Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LawrenceA--Do you have a copy of "The Pleasure Garden" (1925), which was Hitchcock's first film?  It's available on YT and Vimeo, last time I checked.  Also, his 1930 film "Murder!" is available on YT--good beginning and end, but middle of film is slowish.

• Like 1

I have an Alfred Hitchcock DVD set 

I realize that this post may seem to be a brag. It wasn't meant to be. I was just letting you know that such a thing exists. The up side is that it's cheap. The down side is that these are all public domain titles, so the quality varies. I got it originally because it was so cheap, and it was a way to see those early silents. Since then I have obtained the Criterion editions of The 39 Steps and The Man Who Knew Too Much, and a better copy of Sabotage.

• Like 2

LawrenceA--Do you have a copy of "The Pleasure Garden" (1925), which was Hitchcock's first film?  It's available on YT and Vimeo, last time I checked.  Also, his 1930 film "Murder!" is available on YT--good beginning and end, but middle of film is slowish.

Yes, the first was part of some other box set I had of various PD titles. Murder I may have taped off of TCM.

I AGREE FILM LOVER.

Honestly, I thought that after  Lawrence responded to my post about Young and Innocent not being a film he remembered and I posted about that movie that he was responding with the fact that he had access to the film after all. 

I set up this thread so that people who love Hitch would have a thread that would not get lost in general discussions as I cannot be the only one who considers him a favourite director.

I have 22 movies by the director on VHS or DVD.

• Like 1

Other than the ones I mentioned, I also have Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion, Saboteur, Spellbound, Notorious, Rope, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, Vertigo, North By Northwest, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie,  and Frenzy on DVD. I have Lifeboat on VHS. And I have Rebecca and Shadow of a Doubt on Blu-Ray.

• Like 2

In preparation of the 1938 year coming up on Sunday in Bogie's Favourite Performances Thread, here is my own category of Hitchcock nominees and winner;

BEST PERFORMANCE IN A HITCHCOCK MOVIE, MALE OR FEMALE;

Michael Redgrave in The Lady Vanishes

Dame Mae Whiity in The Lady Vanishes

Margaret Lockwood in The lady Vanishes

Paul Lukas in The Lady Vanishes

Combined the two British gents obsessed with Cricket from The lady Vanishes

WINNER:

DAME MAE WHITTY IN THE LADY VANISHES

In preparation of the switch in Bogie's thread to 1939, here is my own special category devoted to Hitchcock:

FAVOURITE HITCHCOCK PERFORMANCE, MALE OR FEMALE:

CHARLES LAUGHTON IN JAMAICA INN

MAUREEN O'HARA IN JAMAICA INN  - debut year

LESLIE BANKS IN JAMAICA INN

WYLIE WATSON IN JAMAICA INN

ROBERT NAUGHTON IN JAMAICA INN

WINNER:

MAUREEN O'HARA IN JAMAICA INN

• 2 weeks later...

Hitchcock made two classic movies in 1940:

Rebecca and Foreign Correspondent - both are excellent.

Unfortunately, TCM Canada does not own the rights to air F.C. in Canada and I don't own a copy of it.

It is one of my favourite movies of 1940, but it regards to Bogie56's thread, I have not seen the movie recently enough to remember anyone enough other than Joel McCrea and George Sanders.

Since George Sanders appears in both movies and is fabulous in both movies, George Sanders is my favourite actor performance in a Hitchcock movie male or female.

The other nominees besides McCrea and Sanders were all from Rebecca;

Laurence Olivier

Joan Fontaine

Judith Anderson

Nigel Bruce

Reginald Denny

1941  Hitchcock movies;

In preparation for the switch to 1941 movies in Bogie56's Favourite Performances Thread

Hitchcock made 2 movies in 1941: Suspicion, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is a comedy not to be confused with the recent Pitt/Jolie movie. The second film is NOT a remake.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith starred Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery.  Hitch wanted to work with Lombard and she was a comedy actress. So he did the only straight  comedy - no deaths - of his career.  He planned to eventually do a suspense film with her but death intervened.

