Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you think the actors of today could survive in Old Hollywood?

Hello, from Fort Pierce, FL.

I think some of the women could make it on their looks, but when it comes to substance, no. Only a hand full of men could make it, but most of them are not American. The American actors for the most part would seem too feminine back then, or at least, boyish and unconvincing as men.

Depp would have done well. Maybe Hanks. Mel Gibson. Selleck would probably even have done better, as far as movies go. Sandra Bullock would have done well, I think. Maybe Ashley Judd, based on her looks. I'd like to see her in Postman, now that I think of it. Those are a few that come to mind but I don't know much about contemporay actors.

I think it would be far easier for the actors of today to survive the old Hollywood, than it would for the old Hollywood stars to survive in today's Hollywood. To be without the studio system that trained, nurtured, protected them and built their images would have kept many of them from reaching success. Conversely, many of today's stars would be even more successful under the tutelage of the studio system.

I think Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep, Robert DeNiro, Johnny Depp, Julianne Moore, Sam Jackson, Ian McKellan, Clancy Brown, Joan Allen, Daniel Day Lewis, Viggo Mortenson, Maria Bello, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Kevin Spacey, Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Diane Lane, Tobey Maquire, Chris Cooper, James Earl Jones,

and David Strathern all would have survived back in the day to one degree or another.

Character actors were more prized back then so we have to take that into accountant as well.

But I consider those above to be as talented as the stars of Old Hollywood.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

LZcutter, I agree with a few of your selections, such as Robert DeNiro, Ian McKellan, Robert Duvall, and James Earl Jones. I think Morgan Freeman would also have a great shot, as well as Helen Hunt and Jodie Foster.

Last but not least, let's not forget the up-and-coming star of tomorrow, Dakota Fanning!!!! She's a scene-stealing charmer. And if you'll look very closely, she has Bette Davis eyes!!!! ;-)

Larry

http://lwsroute66.proboards57.com/

66Cafe,

Don't forget the character actor portion that some of those on my list would have fit into quite nicely.

I thought of Dakota Fanning after I hit the send button. Thanks for adding her to this list!

As far as acting skills go, I'm sure many would have done just fine in old Hollywood. But from what I've read and heard about the old studio system, probably not. Many of the old stars have compared it to prison, and were glad to get out of their contracts by the time the studios began losing power. People now don't like being told what to do, how to look, where to go, with whom to associate, etc.. The same can be said for college and professional sports, pop music, our educational system, and society in general. It's a different world.

Sure, actors/actresses today could survive in old Hollywood. How? The Hollywood Machine back then would have classed them up, glamoured them up, beautified them up, gave them an image.

The majority of today's stars don't have a face, image, class, allure, mystery.

Most are just wild and out of control, non-caring, just a star to satisfy their own ego and don't care about their fans. (The fans who are paying their bills and making them famous.) Hollywood stars at least in the old days pretended they cared. Hollywood in the old days controlled their stars because they knew what it took to be stars forever. The controlling hurt and killed many, mentally and physically but we enjoy the products.