Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

redriver

I have had a few people correct me but they have been really great about it.I have been lucky so far to have some nice cohorts on the board ,and yes my skin is getting tougher am new as well .Have fun!

welcome redriver I have only been on afew weeks myself and Rocky Road is right you do have to have a thick skin I already know from some mistakes I've made but there is alot of good people here and they have replied to you already and you do get alot of help . I spelled your name wrong on last reply sorry.

It's nice to see a fellow Canadian here [i am a Vancouverite - actually Burnaby, to be more precise] and am jumping around and about, responding to various threads, and am finding it quite diverting.

The volume of encyclopedic knowledge contained herein isquite something to behold. I try not to get too intimidated by it, though. I hope these forums are all about information sharing and friendly repartee/debate.

Life is too short to become involved in death matches about something we care about [film], although I don't think I like hearing about the devolution of the TCM programming mandate [if there is such a thing]...the thought of Wilmer Valderrama and The Lost Weekendin the same vicinity [with all due respect to today's youthful acting talent] will have to be explained to me, in terms of its rightful place on this or any other medium...

Enjoy yourselves...

Yup! Classic Howard Hawks western with the most striking cinematography I've ever seen. John Wayne as the bad guy!

Tell me this. TCM is emailing me every time ANYBODY posts ANYTHING. As in twenty times a day. Can I stop that?

"Tell me this. TCM is emailing me every time ANYBODY posts ANYTHING. As in twenty times a day. Can I stop that?"

Yes, redriver: Go to "Your Control Panel". You'll find the e-mail settings there.

P.S. I'm feeling dimwitted tonight. When I first saw your name I read it as re-driver. I assumed you were a chauffeur of used cars... Duh!

I wonder how many handles are chosen for movie titles. How many are actors/actresses/directors? And how many are movie characters? I've recognized Fred C. Dobbs (from Treasure of the Sierra Madre) and WaldoLydekker (from Laura) and me, of course!

I must confess that I also saw 're-driver' at first glance until I replaced the burnt-out bulb and saw the light...

Reminds me of the time I went to the bakery section of the grocery store and wondered what 'uni-ced' cake was...I was just a boy and it bothered me for the longest time...until...hello...I noticed that some cakes had icing and others were 'un-iced'...then there was the time I was on vacation with the family and the waitress asked me whether I wanted 'superjuice'...being only a lad, I answered, "Yes, I would," in my most grown-up voice. She asked me again - a touch more slowly - and was presented with the appropriate choice of mealtime starters: 'soup' or 'juice'...[you see, there was no Red Bull back in the day]. Truth is stranger than fiction.

But, I digress...

It would be interesting to hear what others might choose if they had to pick a movie character's name for a handle...

I did have to check yours, Jack...didn't recognize it right away...from "San Francisco", if I'm not mistaken.

I'll have to do some thinking about that [too bad Waldo is taken - good choice, that one].

"It would be interesting to hear what others might choose if they had to pick a movie character's name for a handle...

I did have to check yours, Jack...didn't recognize it right away...from 'San Francisco', if I'm not mistaken.

I'll have to do some thinking about that [too bad Waldo is taken - good choice, that one]."

Yes, Jack Burley is from San Francisco, as am I. I've also seen Klaatu and Susan Lenox on the boards. There're a lot of characters here (and yes, that's a double entendre).

> It would be interesting to hear what others

> might choose if they had to pick a movie character's

> name for a handle...

C. K. Dexter Haven

The Third Man

MacGuffin (strictly speaking, not a character)

Chicolini

Maj. Amberson

Fourth Starling from the Right in the Birds

Bertram Potts (there's already a Sugarpuss here)

Mortimer Brewster (even better, isn't one of the bodies named Mr. Spanozo--or something like that?)

Richard Hannay (I know better than to choose Mr. Memory)

Chester Kent

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

I use my actual initials, because I find it too hard to choose just one cinema handle and stick with it.

However, if I had to, I guess I'd like to go by "Mata Machree."

Who knows what that's from?

> Hi, everybody! I've never done this before. Not

> sure how it works. At any rate, I'm a big movie fan,

> happy to correspond with others. I watch TCM all the

> time, and love to talk about it. More later.

Welcome redriver, its nice to meet you. I'm new to the boards here as well so you have some company with figuring out what's what. Have fun. :)

Welcome, redriver. I am sure you can tell about whom I am a Maniac! You will find everyone very helpful and playful here. Some pretty funny stuff is said, intentionally or not!

And, by the way, DavidEnglish, please inform us from which movie each of those characters comes! I got about 3/4 of them, but I just can't place some of the others.

> And, by the way, DavidEnglish, please inform us from

> which movie each of those characters comes! I got

> about 3/4 of them, but I just can't place some of the

> others.

C. K. Dexter Haven (The Philadelphia Story)

The Third Man (The Third Man)

MacGuffin (Not technically a character, it's Hitchcock's term for a misleading plot element)

Chicolini (Duck Soup)

Maj. Amberson (The Magnificent Ambersons -- short for Major Amberson)

Fourth Starling from the Right in the Birds (The Birds)

Bertram Potts (Ball of Fire)

Mortimer Brewster (Arsenic and Old Lace)

Richard Hannay (The 39 Steps)

Chester Kent (Footlight Parade)

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Toomanynotes, I wondered if that's how you picked your screen name! Love that movie...

BTW, David, the dead body in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE was Mr. Spinalzo, I believe (the body brought in by Jonathan), the dead body that the aunts killed with the poisoned wine was Mr. Hoskins, he was a Methodist. I was in the play many many moons ago...

Sandy K