Here are my nominees for my FAVOURITE HITCHCOCK PERFORMANCE, MALE OR FEMALE:

Carole Lombard in Mr. and Mrs.Smith

Robert Montgomery in Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Cary Grant in Suspicion

Joan Fontaine in Suspicion

Nigel Bruce in Suspicion

Leo G. Carrol in Suspicion

WINNER:

NIGEL BRUCE IN SUSPICION -

It is my favourite Nigel Bruce performance

• 2 weeks later...

In the Favourite Performances thread we are looking at 1942.  Norman Lloyd is my choice for my favourite Hitchcock performance, male or female for SABATEUR.

First runner up is leading man Robert Cummings.

Second runner up is leading lady Priscilla Lane

I am looking forward to seeing the interview Norman Lloyd gave at last year's festival when it airs later this year.

Hitchcock`s personal favourite among his movies was SHADOW OF A DOUBT from 1943.

Looking at a family in a small town who unknown to them is related to the Merry Widow Murderer, this film saw Joseph Cotten play Uncle Charlie to Little Charlie played by Teresa Wright.

This film is Hitchcockian noir.

The Favourite Performances thread that Bogie56 started will be switching to 1943 on Sunday.

Because Hitch is my favourite director of all time, I have been posting among my categories outside Best Actress, Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress my favourite Hitchcock performance, male or female.

My choice for 1943 is JOSEPH COTTEN.

Other nominees from Shadow of a Doubt for me are:

Teresa Wright

Hume Cronyn

Macdonald Carey

Henry Travers

Wallace Ford

Patricia Collinge

• Like 1

1944 Movie: LIFEBOAT

Bogie56 will be switching to 1944 in his Favourite Performances Thread on Sunday.

Hitchcock made Lifeboat in 1944 and made his cameo appearance in an ad for weight loss in a newspaper.

The movie revolves around people who make it aboard a Lifeboat after their ship is sunk by the Germans - one of whom is German himself.

Here are my nominees for my special category: FAVOURITE PERFORMANCE IN A HITCHCOCK FILM, MALE OR FEMALE:

Tallulah Bankhead

Joan Hodiak

Canada Lee

William Bendix

Hume Conyn

Walter Slezak

WINNER:

JOHN HODIAK,  narrowly inching out his love interest Tallulah Bankhead.

• Like 1

Hitchcock`s personal favourite among his movies was SHADOW OF A DOUBT from 1943.

Looking at a family in a small town who unknown to them is related to the Merry Widow Murderer, this film saw Joseph Cotten play Uncle Charlie to Little Charlie played by Teresa Wright.

This film is Hitchcockian noir.

The Favourite Performances thread that Bogie56 started will be switching to 1943 on Sunday.

Because Hitch is my favourite director of all time, I have been posting among my categories outside Best Actress, Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress my favourite Hitchcock performance, male or female.

My choice for 1943 is JOSEPH COTTEN.

Other nominees from Shadow of a Doubt for me are:

Teresa Wright

Hume Cronyn

Macdonald Carey

Henry Travers

Wallace Ford

Patricia Collinge

For my 1943 Choices in the Favourite Performances Thread, all 4 of my main acting choices came from the movie Shadow of a Doubt.

Best Actor: Joseph Cotten was my choice

Best Actress: Teresa Wright was my choice

Best Supporting Actor: Hume Cronyn was my choice

Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Collinge was my choice

Most people in the thread mentioned Shadow of a Doubt at least once.

• 2 weeks later...

FAVOURITE HITCHCOCK PERFORMANCE FOR 1945, MALE OR FEMALE:

SPELLBOUND  was released in 1945.  Tomorrow, Bogie56 will switch the Favourite Performances Thread from 1944 to 1945.

I like to have a separate category for Hitchcock among my unique Non-Main acting categories.

Here are my nominees for my favourite performance in a 1945 Hitchcock film - big surprise who the winner is?

not really:

INGRID BERGMAN

GREGORY PECK

LEO G. CARROLL

RHONDA FLEMING

MICHAEL CHECKOV

WINNER:

Gregory Peck in Spellbound

(I know. Shocking.)