Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thousands of used @@@@@@s found in Lake Ontario

TORONTO - Lake On-toilet?

Mark Mattson, of the Lake Ontario Waterkeeper, said he and two associates were in a boat about a kilometre from the Ashbridges Bay Wastewater Treatment Plant Friday afternoon when they came across a two-kilometre stretch of floating garbage — thousands of used @@@@@@s, wet naps, tampons and plastic applicators.

“I’ve never seen anything like this out on the lake, but I don’t know if it was because it was so calm and glassy,” said Mattson. “It was a lot of disgusting toiletries floating along with this sewage. That’s how you know it’s coming from the sewers, because you’re seeing things people flush down the toilet, as opposed to tennis balls, chip bags and cigarettes, which come from storm water.”

It keeps getting worse apparently, maybe they need to ban all imports of fish from Canada until they get their waters cleaned up. I can't believe this is the same country that pretends to care about the environment. All the money wasted on global warming could have cleaned some of this up, what a scam.

First headache is when those objects stop up the toilet (where's the plunger)? :angry:

Some things are easier to remove from sewage (simple objects) than others (chemical  /  drugs).  

This is becoming a big issue.

http://beachchairscientist.com/2013/02/25/whats-in-your-medicine-cabinet-affects-aquatic-life/

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/emerging/info_sheet_pharmaceuticals/en/

DontFlushPharmsGraphic2006.jpg

pharma.jpg

fish.jpg

• Like 1

Huntingdon area residents fed up with wastewater stench

Some residents of Godmanchester, Huntingdon and Hinchinbrooke have had it with a recurring, nauseating scent coming from the wastewater treatment center.

The town blames the bouts of stench on environmental factors and local factories dumping large quantities of waste into the sewage system, but plant director Martin Forget admits the septic tanks have never been fully cleaned out.

"We've always had good water quality so we were never rushed to do it."

So they just wait for the whole system to back up before they do any maintenance, then see what happens. How scary is that. I only hope Canada maintains their nuclear power plants better than sewage treatment plants.

Stream closed due to elevated bacteria levels

A stream flowing to St. Margaret's Beach from Hay River Pond has been closed by P.E.I. public health officials due to elevated bacteria levels possibly caused by sewage.

Elevated bacteria levels 

Late last month, the province was notified about possible sewage in the outflow stream. Samples taken from the water by officials with the Department of Communities, Land and Environment showed elevated levels of bacteria. 

Even though the source has not been confirmed, environment officials say cottage septic systems in the area is not the cause of the problem, and suggested that illegally dumped sewage could be the source.

Don't they mean the legal dumping of sewage? lol

When I was a kid we would develop photo prints in Lake Ontario, the water was so polluted by Kodak's chemical dumping. It was a yearly field trip for art class in the early to mid 70's. OTOH, Kodak donated scads of fantastic materials-overhead enlargers (I remember when we got a COLOR one!) paper, film, chemicals. I remember one year we had a 8mm movie camera-what fun!

Ontario has since been "cleaned up". I won't swim in it.

When I was a kid we would develop photo prints in Lake Ontario, the water was so polluted by Kodak's chemical dumping. It was a yearly field trip for art class in the early to mid 70's. OTOH, Kodak donated scads of fantastic materials-overhead enlargers (I remember when we got a COLOR one!) paper, film, chemicals. I remember one year we had a 8mm movie camera-what fun!

Ontario has since been "cleaned up". I won't swim in it.

I've noticed the return of a great many species of birds in my area in the past few years.  Bans on pesticides have helped.  Why the Republicans wish to do away with environmental controls is beyond me. 

I've noticed the return of a great many species of birds in my area in the past few years.  Bans on pesticides have helped.  Why the Republicans wish to do away with environmental controls is beyond me. 

They're not "doing away" but lifting certain restrictions so the Zika virus can be contained.

https://policy.house.gov/legislative/bills/hr-897-zika-vector-control-act

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/health/zika-virus-florida-case.html?_r=0

• Like 1
Canadian Olympic Committee Says Zika And Water Concerns Are 'Over-Hyped'

The Canadian Olympic Committee's chief medical officer feels that water concerns and Zika virus worries have been overhyped leading into the Rio Olympics.

Dr. Bob McCormack said Wednesday that Canadian athletes don't feel water problems will be an issue since quality tests have met international standards at event venues.

With the waterways in Canada being polluted daily by raw sewage, it is no wonder they say the Rio Olympics seem so normal, lol.

Rio Olympics sailor Lee Parkhill says Toronto Harbour 'almost worse than what I see here'

The water conditions in Rio de Janeiro don't appear as bad as what's being reported, and the Toronto Harbour is sometimes "almost worse," according to a Canadian Olympic sailor who is in the Brazilian city for his first Games.

Parkhill, of Oakville, Ont., has been training in the waters off Rio for eight weeks, preparing for the men's single-handed Laser dinghy competition.

So he is saying too that Canadian waters are worse than the filthy waters of Rio. lol That means Canada is now below that of a third-world country, does it get any more scary that that.

Wabush wants proper wastewater treatment plant

Wabush's wastewater treatment plant is an embarrassment, says the town's mayor, and the town is hoping for federal funding to fix it.

This year, Vardy said there's been about $800,000 in upgrades done to the residential treatment plant, but the sewage still empties in a nearby lake. The mayor estimates the town needs between $14 million and $15 million for upgrades in the industrial park, the residential plant and some freshwater upgrades.

They should be fining your town for polluting a lake with raw sewage every day until you fix it.

