Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I read today that Rob Zombie will be hosting a weekly cult horror movie on TCM and some of the movies he picked are by Ed Wood, Russ Meyer and Universal Studios.

I think it will make a pretty interesting addition to TCM, and we will get a chance to see some films that may not have been shown.

I am looking forward to it, TCM!

No, it's true. I read a TCM press release.

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is taking a walk on the wild side as it welcomes auteur filmmaker and legendary rocker Rob Zombie as the host of the network?s newest weekly movie showcase, TCM UNDERGROUND. The late-night franchise, which will feature off-the-wall movies chosen and introduced by Zombie, is set to launch in October.

?TCM UNDERGROUND will serve as home to some of the truly visionary cult films that have been made over the past century, from stylish horror movies to offbeat black comedies,? said Tom Karsch, executive vice president and general manager for TCM. ?We are proud to have a talent like Rob Zombie hosting this showcase, which is certain to broaden TCM?s appeal beyond our loyal core audience.?

Among the movies set to be featured in the TCM UNDERGROUND are Suzuki Seijun?s stylish Yakuza flick Tokyo Drifter, horror master George Romero?s The Crazies, Ed Wood?s Bride Of The Monster and Francis Coppola?s creepy Dementia 13, as well as Leonard Castle?s offbeat The Honeymoon Killers, the story of which also serves as the basis for the new thriller Lonely Hearts, starring John Travolta, James Gandolfini, Salma Hayek, Jared Leto and Laura Dern.

Guarantee you he'll show us WHITE ZOMBIE & THE ISLAND OF LOST SOULS with Lugosi.

Rob Zombie is the World's #1 Horror movie fan, so this should really cool.

I've seen him concert twice...crazy shows-cool guy.

I think this is a great idea. I almost introduced a "Saturday Midnight Movies" as a regular weekly feature in my last TCM program challenge, to show this kind of snuff ... I mean, stuff. Could it be ... could H.G. Lewis's "2000 Maniacs" finally be coming to TCM? To think, of all the Roger Corman stuff that's ripe for the pickin'. I was going to propose that Forrest J. Ackerman host my weekly staple. Now he's the number one horror fan, and a legend unto himself.

If you woke up to watch the Illuminati on A&E at 2 AM the other night, please tell me you were up for Superfly last night.

Just think, with this underground show that Rob Zombie is hosting, he may show Divine eat poodle poop, so that you can save your "Pink Flamingos: Director's Cut Extended Version Limited Edition Olympic Gold in Widequeen" DVD, from all that wear and tear.

Brought to you by the makers of Absolut ... "When you absolutely need to be absolute (please drink responsibly)."

MattHelm,

A few minutes ago, I was laying on the couch thinking about this Rob Zombie thing and the name "2000 Maniacs" popped into my thoughts. I turned on my computer to look at the "Zombie movies" (check for "2000 Maniacs"), but before schedule check I looked at this thread and...there was your "2000 Maniacs" message. I am not joking about the--"'2000 Maniacs' popped into my thoughts".

Why do I know anything about "2000 Maniacs"? I read a synopsis of the movie in my old video catalog--"2000 Maniacs" sounds like a great bit of trash. I even checked Netflix a couple of months ago for "2000 Maniacs"...nope. Why no Netflix stock? Not on DVD?

Okay. First...I will re-foil my hat, and replace the hat on my head and be back to check Rob's picks.

BTW: Rob Zombie? I saw a "Rob Zombie Signature" guitar in an instruments catalog a couple of years ago. In addition to a director of films, he's a musician? I know--'google' Mr. Zombie.

Rusty

MattHelm,

Quote:

"If you woke up to watch the Illuminati on A&E at 2 AM the other night, please tell me you were up for Superfly last night."

The only movie I will ever get out of bed (without external, uhm...prodding) to watch at 3:00 A.M. (central time). The movie was even better than I had remembered--HBO...ten to fifteen years ago. I had completely forgotten about Superfly's partner, Eddie (Carl Lee).

Quote from IMDB:

Eddie: You're gunna give all this up? Eight Track Stereo, color T.V. in every room, and can snort a half a piece of dope everyday?! That's the American Dream...

