Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi! 

I pray someone can help me. I have been writing a huge magnum opus called, "Marion's Daughter, Carol" for the past 5 years. My bio is on Google+ and YouTube. 

It's so frustrating. Almost a year ago, I turned on the TV to TCM just catching the ending of one of James A. Fitzpatrick's Voice of the Globe, or Travel Talks IN COLOUR shorts. His voice was unmistakable. I spied out of the corner of my little eye, an immigrant ship going down the St. Lawrence River to Quebec's Port of Call. So it HAD to be 1953 because that is the only year the MS Fairsea arrived in Canada at Quebec's Port of Calls - including Montreal.

I have an incredible memory, and remember hearing Fitzpatrick say, "The passengers are amazed at the picturesque, colourful rooftops. They have never seen anything like that before."

I have exhausted every resource I could find looking for this video short.  

It is not "Quebec in Summertime (1949)" or "Quaint Quebec (1936)." I don't see it on TCM list of short documentaries. 

I have tried everything on the net. I have even written the Historical Society of Quebec, and its Tourism board to no avail.

Apparently, the colours of the buildings and houses' rooftops were regulated. 

If anyone can help, I would be so entirely grateful.

Thank you so very, very much

Chall

Chall, you are probably correct that SOMETHING was shown on TCM that was filmed in 1953 Quebec.

FitzPatrick left MGM in 1953, but his last films for that studio were shot in 1952 in Germany and Denmark. After producing a short Picturesque Portugal for Warner Brothers (still not aired on TCM for some strange reason even though TCM has the rights to that one), he signed with Paramount for a couple of "VistaVision Visits" done in 1954 and '55, but these were not done in Canada.

Yet one thing that does get tricky is that many travelogues (and you can see this in the Shorties Lists covering MGM, Paramount and Warner here) were not released the same year they were filmed. So something that was released years after 1953 could also qualify here... and with somebody who sounds exactly like FitzPatrick even if it isn't him.

TCM has also shown a few Canadian travelogues made by Douglas Sinclair for both RKO and Warner Brothers. Two that get shown quite a bit are:

Canadian Carnival, but its Quebec setting is wintertime and it likely was filmed the same year it was released: 1955. Also it is in black and white.

Kingdom Of The Saguenay, was released in 1964 and, going by the cars and fashions, was filmed mostly in 1962 or '63. I say mostly... because I would not be surprised, with all of Sinclair's work in Canada stretching back to World War II that he could have easily slipped stuff from the fifties there. You know... this just MIGHT be your film...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2096513/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

It was a nightmare trying to get back in here. I wish someone would have emailed me the answer or link back here. I can't find anyway to watch Kingdom of the Saguenay. I'm frustrated beyond belief. [...]

Edited by TCMModerator1
Removed personal information from post
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi! 

I pray someone can help me. I have been writing a huge magnum opus called, "Marion's Daughter, Carol" for the past 5 years. My bio is on Google+ and YouTube. 

It's so frustrating. Almost a year ago, I turned on the TV to TCM just catching the ending of one of James A. Fitzpatrick's Voice of the Globe, or Travel Talks IN COLOUR shorts. His voice was unmistakable. I spied out of the corner of my little eye, an immigrant ship going down the St. Lawrence River to Quebec's Port of Call. So it HAD to be 1953 because that is the only year the MS Fairsea arrived in Canada at Quebec's Port of Calls - including Montreal.

I have an incredible memory, and remember hearing Fitzpatrick say, "The passengers are amazed at the picturesque, colourful rooftops. They have never seen anything like that before."

I have exhausted every resource I could find looking for this video short.  

It is not "Quebec in Summertime (1949)" or "Quaint Quebec (1936)." I don't see it on TCM list of short documentaries. 

I have tried everything on the net. I have even written the Historical Society of Quebec, and its Tourism board to no avail.

Apparently, the colours of the buildings and houses' rooftops were regulated. 

If anyone can help, I would be so entirely grateful.

Thank you so very, very much

Chall

Did you check with the National Film Board of Canada? If you are based in Canada, then I assume you have but you don't state your position and if you are in the USA, then you might not be familiar with the NFB.

I am pretty sure that if you contact them online through their info 'contact', they will search their archives for you,

Good luck