Endangered sea turtle died after eating garbage bag, says rescue group

A Newfoundland and Labrador whale rescue organization says a leatherback turtle that washed up at Point Lance on Tuesday died after eating a garbage bag.

Wayne Ledwell of Whale Release and Strandings said the group found the green garbage bag blocking the animal's gut during its necropsy.

About a third of leatherbacks that wash up are found to have ingested some sort of plastic.

"They've got so much problems to deal with, and all those problems originated from us and the stuff we do to oceans, we treat it like it's our sewage — we throw and dump everything into it. It's a needless waste to lose one of these animals this way."

They are dumping garbage in that area of Canada too? Pretty soon it will be up to where Santa lives.

Endangered sea turtle died after eating garbage bag, says rescue group

A Newfoundland and Labrador whale rescue organization says a leatherback turtle that washed up at Point Lance on Tuesday died after eating a garbage bag.

Wayne Ledwell of Whale Release and Strandings said the group found the green garbage bag blocking the animal's gut during its necropsy.

About a third of leatherbacks that wash up are found to have ingested some sort of plastic.

"They've got so much problems to deal with, and all those problems originated from us and the stuff we do to oceans, we treat it like it's our sewage — we throw and dump everything into it. It's a needless waste to lose one of these animals this way."

They are dumping garbage in that area of Canada too? Pretty soon it will be up to where Santa lives.

Where's Greenpeace?

• Like 1

Gatineau to finally track sewer overflows into the Ottawa River

The City of Gatineau is installing devices so it can finally measure the volume of its sewer overflows into the Ottawa River.

Part of the challenge, he said, is that Gatineau has 92 sites where a combination of raw sewage and storm water can discharge, especially when the sewer system is overloaded by big storms or spring melts that would otherwise flood basements.

"I don't think people really understand how often untreated sewage is going in the river."

No, we understand how often, you just get away with it, lol.

Mining company facing charges for alleged damage to Hecate Strait island

A B.C. mining company, along with its CEO and chief geologist, are facing charges for allegedly releasing waste material into woods, wetland, and water on a Hecate Strait island.

They have been charged with 18 offenses for allegedly violating the province's Environmental Management Act, including failure to report a spill of a polluting substance and repeatedly failing to comply with environmental permits.

"It's too little too late," Jennifer Rice said in reacting to news of the charges. "Gitxaala raised alarm bells throughout the process, from the get-go, and called the ministry, called up the provincial government and said 'have you checked this site out?' And they never did."

Even when people report violations they don't check on them until its too late. How scary can it get.

• 1 month later...

Decades of dumping raw sewage is killing Victoria's ocean floor, diver claims

A commercial diver is claiming that decades of dumping raw sewage off Victoria's coast is slowly killing its surrounding ocean beds.

Allan Crow, a fisherman, commercial diver and member of the Victoria Sewage Treatment Alliance, has been diving in these waters for 35 years.

"I've observed over a long period of time ... subtle changes. It has escalated for sure in the last 10-15 years."

Crow claims these changes are a result of the decades-long practice of raw sewage from Victoria and the surrounding area being dumped directly into the ocean.

Like I said, I would never go fishing in Canada or eat any fish caught there.

Cops: Mint Worker Smuggled Out $135K in Gold —in His Butt

Leston Lawrence is accused of stealing a lot of precious metal in Canada

A man whose job was to test gold for purity at the Royal Canadian Mint is accused of stealing $135,000 in precious metal—in his ****. Leston Lawrence, 35, was known to set off the Mint's metal detectors more often than most, but he always passed a search with a hand-held wand, according to prosecutors.

The Mint—where "gold is left sitting around in open buckets," says Lawrence's lawyer, Gary Barnes—could find no record of the alleged thefts, but investigators say they found four nuggets in Lawrence's possession after executing a search warrant.

They think of everything in Canada, lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Canadian municipalities dump billions of litres of raw sewage, untreated waste water into waterways

Canadian cities and towns dumped more than 205 billion litres of raw sewage and untreated waste water into the country’s rivers and oceans last year, CBC News has learned.

The amount of untreated waste water, which includes raw sewage and rain and snow runoff, that flowed into Canadian rivers and oceans last year would fill 82,255 Olympic-size swimming pools — an increase of 1.9 per cent over 2014, the CBC investigation has found.

“These numbers are still really alarming,” Elaine MacDonald, an environmental engineer with Ecojustice, told CBC News. “There’s obviously a lot of untreated waste water that’s still entering the environment.”

Coast to coast pollution

The discharges or raw sewage and untreated water pollute the environment from coast to coast, with toilet paper washing up on the Atlantic coast near small towns in Newfoundland and Labrador, and divers reporting sick kelp and polluted scallops near sewage discharge pipes on the Pacific coast in Victoria, British Columbia.

It's time to start spending the money to clean up the environment in Canada instead of wasting it on global warming and other ridiculous programs.

Cops: Mint Worker Smuggled Out $135K in Gold —in His Butt

Leston Lawrence is accused of stealing a lot of precious metal in Canada

A man whose job was to test gold for purity at the Royal Canadian Mint is accused of stealing $135,000 in precious metal—in his ****. Leston Lawrence, 35, was known to set off the Mint's metal detectors more often than most, but he always passed a search with a hand-held wand, according to prosecutors.

The Mint—where "gold is left sitting around in open buckets," says Lawrence's lawyer, Gary Barnes—could find no record of the alleged thefts, but investigators say they found four nuggets in Lawrence's possession after executing a search warrant.

They think of everything in Canada, lol.

Could make for a new James Bond movie title "The Man With The Golden ***". :P