Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What role would you re-cast?

LuckyDan

Sierra Madre is one of my favorites, but poor Tim Holt is so overmatched by Bogart and Huston, I feel bad for him. Every time I watch it I think, who else was around back then that could have done the role of Curtin justice?A good-solid supporting actor, not too young, not too much star-power, but able and solid. Dan Duryea comes to mind usually.

So what role or roles in what movies would you re-cast?

I thought Tim Holt was perfect. He was so young, honest, and naive. Perfect casting in my opinion. He was weak, because that was his character.

He should have tied up Dobbs every night when they were on the trail together. But he didn?t because he was a weak nice guy who didn?t want to insult the crazy Dobbs. Dan Duryea would have been too strong a character, and he would have tied up Dobbs, and then Dobbs couldn?t have shot him and stole all the gold.

Tim did what he could, but there are some lines he delivers like a high-school actor, like the scene where he's talking about how "it must be grand" for a farmer to watch his crop come in. And I thought he was a pretty tough guy, myself. He helped Bogie beat the bejeezus out of the sleazy boss who wouldn't pay them. He's not a bad actor, just out of his league here, I think.

But I would like to read any thoughts others have about what roles they'd re-cast, if they could.

P.S. Re-reading this, it sounds like I was chasing you off, Dobsy. Didn't mean to leave that impression. YOu make a good point about Curtin's naive, trusting character and Duryea may not have been able to deliver that.

Message was edited by:

LuckyDan

In John Fords' "The Horse Soldiers" starring John Wayne,Constance Towers played the female lead,who at first is very antagonistic toward Wayne,she is a "Confederate" and he is a "Yankee" army officer who uses her plantation as an outpost,and then takes her,and her maid,on a dangerous mission behind rebel lines.because he can't trust that they won't tip off the Sout.The two ladies had overheard the Yanks plans thru a clever method,which I will not give away,in this short write-up.If available,Maureen O'Hara, would been a better choice.In the Ford directed "Rio Grande" she plays Wayne estranged Southern wife and he a Northern General.But maybe "Pappy" Ford was still feuding with the Irish colleen,as per her bio,"Tis Herself"Discussing that book MAY take up many pages on TCMs' website.The John Ford-John Wayne-Maureen O'Hara combination was unbeatable!

Laurence Olivier as Ashley Wilkes in Gone With the Wind.

Lena Horne as Julie in Show Boat (no offense to Ava Gardner, who did just fine in the role).

Julie Andrews as Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady (no brainer).

Frank Sinatra as Sky Masterson and Louis Prima as Nathan Detroit in Guys and Dolls.

Gregory Peck as Linus Larrabee in Sabrina.

I guess I would put in someone that you could actually believe Scarlett would chose over Rhett in Gone With The Wind!

No, I think a wimpy Ashley was just what was needed to stay true to the book. He was this ideal Scarlett had and she thought she loved him because she couldn't understand him--he was so different from her other beaux.

Can you imagine if she'd ever gotten him--she'd have eaten him for breakfast and still had room for barbecue! In reality, she needed a big strong he man like Rhett to slap her down (figuratively) when she needed it, someone who knew just what she was and loved her anyway.

Are we suggesting that Ingrid Bergman is not worthy of Rick Blaine's pining? I find her unforgettable!

As for Ashley Wilkes, well I think of the Big Five (Leigh, Gable, DeHavilland, Howard, McDaniels) from that picture, Leslie Howard is the weak link. But motivationally the character still works. Scarlett's feelings for him are that of a schoolgirl crush. Remember, she was 16 when the movie opens. She knew Ashley long before she'd ever met Rhett. And when she did meet Rhett is under humiliating circumstances. So it all makes sense, that she would still choose Ashley over Rhett, regardless of the charms and presence of Clark Gable. Eventually, Gable would win over Howard; and that's just what happened with Butler over Wilkes.

?P.S. Re-reading this, it sounds like I was chasing you off, Dobsy. Didn't mean to leave that impression.?

Hi, Lucky,

Don?t worry about it. I love this board. People can disagree and yet not get into big arguments. Dan Duryea would have kicked Dobbs? butt, and I think that?s why they used a guy like Tim Holt. He was such a kind-hearted man, like Howard was. Howard had years to become tough and wise, but he was still kind-hearted. Tim was kind-hearted but had not yet had years to become tough. He knew that Dobbs was mentally ill, so he didn?t want to hurt him. That made me admire Tim. So, the moral of the movie is that the two kind-hearted guys survived, while the crazy scheming one was responsible for his own downfall.

