are both the cause of cancerous mutation and a recurring “flag” in the constitution of a tumor.

Charles Swanton, a cancer expert who led the study, said that his team of researchers found that in some cases the immune system knew to target malignant cells based on these “flags” but was often too weak to do so.

“What we’ve found for the first time is that tumors essentially sow the seeds of their own destruction,” Swanton told the Guardian. “And that within tumors, there are immune cells that recognize those flags which are present in every tumor cell.”

The new treatment being developed would involve the creation of a kind of booster shot, made up after a biopsy of immune cells inside the tumor that recognize these flags. The cells would be multiplied in a lab, and then re-infused into the patient.

“This work is right on the cutting edge,” Swanton added. “The next stage will be to expand the approach to larger cohorts and to use it as part of clinical trials.”

• Like 1
In Historic Turn, CO2 Emissions Flatline in 2014, Even as Global Economy Grows

Forbes / Energy

MAR 13, 2015 @ 09:18 AM

A key stumbling block in the effort to combat global warming has been the intimate link between greenhouse gas emissions and economic growth. When times are good and industries are thriving, global energy use traditionally increases and energy-related carbon dioxide emissions also go up. Only when economies stumble and businesses shutter — as during the most recent financial crisis — does energy use typically decline, in turn bringing down planet-warming emissions.

But for the first time in nearly half a century, that synchrony between economic growth and energy-related emissions seems to have been broken, according to ...

Article - HERE

FedEx flies girl in need of liver transplant to Chicago in midst of snowstorm

Mar. 4, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Rebekah Lowin - TODAY

Before they even met their daughter, Brooklyn, now 2 years old, the Faris family knew they'd have some challenges ahead. But in their hour of greatest need, they likely didn't expect to have help of the most epic proportions.

"We adopted Brooklyn from China in January 2015," said Jesse Faris, her mother, in a phone interview with TODAY.com. "We knew ahead of time that she had liver failure, and that the orphanage wanted a family to get to her as soon as possible. We thought the Lord was telling us to go and take her."

Still, however fated they may have thought their adoption process was, the family didn't even know whether Brooklyn would even survive the process of adoption. They'd been told she had a 50 percent chance of living just four to six months.

The family got to her quickly, though, and immediately put her on the transplant waiting list at the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago. Though they hail from Memphis, Tennessee, their insurance didn't cover the surgery there.

After about a year on the list, Brooklyn was in stable condition, a fact her mother attributes to the great nutrition she's gotten here in the U.S. and the fact that she's no longer alone in an orphanage.

"We were surprised to get the call last Wednesday," said Faris, referring to the moment when the hospital telephoned to let them know an organ was available. "They told us there was going to be a blizzard and asked if we'd still come. I thought that was a ridiculous question, because, after all, who knew when another liver would come our way? We said we'd come no matter what it took, and began trying to find a way to get there."

Unfortunately, the hospital was right to be concerned. Flights into the city were canceled left and right, and the family's options to drive or reroute were quickly being dwindling as major highways, too, shut down.

Because several other patients on the waiting list were hoping to receive organs from the same person, the window of time that the Faris family had to get to Chicago was shortened dramatically.

But with nowhere to turn, the family made the tough decision to work on finding a chartered jet, which would cost them upwards of $10,000 and not even guarantee arrival at the right time.

That's when FedEx stepped in. "Our friend John had a connection that led him to the company," said Faris. "Apparently, they sometimes use corporate jets to help St. Jude (Children's Research Hospital) in really extreme emergency situations. The person who makes those decisions about who gets an emergency flight had the information about Brooklyn handed to her, and she said, 'Yeah, let's make that happen.'

"They said, 'Well, if they can get to the airport in 30 minutes, we can pick them up.' So that's what we did. We grabbed our stuff and went to the airport and they had a corporate jet waiting for us."

"It was the nicest flight I have ever been on," said Faris with a laugh. "I wish I could have enjoyed it more."

Meanwhile, little Brooklyn may not have had quite a solid grasp on exactly what was going on, but she was a good sport. "We were on the plane, and we told her, 'We're gonna go get a new liver!' And she said, 'New liver! Yay!'"

The family arrived in Chicago 12 hours before the surgery, which took place last Thursday. And Brooklyn's been doing remarkably well. "She's progressing and recovering so nicely," said Faris. "We're hoping to be free of most of our tubes and wires today."

An Instagram post shared by Faris yesterday shows Brooklyn relatively relaxed and alert at the hospital.

Article - HERE

After Lonely Couple Called Emergency Line, Police Stay For Tea

DATELINE - Manchester in England

by Terry Turner - Nov 16, 2015

A police constable in England prepared for the worst after receiving an

emergency call from a couple in their 90s.

But when Stu Ockwell and his partner from the Manchester Police Department showed up, they found no medical emergency–only a lonely couple who needed someone to talk to.

Fred Thomson is 95 years old and blind; his wife, Doris, who struggles alone to care for him, is also 95.

Constable Ockwell decided they did need help — someone to take the pressure off Doris and keep Fred company for a while. The bobby brewed up some tea then sat and chatted with them for half an hour, while Fred happily told stories about his service in World War II.

“He’s an amazing character and had us in fits of laughter,” Ockwell told ITV News. “It made my day.”

Joan Rivers’ Estate To Be Auctioned And Benefit Guide Dogs and the Ill

by Good News Network - Mar 9, 2016

Joan Rivers isn’t done contributing to the world just yet – the comedian’s private collection of artwork, gems, jewelry, and clothing from her Manhattan penthouse will be auctioned off this June, with part of the proceeds donated to two beloved charities.

Over 200 pieces of glamorous couture will be sold in a live auction in New York June 22, and another 80 pieces in a tandem online auction during that week. The two charities benefiting are God’s Love We Deliver–a delivery service for the ill operating in New York–and Guide Dogs For The Blind.

The auctions will be hosted by Christie’s, which has estimated the pieces in this collection to earn anywhere from $500 to $200,000 apiece.

“My mother’s legacy as a much loved comedienne and philanthropist will be commemorated in this collaboration with Christie’s, and her generosity to charitable causes is something I will continue in her honor,” Joan’s daughter Melissa announced in a press release.

Hollywood glamour will mingle among the decorative Fabergé art, paintings, and fine French furniture: a series of spectacular Bob Mackie gowns from her Las Vegas headliner years is sure to be a fan favorite.

Known as an animal lover, the most fun piece in the collection might be the Tiffany silver water bowl made for Joan’s beloved dog, engraved with the words, “for Spike”.

• Like 1