Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am a big Hitchcock fan.  I've seen nearly all of his movies, including titles that you never think of off the top of your head.

What are your favourite Hitchcock movies, artists, sub-genres, movies with frequent stars, movies based upon books, and really any aspect of Hitchcock in general?

I'll start with his most frequent male stars and my favourite movie of all time.  Then I'll look at different aspects on different days so that it is a long running thread but not one where I am posting several pots in one day with no replies in between etc.

My favourite Hitchcock movie of all time is Rear Window. 

He worked with two male stars 4 times each - James Stewart and Cary Grant

James Stewart 4 Movies: Rear Window is my favourite.

Cary Grant 4 movies: North By Northwest is my favourite.

Among character actors, Hitchcock made the most movies with Leo G. Carroll.  My favourite of his collaborations with Hitchcock is Spellbound.

• Like 2

I like so many of them. In fact, there are very few that I didn't like at all. I guess I'm particularly fond of :

Psycho

The Birds

Strangers On a Train

Shadow of a Doubt

Notorious

Rear Window

Foreign Correspondent

Rebecca

To Catch a Thief

Vertigo

North By Northwest

Frenzy

The 39 Steps

• Like 2

I like so many of them. In fact, there are very few that I didn't like at all. I guess I'm particularly fond of :

Psycho

The Birds

Strangers On a Train

Shadow of a Doubt

Notorious

Rear Window

Foreign Correspondent

Rebecca

To Catch a Thief

Vertigo

North By Northwest

Frenzy

The 39 Steps

Because I do not own a copy of the movie and it does not air in Canada, it has been a few year since I saw Foreign Correspondent. 

Interesting thing about me and the first two movies you list.  I thought that Hitchcock made horror movies specifically because I had seen famous scenes of The Birds and Psycho and since I am not a fan of the horror genre, had not seen any films of the director. 

Then Raymond Burr died.  He is my favourite Canadian-born actor of all-time and I loved watching Perry Mason.  I had seen him in several movies and I knew he hated always playing the bad guy in movies and that Rear Window was the only big screen movie he was proud of making.  I decided that I could not consider myself a true fan of Raymond Burr and not see Rear Window.

I became a big fan of everyone involved.  I started watching Hitchcock movies with the same artists in Rear Window and went on from there.

Eventually I saw Rear Window on the big screen in Vancouver.  It is the only time I have seen a Hitchcock movie on the big screen.  It was glorious.

I find I am not able to watch Vertigo like I used to watch it.  It is fabulous, but due to what happens to Scotty I have been unable to watch it since certain tragic things have happened in my life.

Among Hitchcock movies I've yet to see, the most famous is his version of The Lodger.

• Like 2

Favorite male performances & stars (most) not mentioned, chronologically (more or less):

Ivor Novello in "The Lodger" (1926).

Herbert Marshall in "Murder!" (1930) & "Foreign Correspondent" (1940)--FC is favorite performance.

Robert Cummings in "Saboteur" (1942)--an actor usually cast in comedies, Universal forced his casting, and Cummings turned out to be very good.

Gregory Peck in "The Paradine Case" (1947)--Underestimated film and performances.

Charles Laughton in "The Paradine Case" (1947)--Overacted with a Reason--more tomorrow.

James Stewart in "Rear Window" (1954) & "The Man Who Knew Too Much"(1956)--Favorite JS performance.

Peter Fonda in "Family Plot" (1976)--Lightweight film was Hitchcocks' last; Peter Fonda was a fine comedian/actor for FP, IMHO.

Favorite film is "Notorious" (1946).

• Like 2

Favorite male performances & stars (most) not mentioned, chronologically (more or less):

Ivor Novello in "The Lodger" (1926).

Herbert Marshall in "Murder!" (1930) & "Foreign Correspondent" (1940)--FC is favorite performance.

Robert Cummings in "Saboteur" (1942)--an actor usually cast in comedies, Universal forced his casting, and Cummings turned out to be very good.