Rusty

What did I tell ya when Don Knotts died (and remember, I said something about Widmark in June)? I have the gift. Yes, Zombie is a musician, though I've never heard his stuff unless it was on the soundtracks of his movies. If you haven't seen his flicks, you might get a kick out of them. I did. Maniacs might be on DVD. Sometimes even imdb.com doesn't list things that are on DVD if it's a public domain thing. I haven't seen it, but next time you're at a mall, pop into a DVD store and check the bargain racks for one of those double features of schlock films that sometimes call themselves Drive-In flicks for under $10. You just might find it.

2000 Maniacs is hilarious, and gory. The band 10,000 Maniacs named themselves after the movie, though I don't know why they raised the ante up 500%.

Eddie: You're gunna give all this up? Eight Track Stereo, color T.V. in every room, and can snort a half a piece of dope everyday?! That's the American Dream...

Ha, good ol' Eddie. The American Dream today is an MP3 player, Plasma TV in every room, and ... well at least Eddie's third point hasn't changed.

MattHelm,

Quote:

"well at least Eddie's third point hasn't changed"

True, but what is "half a piece"...a lot?

I would like to have Zombie program Georges Franju's "Eyes Without A Face". I watched 15 minutes of the movie on television when I was a kid (yes...it was an 'over the air' broadcast item) before Dad said, "John...no more of that (movie)...turn the dial to the other station". I am not sure, but I think he "suggested" turning the dial during a face removal(?).

Rusty

Since this movie is on a Criterion Colletction DVD, I'd like to see it in the regualr programming, even if it's an Import. I can understand your father's point though. In the mid 70s when I was living in Maine, we had just subscribed to HBO and one of the first movies on there was The Exorcist. My mother told me that I probably shouldn't watch it, but I told her that I most likely have seen worse. I was about seven years old, and my parents were pretty liberal, so they let me watch it. I got through the first half, but when the pea soup hit the fan I ran out of the room. That voice was what got to me. I ended up sleeping in my brother's room for two weeks because I had nightmares. I still can't watch that movie.

Be glad you only watched 15 minutes of Les yeux sans visage.

MattHelm,

Quote:

"Be glad you only watched 15 minutes of Les yeux sans visage"

Why? If the movie is a Criterion disk that automatically makes it a must-see classic...right?

While I am writing about Criterion, a brief story. I received two Netflix disks the same day--the Alan Ladd movie--"This Gun For Hire" and the french movie--"Le Samourai". "Le Samourai" is a Criterion DVD and includes several "extras". One essay (on the DVD) regarding "Le Samourai" notes that Le Samourai's director--Jean-Pierre Melville had the film "This Gun For Hire" in mind writing the script for "Le Samourai". Now, I may have added the two films to my Netflix queue at the same time (you know, "if you liked blah-blah-blah...you will like blah-blah"), but I mix up the order of my Netflix queue constantly. Don't you think it is strange to receive (and watch one week apart) two movies that have this, uh...big time connection?

BTW: Something related to the topic. I would like to see TCM broadcast Corman's 1957 version of "Not Of This Earth". The limited release DVD I bought was made from an unrestored 16mm print. The DVD video was too dark to appreciate Corman's movie. I would like a good look at those cue-ball eyes...dammit!

Rusty

Les yeux sans visage, is worthy of a Criterion release, I just meant that you could have been scarred for life had you watched it as a kid. Much like the hairs still stand up on my neck when I hear that voice in the Exorcist.

It is strange that you got the two films a week apart. Maybe it's fate's way of saying, it's not too late to fulfill your dreams of becoming a hitman. I myself, would go with Alain Delon's methodical, robotic-like approach. I wonder if John Carpenter had Le Samourai in mind when he wrote the script for Halloween.

That would be great if TCM ran Not of this Earth. I only saw it once when I was a kid on a local channel's Creatur Double Feature, that was on every Saturday afternoon. All I remember is the guy with white eyes ... wait, did this have those bat creatures that stuck things in the back of people's necks and they were controlled by the alien? I know Corman made this movie with the bats twice, It Conquered the World was one of them, was NOTE the other? There's a movie that is burning a hole in my brain that I can't remember the name of that was either a Corman, or Corman-esque. It was about the same time as NOTE, and had this glowing white, blonde alien woman that could kill people with her touch. They showed her walking through the woods a lot and people were running from her, yet she never broke out of her walking pace. The glow effect made her slightly blurry. Do you know the name of this movie?