Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ACADEMY TRIBUTE TO OLIVIA DEHAVILLAND

edgeciff

I had posted this announcement several months ago and now its finally here. DeHavilland will travel from her home in Paris as the Academy in Los Angeles pays tribute to this two-time Oscar winning actress on Wednesday, June 15. Robert Osborne will be hosting the event. This is something I have been looking forward to as I never expected to see DeHavilland in person. In addition the Los Angeles County Museum of Art will run a retrospective screening of DeHavilland's most famous films including ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, MY COUSIN RACHEL, TO EACH HIS OWN, GWTW and HOLD BACK THE DAWN. Ms. DeHavilland will also make another in-person appearance at the screening of THE HEIRESS and will discuss this film. So there are at least two chances to catch this great actress in person. Ms. DeHavilland will celebrate her 90th birthday on July 1.

Do you have a link for more information on this? I found your earlier post and there was some discussion about where this would take place.

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=72941&start=0&tstart=0

Do you have confirmation on where it will be held, how to get tickets, etc.? Perhaps there's a website? I'd be interested in attending if there were a hotel within walking distance (Walking? In Los Angeles?! I know, I'm crazy!) and tickets were still available...

Tracey, these events usually are not televised, which is unfortunate. Some clips may turn up on one of the entertainment shows that are usually telecast. It would be nice if TCM would tape this session and play back on their station.

Tickets for the DeHavilland tribute go on sale June 1 and I guarantee this will be a sold out affair. You need to send you check for $5 to...ACADEMY FOUNDATION, 8949 WILSHIRE BLVD., BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90211. Phone No. (310) 247-3600. WWW.OSCARS.ORG.

As for hotels, there are several in Beverly Hills: Beverly Hilton, Beverly Wilshire, nearby, etc. I am sure these hotels are very expensive. You probably can find a cheaper hotel in Downtown L.A. and travel by bus to Beverly Hills.

I'm so glad the Academy is doing this while she is still alive.AFI ought to be shut down for keeping her off the list.She is a class act.she got along with Bette,not her sister,but no one is perfect,Gifted and talented actress.she fought the studio too and won.I am so happy for her.Maybe she and Joan will kiss and make up before they are both gone,I hope.CONGRATULATIONS MS.DeHaviland!!!!

It's a kind of country club for the elite, AFI's been going after TV ratings for years, so there's little likelihood of that (full disclosure; I'm a graduate of AFI's Los Angeles conservatory).

It doesn't really matter anyway; in the interests of accuracy, the "Life Achievement Award" should be renamed "The Life Achievement Award for Directors and Actors" (no other disciplines need apply).

How absolutely marvelous that Miss DeHavilland is being feted! Cinesage, Jr., please, please, please report back. Did I say PLEASE?

thanks! -Susan

p.s. does anyone know how to change their screen name, I feel like I am shouting "SUSAN" every time I post. t.i.a.

Here's the text on how to change your handle:

...you can change your display name easily - here are the steps:

1. go to your Member Account page. This is not your control panel for the message boards, but the account information you have with TCM when you signed up. You can get to this by simply going to the home page after you have logged into the message boards, and select the link "account info" in the top right area of the page.

2. You will come to your Account Page that says "Member Services" - select the link "change your personal information"

3. About halfway down the page - you'll see a link near your current display name called "click here to change my display name" - follow the directions, and viola, you will be able to change your name.

PLEASE NOTE: changing your display name means our Message Board software will no longer track your previous posts, so these will not displayed or listed in your control panel once you change your name.

> Ms. Lenox, I see that you've found success! May your

> rise never fall.

Ah, my secret's out! here I am at the circus, I'm sure I'd rather be at the Balboa! Before we get into trouble, way off topic! I'll see you around the board!

Got to the Academy bright and early on Thursday, the first day the tickets for the tribute were to go on sale, only to find that they'd already sold out!

Want to know why?

Because they put a four-ticket maximum on purchases, instead of a more sensible two (who needs four, except to scalp two of them?), which the folks at the Academy admitted to me was, in retrospect, a mistake.

They've only been holding such events for the last thousand years, or so; you'd think they'd have figured out how to run things properly by now.

Now I've got to try to call in one of my innumerable markers (none of which is Shirley Temple) to try to score a couple of tickets.

Morons.

CineSage, Jr., that stinks! Hope someone comes through for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-Susan

"Don't say something stinks, dear, if absolutely necessary, say smells. But only if absolutely necessary." - The Philadelphia Story

CineSage, I just got a big disappointment too re the DeHavilland event. I sent my check for a ticket to this event two days before it went on sale. A letter dated June 1 (the date the tickets were to go on sale) stated show sold out!!! How can this be? My letter and check should have arrived May 31. Tickets were to go on sale June 1. My guess is that the Academy members (who must get first preference) took the whole house (buying 4 tickets each for their friends) and any outsiders were cut out of buying any tickets at all. I know the theatre holds close to 1/2 the house seats for these events, but I always get a ticket if I send for the events ASAP. I was told to wait for standby for tickets. This is something I won't do since I expect more than 50 people to go standby and I think this is a waste of time. My gripe is that if Academy members buy out the house, why put this event on sale for the general public!

Actually, I think it's just the opposite Edgecliff; as of Monday (according to a source I have at the Academy) there were still seats available for members (obviously, a substantial block of tickets were reserved for members, but that's appropriate).

When I got to the Academy on the afternoon of the first, there was already a stack of received mail on the ticket desk with requests for tickets that were going to have to be returned to the obviously disappointed senders.

No, I think that the availability of up to four tickets to the general public was the problem. It's frankly the dumbest thing I've encountered in a long time. The Los Angeles County Museum's conversation with DeHavilland prior to screeing THE HEIRESS is now sold out, too, but the Museum didn't set an arbitrary first-day-of-sale date that created a rush for tickets; consequently, buying tickets was easy, even though there was no maximum number one could purchase.

The Academy geniuses could learn a few lessons from the folks a couple of miles east on Wilshire Boulevard.

I must confess that the whole debacle irritates me about as much as something that's obviously not a personal, intentional slight can.

A paraphrase of one of George C. Scott's lines from PATTON keeps running through my mind:

The woman may be making her last trip to Los Angeles, and the man who owns Errol Flynn's ROBIN HOOD sword is to be left out of it?? God will not allow this to happen!

CineSage, I think since the Academy does take a substantial block of seats for their people and this is a VERY special event, only one ticket per person should have been allowed. Unfortunately what is done is done and as I stated this was a big disappointment for me. Would hope that maybe some tape of this event surfaces. If you at least got a ticket to the LA County Museum event you are very lucky.

I wonder if you should go to the theatre that night anyway. So many times I have gotten into sold out events that were considered "impossible". People become ill or are unexpectedly detained and their pal brings the ticket to the theatre in hopes of giving/selling it to another. Tenacity might be the key...