I like the way Howard was about to join with the other two to shoot the stranger, but he didn?t want to do it. Then when the stranger spotted the bandits, Howard suddenly called him ?friend? and allowed him to join their group, and he was in fact suddenly grateful that the stranger had come along. This reminds me of certain situations in life where circumstances can suddenly change and in some respects all our lives are so influenced by luck and chance.

Tracey, I agree with you about wimpy Ashley. Scarlett was supposed to be only 16 years old at the beginning of the book/movie. Rhett was and older wiser man of the world, and I think he frightened Scarlett, but Ashley didn't. I think Scarlett saw that she could push Ashley around.

Wow! If Ashley had been either Tyrone Power or Errol Flynn, Scarlett would never have chosen Gable! Those two are in my top five! I agree with most of you who conclude that Ashley had to be weak so Scarlett could push him around and eventually tire of him. Howard was perfect! Even we got tired of him.

And, Jack, it's not that Ingrid isn't worth pining for! It's just that the role was wasted on her. Hedy should have done it. It was tailor made for her. When Louis says to Ilsa, "I was informed that you were the most beautiful woman to ever visit Casablanca. That was a gross understatement!" I think we all should have been looking at Hedy. Ahhhhhh!

As for Gaslight! Hedy could NEVER have done it. That was Ingrid at her best! But another role I thought should have been Miss Lamarr's was Mr. Skeffington. Bette as Fanny Trellis, the reigning New York beauty, was believable only because of Bette's talent, and even then, questionable. Hedy would have just floated through the picture!

Bette as Fanny Trellis, the reigning New York beauty, was believable only because of Bette's talent, and even then, questionable. Hedy would have just floated through the picture!

I love to watch Bette Davis when she's playing someone who thinks they are beautiful--it's like Margaret Mitchell's description of Scarlett: "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm .... " Bette acts beautiful and so she is.

Yes! I love Bette!!! Anything she does, she does well! And, she has no equal. I just like to fight for Hedy. She got such a bad deal, partly her own fault! One of my personal favorite Davis films is The Sisters. She gets paired with Errol Flynn!! Yea! She is just great!

You're right--Ashley wasn't really weak, not like Frank Kennedy or young and stupid like Charles Hamilton. He was a dreamer and an intellectual and and Idealist. Had the Civil War never happened, he would have been just fine, reading his books and discussing intellectual subjects with hsi friends while Melanie ran everything. But unlike Scarlett and Rhett, he doesn't adapt well to the harshness of Reconstruction and War.

"And, Jack, it's not that Ingrid isn't worth pining for! It's just that the role was wasted on her. Hedy should have done it. ..."

I'm stunned. Miss Bergman is so deeply ingrained in my memory of Ilsa Lund I cannot imagine anyone else in the role... Surely if someone else played the role they would have to change her name to something less Scandanavian...

As for Miss Lamar in Gaslight or Mr. Skeffington... You know, I think Hedy Lamar was one of the greatest beauties of the 20th century (right up there with the Gibson Girl, Garbo, Deneuve and Sean Young), but I never thought of her as a very good actress. Perhaps I haven't seen her best roles yet? She's rather wooden in Ziegfeld Girl. So having her in roles that require multi-dimensions, well...

Yes, I agree completely. She was rather wooden in everything. The very best role she ever played was, The Strange Woman, for her own company. If you ever get a chance to see it, you might think she could act. I actually think she might have deserved a nomination for that one.

And, Ok, Ilsa belongs to Ingrid. I will just drop it. There's no use crying over spilled milk anyway. Hedy, poor Hedy, just didn't know what she was doing. She should have done Casablanca, Gaslight, Mr Skeffington, Laura and who knows what else, but was either not loaned because she angered Mayer, or because she was too dumb to know a good script when she saw it! Either way, like I said, it was partly her fault. And, lucky for Ingrid, Bette and Gene!!!

For me, Camille is Garbo's strongest performance in a sound film. However, there's a flaw that nags at me every time I see the movie. The flaw is Robert Taylor. Granted, the part calls for an actor who can appear young and inexperienced, but that doesn?t mean the part should actually be played by a young and inexperienced actor. I don't know who would have been a better choice. Any suggestions?

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Robert Taylor and Greta Garbo made such a physically beautiful couple. I don't remember thinking he was lacking, but I doubt I paid much attention to him. I'll have to watch this again for a reassessment. I wonder if Franchot Tone would have leant some deeper qualities to the role. It's just that I never thought of Armand as being that "deep". He's young, naive, passionate and not very bright. If we updated it, he would be a college football player with Chris Klein in the role.

Archived