Gregory Peck in "The Paradine Case" (1947)--Underestimated film and performances.

Charles Laughton in "The Paradine Case" (1947)--Overacted with a Reason--more tomorrow.

James Stewart in "Rear Window" (1954) & "The Man Who Knew Too Much"(1956)--Favorite JS performance.

Peter Fonda in "Family Plot" (1976)--Lightweight film was Hitchcocks' last; Peter Fonda was a fine comedian/actor for FP, IMHO.

Favorite film is "Notorious" (1946).

I don't remember Peter Fonda being in Family Plot.  Are you thinking of Bruce Dern?

Thanks for your list.  I love Notorious too.

• Like 1

MORE FAVOURITE MOVIES WITH FREQUENT MALE STARS IN HITCHCOCK: 2 or more films

Gregory Peck in Spellbound

Robert Cummings in Saboteur

Charles Laughton in Jamaica Inn

John Forsythe in The Trouble With Harry

Farley Granger in Strangers on a Train

• Like 1

My favorite Hitchcock films:

Rear Window

To Catch a Thief

Notorious

Dial M For Murder

Saboteur

Psycho

The Birds

I've seen a few of Hitchcock's films on the big screen: Psycho, The Birds, North By Northwest, Saboteur and Rear Window.  

• Like 1

My favorite performances in Hitchcock films:

Robert Cummings in Dial M For Murder

Claude Rains in Notorious

Cary Grant in Suspicion

Grace Kelly in Rear Window

Ingrid Bergman in Notorious

Henry Fonda in The Wrong Man

The Birds in The Birds

Anthony Perkins in Psycho

• Like 1

Favorite Hitchcock films:

Psycho 

The Birds

These first two are my top two.  I realize how 'cliche' my choices might look, but really, these films are iconic for valid reasons. They are frightening, haunting, brilliant, capture the imagination, and (as in a film like Psycho), give you a lot to chew on psychologically.

The best of the rest (no order):

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (comedy wasn't Hitch's forte but Carole Lombard made it better than it deserved to be)

Suspicion (keeps you engaged, but ugh, that clunker of an ending!)

Strangers on a Train (classic...)

Dial M for Murder (Ray Milland was great at being devious and clever, loved his intense facial expressions; Grace Kelly kind of faded into the woodwork for me and I found Robert Cummings to be a little restrained)

I Confess (Montgomery Clift shows off his considerable acting chops)

The Wrong Man

Honorable Mention:

Lifeboat (where else can you see Tallulah Bankhead and William Bendix in the same movie!)  ;)

• Like 4

My favorite Hitchcock films:

Rear Window

To Catch a Thief

Notorious

Dial M For Murder

Saboteur

Psycho

The Birds

I've seen a few of Hitchcock's films on the big screen: Psycho, The Birds, North By Northwest, Saboteur and Rear Window.  

Lucky you to have seen several on the big screen!

• Like 3

Favorite Hitchcock films:

Psycho 

The Birds

These first two are my top two.  I realize how 'cliche' my choices might look, but really, these films are iconic for valid reasons. They are frightening, haunting, brilliant, capture the imagination, and (as in a film like Psycho), give you a lot to chew on psychologically.

The best of the rest (no order):

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (comedy wasn't Hitch's forte but Carole Lombard made it better than it deserved to be)

Suspicion (keeps you engaged, but ugh, that clunker of an ending!)

Strangers on a Train (classic...)

Dial M for Murder (Ray Milland was great at being devious and clever, loved his intense facial expressions; Grace Kelly kind of faded into the woodwork for me and I found Robert Cummings to be a little restrained)

I Confess (Montgomery Clift shows off his considerable acting chops)

The Wrong Man

Honorable Mention:

Lifeboat (where else can you see Tallulah Bankhead and William Bendix in the same movie!)  ;)

Oh, I don't mind at all how "Cliche' the choices may be.  I  am not afraid to say that most of favourite movies of artists are those that are named by others as their favourites too.

Oh, I don't mind at all how "Cliche' the choices may be.  I  am not afraid to say that most of favourite movies of artists are those that are named by others as their favourites too.

True, I see what you mean...  But I didn't want to look like one of those posters who say that their favorite all-time classic movie is Gone With the Wind, lol... ;)

• Like 1

FAVOURITE ONE TIME ONLY HITCHCOCK ACTRESSES:

Janet Leigh in Psycho

Doris Day in The Man Who Knew Too Much

Eva Marie Saint in North By Northwest

Talulah Bankhead in Lifeboat

Nova Pilbeam in Young and Innocent

Jane Wyman in Stage Fright

Kim Novack in Vertigo

Carole Lombard in Mr. and Mrs. Smith

• Like 1

BERNARD HERRMAN:

Hitch and this wonderful composer collaborated on films for several year and even made a cameo as himself in the remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

What are your favourite scores of their films together?

Feel free to talk about your favourite scores of this composer outside of his Hitchcock films in a separate list.

BERNARD HERRMAN:

Hitch and this wonderful composer collaborated on films for several year and even made a cameo as himself in the remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

What are your favourite scores of their films together?

Feel free to talk about your favourite scores of this composer outside of his Hitchcock films in a separate list.

My Favourite  3 Bernard Herrman  scores for Hitchcock are, in order of preference:

1. Psycho

2. North By Northwest

3. Vertigo

BERNARD HERRMAN:

Though Bernard Herrmann scored quite a number of films and shows in his career, the one theme that stands out for me, my favorite of all time by him, is the music for the episode "Walking Distance" in The Twilight Zone series.  Haunting and achingly poignant:

I particularly love the section that starts at around the 10:44 mark...

• Like 3

GregoryPeckfan--sorry to be late replying: yes, I was thinking of Bruce Dern in "Family Plot" (1976); thanks for the correction.  :)

Now, about Charles Laughton in "The Paradine Case" (1947); Yes he hammed it up, but he also helped secure Ethel Barrymore a Best Supporting Actress nomination.  She had only two or three scenes, but she painted a vivid and pitiable picture of a mentally abused wife in maybe ten minutes of film.  With the miles of film that was shot, Barrymore probably had scenes cut from the film.  I prefer to think Laughton overacted to get Barrymore a Academy Award nomination, instead of overacting without purpose.

Besides Ethel Barrymore, other favorite female performances in Hitchcock films:

Ingrid Bergman in "Notorious" (1946) and "Under Capricorn" (1949).

Grace Kelly in "To Catch a Thief" (1955) & "Rear Window" (1954).

Tippi Hedren in "The Birds" (1963) & "Marnie" (1964)--Hedren gave graceful performances in both films under stressful circumstances.

Nova Pilbeam in "Young and Innocent" (TCM title is "The Girl Was Young") (1937).

• Like 2

Though Bernard Herrmann scored quite a number of films and shows in his career, the one theme that stands out for me, my favorite of all time by him, is the music for the episode "Walking Distance" in The Twilight Zone series.  Haunting and achingly poignant:

I particularly love the section that starts at around the 10:44 mark...

That is gorgeous.  I'm glad you included the link and luckily I was allowed to play it in Canada.  Some things on youtube we cannoy play here.

Bernard Herrman was the person I had in mind when I included the word "collaborator' in the title of this thread. 

• Like 1

That is gorgeous.  I'm glad you included the link and luckily I was allowed to play it in Canada.  Some things on youtube we cannoy play here.

Bernard Herrman was the person I had in mind when I included the word "collaborator' in the title of this thread. 

If you see this episode as you hear the music, everything really comes to life, and moves you deeply.

But back to Hitch - did Herrmann score the shower scene in "Psycho"?  That would probably be one of his movie masterpieces in terms of familiarity and "famousness" (I know, not a real word!).  As soon as you hear the first few bars of it, your hair stands on end, lol...

• Like 1